question 0n forginess

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Days Won:  0

Have you ever since you believed struggled with sincere forginess when one who wrongs you and knows it yet never asks to be forgiven.  or apologize.. I,am no novice to my faith yet even after thirty five years letting go is hard. They go on acting as if nothing ever happened. 

I know this is a common occurrence but would like to hear some answers from the matured believers. I know Forgiveness is a capital commandment still  it bothers me today when there mind is a blank.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

4 minutes ago, Mike Mclees said:

Have you ever since you believed struggled with sincere forginess when one who wrongs you and knows it yet never asks to be forgiven.  or apologize.. I,am no novice to my faith yet even after thirty five years letting go is hard. They go on acting as if nothing ever happened. 

I know this is a common occurrence but would like to hear some answers from the matured believers. I know Forgiveness is a capital commandment still  it bothers me today when there mind is a blank.  

It is very difficult to forgive someone who has hurt us. But the Bible does tell us to forgive. It will not happen over night. We can pray and ask God for the strength to forgive someone. It is not for their sake. They probably do not care. It is so we do not carry around bitterness in our hearts. Eventually it will destroy us. We do not have to have a relationship with that person ever again because they have betrayed our trust. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

By not forgiving someone subconsciously we want to punish them. But that is being vindictive and God does not want us to be vindictive. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

13 hours ago, Mike Mclees said:

The way I look at it, once a person repents of their sin, they should be forgiven. Repentance doesn't always require an apology, I don't think. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Mike--this is a very good and honest question. The Lord will help you with this, but I hope that the following will be of some help.

What I have seen in my own life and walk over time is that as I have come to truly 'know' how badly that I 'need' forgiveness, which comes from a long honest look at my own shortcomings and sin. Not an intellectual assent to this, but rather an experiential one. As we stand before our Lord 'naked' and 'transparent'--He does a work in us. We stand and receive His abundant Grace and this tends to change us and we find that it is easier to let that Grace and forgiveness flow through us toward others.

Words don't do justice to the Truth of Life, but I hope the Spirit makes this alive to you, because without His light, words are only words.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

It can surely be very difficult to forgive someone. God is patient and full of grace, but while He is waiting, if we continue to sow bitterness in the heart, that is what we reap. Sometimes we are not able to forgive; instead, we must go to Him who can enable us to do what we in ourselves cannot do. Jesus said, "Apart from me you can do nothing." It is always best to go to the person and try to resolve the matter if it is possible. We wear many masks---all of us; and to the extent that we do, we can neither give love, nor receive it. Only the mask gets the credit. 

Cheerleading for you brother.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 minutes ago, Coliseum said:

It can surely be very difficult to forgive someone.

This is a really good post, bro. It reads well and clearly so. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

16 hours ago, Mike Mclees said:

Hi Mike,

That was me before I came to Jesus. It was easier to just act like nothing happened and push down my guilt over the person(s) I had hurt. Now having been a believer for many years and having this done back to me. I have to just keep asking God to help me move on from the hurt and extend forgiveness to that person. Without a doubt it is hard, however I make a point to read passages in the bible that speak to me about forgiving others and I learn why God wants us to forgive others and I found that it really is beneficial for the person who extends the forgiveness. Eventually, God will provide the healing from the hurt in his own timing.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Hello Mike,

I feel that in forgiving those who injure us in some way we satisfy the command given by our Father.  For me, having sincerely extended forgiveness for what ever insult is perceived leaves me with a sense of peace and freedom.  An apology would be the proverbial cherry on the cake, however, simply knowing that I have done what is expected of me regarding forgiveness sustains me.  Why an apology offered by the offender would be desirable I think would relate to our need for a sense of closure on the matter.  I find that after truly forgiving someone, the memory and subsequent emotional attachments to the insult still remain.  Of course, this in no way affects our sincerely directed will.  For me prayer seems to quell any left over emotions which proceed from memories.  Unfortunately, we can forgive but we often cannot always forget.  Our corrupted nature is tenacious in these matters.  But, our sincerely directed will along with God's grace will suffice.       

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

The feelings can linger a lot but IMO actions carry more weight. If you make a conscious choice to do something nice for someone who's wronged you, or even just pray for them, you're on the right track.