• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.66
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

On 9/19/2019 at 10:23 PM, theInquirer said:

As an individual who is particularly prone to doubting things, I have often run up against doubt against my faith in God and my belief in His existence.  Whereas I thankfully have come through all my doubts so far, I have largely had to fight these doubts all on my own without much help from others (except, of course, from God).  I really don't mean to come across as arrogant, but most of my doubts have been such that nobody I know has had the knowledge to know how to help me, or at least not especially much, but I really do believe that having someone able to answer my questions would be very helpful.  With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone knows of any professional resources where I'd be able to ask my questions?  For example, Stand to Reason has a website str.org which is great, but doesn't really have too much of a place where I can ask my own questions.  

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. :) 

Inquirer--are you still there?

I must first ask you--is Jesus Christ your Lord and Savior?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,191
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

On 10/2/2019 at 6:31 PM, Abdicate said:

I still don't get if your with me or against me. Since George deleted something, I assume it's against me. So be it.

To explain, let me put a slightly different twist to an answer.

I'm often accused on this site of being anti-Christian.   This isn't the case for me personally, but seems to be the impression of some who respond to my posts.

While in seminary I discovered the depth and breadth of leadership conspiracy to quench the Holy Spirit and nudge their congregations into accepting their form of religious observance.  The time was the mid-1970's and the nation was at the end of the last great Holy Spirit revival.   Most main line denominations fought against the refreshing spiritual breeze that was blowing through people's hearts and lives.  I saw wrinkled old folks with a light of youth in their eyes and it gave me hope.  I saw young people grasp an interest in the Bible that only the old folk once held dear - until I entered the vine covered halls of the demonic leaders who guided them all.  Behind closed doors they'd exchange jokes and blasphemous stories that I would not dare to repeat here - censorship notwithstanding.  The folks in the pews had no idea what plots were being hatched against their new devotion.

In time the excitement died down.  The weeds took over and those that embraced tradition stayed and allowed poison to infect their minds and lethargy to seize their religious lives.  Those that resisted it left the fellowship, some never to return.   My brother in law was once a devout Methodist.  Today he will not even cross the threshold of any church.   I don't blame him.  Last time we went on vacation together the rest of the family wanted to go inside a Catholic cathedral to see the sites.   I wanted to go in too, but chose to sit outside on the front steps with my brother in law until the tour was over.  My skin is slightly thicker than his, but not much.

From the beginning of my saved experience with Christ I have been convinced that serious in-depth education was the only solution to the problem.  From that day to this I have found little or no such program.   If Bible studies exist in a church its usually on the middle school level - insulting to the intellectual development of most adults.  This is why the church parking lot has fewer cars parked there on Wednesday nights than on Sunday morning.   

There may be fellowship classes for the young, but they are taught nothing of substance.  I questioned one youth pastor about his program and he admitted he didn't address religious issues at all.   A high school student stood next to us during the conversation and I submitted a question to both.  The kid knew the correct answer and the leader did not.  That is pretty much how it stands now.   The garbage being fed to adults is mostly worthless.   One man in his late fifties asked me if I participated in Facebook.  When I said I didn't he said, "how can you learn anything if you don't Facebook?"   The idea that Facebook is primarily entertainment hadn't occurred to him. 60% of adults in America use social media to get news.  20% of those folks believe every word of it.

We had dinner with a good friend who is a public middle school teacher.   She told us the kids don't want to learn how to gather information, sort through it and produce a coherent report or statement.  "They just want the answer," she said.  "They say it hurts to think."

I have observed the same to be true on this web site as well as many others.  Christians don't want to think through the stuff they're reading - if they read at all.  They just want the answers because it hurts them to think.   The end result of all this is that those who don't think, have been and will be, victims of manipulation both secular and religious.   They become prey for both demonic and secular predators.   The problem is increasing in severity.

