Isaiah90

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I remember seeing an ad of a Christian youth conference in my area. The church had flashing, fancy lights, teens praying, and praising as usual with a Christian pop song playing. I shook my head in disappointment and remember why i left church. 

I dislike how Christianity has become more of a pop culture than an actual way of living. When i walk into a youth service, it feels more like a concert than a place of worship. Many young people leave church because they don't see any need for it in their lives. It's clear to see why. Many churches don't know how to make the Christian faith practical for young people. When young people walk in the church, they go through the same routine of praying for revivals and singing along to the music. After that, they walk out and don't practice the faith outside of church.

When i was a pre teen and a new convert, i didn't go to church despite being a Christian. I was out there preaching the Gospel to many people, loving my enemies, trying to be kind to people, casting out demons from people, list goes on. When i went to churches years later, i thought the Christians there had the same mindset. I was later shocked when I found out they didn't.

I became discouraged with churches in general so I left. You can't see Jesus work if you're always living a passive life. You have to be active in your faith in the face of adversity and suffering. Unfortunately, many professing Christians don't want to do that. 

• This is Worthy 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I'd say it's people in general rather than just being young. A number of churches get more interested in filling the seats with quantity rather than quality. Many people might see the church as dour, dull, sober, and virginal. So, to get those butts in those seats, they bring in music and food and bright, blinking lights. They wiggle keys in front of your face going, "golly, religion sure is fun, huh?" All it does is minimize the religion. It's a church, not a frat house.

I agree, it is dumb. Not that fun can't be a thing, but the church is for worship. Such programs fail because they are limp-wristed rather than hard-hitting. If there's no weight or substance behind it, then it has little to no impact.

That, of course, creates the conundrum; how do we get people interested? By being a living example. Not so much counteracting that "dour virgin" image by throwing concerts, but instead, by showing people in our personal lives the peace and comfort that comes through Christ. All these little social games and dances people play, and all anyone ever wants or needs is someone who can make eye contact and hold a real, honest communication.

As for a church... I can't really talk much because I don't really attend either. I can't really explain why, per say... I guess it's the idea of going to this church and that church then this church, just trying to find a decent one. Sounds tiresome. Then a discomfort at the idea that, if I show up, they might expect me to be there from henceforth. Like, as soon as I walk in, they go, "oh hey a new member," and I'm just browsing over here, I don't know. However, there's a difference between God and people. In any congregation, there's probably a number of people that avoid one another. No such thing as a perfect church (in a manner of speaking). Only thing I can think of to say is that one must be the change they wish to see. Let yourself serve as an example. If there are issues in the congregation, isn't it better fixed, rather than left to break further?

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Maybe my standards are lower than that of others. I have had no problem being led by God to local bodies of Christ that  are solid groups of saints raising their families and their children are learning as well as working in Jesus' faith.  

I am associating with three at his time, plus two Christian schools. I see families to the third generation now, raising their own  and their own raising their own in turn.

The children of my middle age adult years are now the elders plus the teachers and even the administrators of the churches and the schools. They do not  just attend at a building, and then walk away from  our Lord. They embrace the whole body, the church, and love to serve one another for one another to the Glory of our LORD.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

If God is doing a work through them, good.  I have been to seeker friendly churches and they are fine, you just won't find much meat to chew on.  Mostly milk.  Some of the music is too loud for me, so I use ear plugs when attending.  Thing is, not every church will be a fit for everyone.  Find one that does fit and don't tear down what He may be doing in the lives of other just because of personal preferences. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, OneLight said:

If God is doing a work through them, good.  I have been to seeker friendly churches and they are fine, you just won't find much meat to chew on.  Mostly milk.  Some of the music is too loud for me, so I use ear plugs when attending.  Thing is, not every church will be a fit for everyone.  Find one that does fit and don't tear down what He may be doing in the lives of other just because of personal preferences. 

It's not a matter of preference. It's a matter of practicing what you preach. There's alot of Christians who don't practice what they preach. People make Christianity into a "feel good" community rather than about self sacrifice, discipleship, and a Christ centered way of living.   

