Coliseum

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

"Consider the wolf. It likes to eat sheep. We like to eat sheep too, but we do not need to. We can eat other food. But the wolf has no duty towards the sheep and it only thinks of the sheep as its means to survive. But we tend the sheep, and raise it, and care for it, and even have it as a pet…and just when it thinks we are its friend and puts its full trust in us, we slit its throat. But we do not believe we are bad. Instead we believe the wolf is." 
But Jesus is our Sheppard and is always on guard for our safety because he knows that it is not the wolf which is bad, but the "wolf" dressed in sheep’s clothing. 

Edited by Coliseum

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

3 hours ago, Coliseum said:

and just when it thinks we are its friend and puts its full trust in us, we slit its throat.

Men do this to women everyday, not sheep.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

Some do Renee---some, not all. If you have been hurt in the past, I am deeply sorry.

When Israel committed adultery against God, His pain must have been incomprehensible. Thank God He did not stop loving her. When Jesus was betrayed by Judas, do you remember what he said right before Judas gave him a kiss to point the arresting soldiers to who Jesus was? He said, "Friend, do what you came for." Jesus, up until the very second he was betrayed, identified Judas as friend---even though he knew Judas would be the one to bring him to the cross. 

It is very hard sometimes to forgive others when their offenses toward us are great.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

15 minutes ago, Coliseum said:

If you have been hurt in the past, I am deeply sorry.

Thanks. I’m not thinking about myself at all. The people who hurt me were held accountable in different ways. 

I couldn’t help myself when I saw you talking about gaining trust and then slitting throats. Was talking to an author today who wrote a book about violence against women and how long it takes to recover and hearing her talk about the number of women suffering was just overwhelming. You mentioned forgiveness, but I wish more in the church were thinking about prevention. Off to bed. Have a good night. 

Edited by ReneeIW
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

7 hours ago, Coliseum said:

"Consider the wolf. It likes to eat sheep. We like to eat sheep too, but we do not need to. We can eat other food. But the wolf has no duty towards the sheep and it only thinks of the sheep as its means to survive. But we tend the sheep, and raise it, and care for it, and even have it as a pet…and just when it thinks we are its friend and puts its full trust in us, we slit its throat. But we do not believe we are bad. Instead we believe the wolf is." 
But Jesus is our Sheppard and is always on guard for our safety because he knows that it is not the wolf which is bad, but the "wolf" dressed in sheep’s clothing. 

I will agree with that. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

16 hours ago, Coliseum said:

Dichotomy.

The statement between the quotes above can go a lot of different ways.  Already has illicited comments springing from the very real pain of some readers.

It is sufficiently vague as to make many regular posters hold off, I think.

I like it as it brings to focus an difficult concept in allegory.  In extrapolating allegory, how far is too far?

I would try to expand that, but today I can't face the Scythians.   

I'm not sure that a study of the limits of allegory is the direction you wanted to go, Coliseum.