"The American people have no idea what is happening to them." - Pravda

Our enemies know what's wrong, but we choose to ignore it.   We seem to believe that if we close our eyes to the problem it will go away.  It won't!   If the reader pursues independent study, NOT one guided by some YouTube guru or religious celebrity, that person will soon discover the truth of what I've written here.  If the reader is content with just learning predigested answers, then nothing of value will be learned.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Edited by choir loft

On 10/5/2019 at 7:08 PM, Abdicate said:

Sorry, your explanation was a bit too beat-around-the-bush for me. I don't read between the lines very well. I'm very plain simple man. That's why I believe the word of God for what it says, plainly. Seminaries are cemeteries and from the devil like most buildings called "churches." This site, is the only "social" media I have other than my web site. I don't watch the news and I barely read the headlines. The great deception is upon us and yet many think it's coming. No one knows - or cares - about the truth. They just want their get-out-of-jail (or hell) free card without understanding the truth of the gospel. Social media is for the weak minded. There's already been studies showing how people cannot think for themselves anymore and only regurgitate what others have stated. I realized this when I began to notice how the normal "time flies" complain by the elderly are now being stated by kids. When I was growing up, time took forever to do anything. I thoroughly enjoyed very long summer vacations and dreaded the long winters. Today, months feel like weeks, weeks feel like days and days hours. Well, I've rambled on long enough.

Buildings cannot be possessed or demonic.  

There is no such thing as a church-building.   This is a misnomer (a word known to be wrong).  A church is a gathering of believers, not a building.  

The people inside a religious building can be infected by the devil.  The bulk of those who attend public worship either like worldly-minded influences or are too lazy to acknowledge they are being mislead.  

"It hurts to think." - middle school students

The above is an actual quote of middle school students to a friend of mine who suffers in her attempts to teach these brain dead children.  Students openly state they only want answers.  They do NOT want to think.  This is true also of church folk in general.  They want to be led around by the nose and prefer their religious celebrities even though St. Paul said not to follow such false apostles.

You want it simple, try this;

For it is time for judgment to begin with God's household; - 1 Peter 4:17a

The Holy Spirit has ALREADY DEPARTED from several main denominations.  They are Ichabod (1 Samual 4:21) 

Spiritually speaking there is no such thing as a vacuum.  When the Holy Spirit is not wanted in a religious assembly, it is replaced by something less than holy.

"I hate, I despise your religious festivals; your assemblies are a stench to me." - God speaking through Amos 5:21

Judgment has already begun.   

and I have not rambled nearly enough.....

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On 9/24/2019 at 11:09 AM, theInquirer said:

My main difficulty at present is a question of whether or not it is possible to believe a thing without proof or any other sort of basis for belief except for a desire to do so.  In investigating the nature of my existence (that is, of the subject, which refers to the subjective), I have come upon the phenomenon that there are some things that I do which I cannot help but do, namely, to be aware of the external world.  I cannot, merely by force of will, cause myself to become unaware of the material/external world, although it could be argued that I am capable of judging it to be an illusion.  But my point is, there are some things that I do which I really cannot help but be aware of.

The material and immaterial elements are not in conflict... The Word of God has fashioned them both; it is the sin that has brought confusion and that exists on all plains of thought and action causing one who is in the infinite, with begin, to be lost to any direction at all. Beings that are spiritually dead have no resource but the natural world in which they exist and a much higher (in ability an resource), Lucifer/satan, is in control of and influencing natural resources for his purpose to become god...