5 hours ago, Repose said:

I'd say it's people in general rather than just being young. A number of churches get more interested in filling the seats with quantity rather than quality. Many people might see the church as dour, dull, sober, and virginal. So, to get those butts in those seats, they bring in music and food and bright, blinking lights. They wiggle keys in front of your face going, "golly, religion sure is fun, huh?" All it does is minimize the religion. It's a church, not a frat house.

I agree, it is dumb. Not that fun can't be a thing, but the church is for worship. Such programs fail because they are limp-wristed rather than hard-hitting. If there's no weight or substance behind it, then it has little to no impact.

That, of course, creates the conundrum; how do we get people interested? By being a living example. Not so much counteracting that "dour virgin" image by throwing concerts, but instead, by showing people in our personal lives the peace and comfort that comes through Christ. All these little social games and dances people play, and all anyone ever wants or needs is someone who can make eye contact and hold a real, honest communication.

As for a church... I can't really talk much because I don't really attend either. I can't really explain why, per say... I guess it's the idea of going to this church and that church then this church, just trying to find a decent one. Sounds tiresome. Then a discomfort at the idea that, if I show up, they might expect me to be there from henceforth. Like, as soon as I walk in, they go, "oh hey a new member," and I'm just browsing over here, I don't know. However, there's a difference between God and people. In any congregation, there's probably a number of people that avoid one another. No such thing as a perfect church (in a manner of speaking). Only thing I can think of to say is that one must be the change they wish to see. Let yourself serve as an example. If there are issues in the congregation, isn't it better fixed, rather than left to break further?

I couldn't agree more, especially on the quality and quantity part. Many churches don't attract quality converts because they keep preaching a watered down Gospel or don't present the truth. That's because if you preach the truth, less people will want to join. When Jesus spoke the truth about the father, many of his "disciples" left. When i walk into a church, i have a gut feeling that most people there are just faking. They're only there because its what's expected of them.  

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

People can’t reject what they have never heard..... many  churches, it not most  ,never preach the Good News That Jesus actually will save those that come to Him as a lost sinner who believes that Jesus died for ALL their sins and rose from the grave.Too often , all they Hear  is Juda-Anity - that would be Old Testament Law mixed with a little bit of Jesus to make it palatable.It sounds like this.... “Jesus Saves , But once you know that, you must quit sinning to “ prove” you are saved.Any sin that you forgot to repent of before you die will send you to Hell.You see, it’s all an “act like Jesus” contest and whoever puts on the best act gets Heaven as a reward for his deeds!This is what my old Methodist church preached .I am so happy I finally heard the Truth—NOTHING BUT THE BLOOD.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

A thing I have seen in the past several years is that young believers are taught more about "feeling good" than solidly knowing what they believe and why. Can they even defend the basics of their beliefs against those who would question them? Far too many in our world seek to tear down, and the young do not know how to defend from this.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

We stripped the supernatural from our teachings which largely stem from early theological Platonic thought such as espoused by Augustine. So the kids yawn...  ho hum.

Kids WANT supernatural stuff. Look at their 'super hero' and UFO interest and all the holly-weird alien stuff.

I just had to sit thru a study of Luke and Yeshua's transfiguration. No mention of WHERE He was and the Mt. Hermon things in Gen 6. No mention of how He poked the fallen deities in the eye sealing His death within a week. No mention of 'the gates of hell' and the fact they cannot withstand the church...  just passive same old blah-blah.

'Had they but known, they never would have killed the King of Glory'. Explain that to the kids and see their eyes light up. Show them Psalm 82 and Deut 32 and the Babel things - the real things. They WILL sit up and take notice. Talk about Ezekiel's wars and how they might relate to REAL events...

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

8 hours ago, Isaiah90 said:

It's not a matter of preference. It's a matter of practicing what you preach. There's alot of Christians who don't practice what they preach. People make Christianity into a "feel good" community rather than about self sacrifice, discipleship, and a Christ centered way of living.   

Yes and no, depending on if you are saying that those who teach milk are not doing His work or not.  I agree there are buildings people call church that are more about social issues than God as there is one in my community.  Yet, there is a seeker friendly church that is geared toward the young generation that does teach salvation and the milk of the word that is doing His work.  Then there are those who preach being gay is acceptable, which teaches against His word.   We can't just bundle them all together and say they are no good because they differ from what we seek.

• Thumbs Up 1