The thing is this: am I in control of myself?  Whereas the question may sound rather strange, it becomes much more complex upon closer inspection, in which one firstly must note that at the very least, I am in implication of myself, by which I mean that if I do something, I do it.  In other words, I imply myself--but this is of not use to know since it tells me nothing.  How, then, can I know whether I really control myself and what I do?  What exactly do I mean by "I," "control," and "what I do?"  When I ask about what I can do or cause myself to do, I must remember that, essentially, what I do is different from what I am; note the difference between essence and act.  A thing can be a union of any number of things, including weight, extension, size, color, etc., but it can still be said of it that it does all sorts of other things, such as a brick hitting another thing and knocking it down.  It is said of the brick that it caused the other thing to fall down, and yet the conception of necessarily causing other things to fall down is not inherently contained within the definition of "brick." 

outside of our own venue lies God's and He records all works of lives... We all will answer for these in judgment unless we turn to the escape He has fashioned for redemption...

To bring all of these strands of thought back to my question, I ask whether I, though I may be any number of things, actually cause anything.  For this is really what I mean when I ask whether I determine what I do, since to "do" anything really means to cause.  If I do, then it would be much easier to argue that I am in control of whether or not I believe a thing or not based purely off of desire.  

all action is merely projecting the desire of one's heart... mostly motivated by what that heart finds it internally desires... in the unregenerate sense it can only be earthy and self satisfying where the I is always placed in the number one position of all things... logically the question lies upon examination- if in the infinite more lies without oneself then in~ why do the unregenerate considered the less over the more or better the I over all else outside of I?  It is because they have no resource outside of themselves and certainly no way to abandon self for that outside of self...

What I really need to figure out is what exactly I am, and thereby determine whether I am a cause, and if so, what type of cause, and if the right type, what kind of effects I am capable of producing, and if the right type, whether or not I am capable of choosing to believe one thing or another based purely off of desire.

People are beings that is broken and missing parts (Spirit) and they evaluate with inadequate resource... Jesus came into the world to provide a way for all men to be made alive spiritually so that they might be able to carry on a relationship with the Creator Jesus unto The Father by Spirit.... This world is passing away and that which it has been totally and completely forgotten after God's Word has accomplished all that is written down!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  57
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  05/08/2002

On 10/2/2019 at 9:27 AM, Alive said:

Inquirer--are you still there?

I must first ask you--is Jesus Christ your Lord and Savior?

Yes, of course!

Edited by theInquirer

19 hours ago, Abdicate said:

I think the problem you have is that even if you agree, you write confrontationally. That is, you "correct" someone by saying that the same thing! That's why no one can understand what you're trying to say. I don't like games like that.

First, I have to admit that what you're writing is true.   In fact, after participating in literally hundreds of post-exchanges you are the only one that's picked up on that.  

I do indeed write confrontationally, but it isn't by design.  I'm not playing games. Mostly its reactionary, for most of the responses I've received are confrontational as well and many of them aren't backed up by any form of logic or constructive criticism at all (such as yours).   I'm not averse to a considerate exchange with anyone, but it does seem that I walk an edge of some sort.  Many who may understand won't reply.  Those that do are opposed in one way or another and none of it logical or documented.

I've spent my entire adult life in confrontation with church folk and their wayward ways.   From the time I got saved it seems that church folk have stood in the way the Lord indicated for me or in opposition to the things the Lord demanded of me - such as simple morality.  In seminary, for example, I was required to bring my wife to a weekend "retreat" where all sorts of filthiness was displayed and offered for discussion.  On one afternoon we had to sit and watch movies of men masturbating.  That's the worldly part of an environment that included restrictions and rejection of Jesus Christ Himself as a prerequisite for Holy Orders in the Episcopal church.  When relating this story to other "Christians", they called me a liar.   Christians have exposed me to fetid sewage I would not expose myself to when I was unsaved in the military.  I've gone into biker bars and witnessed of Jesus without a bad experience.  I tried the same thing in a church and was vehemently rejected by everyone except one man.  You remind me of that one considerate man.  Generally speaking, the single most confrontational group of people I've ever had the misfortune to deal with have been Christians.   They are nice, as long as you dance to their tune.  When you don't, they stab you in the back and say they've done it for the Lord's glory.

I live in West Central Florida near Tampa.   When I was searching for a church home I went from place to place - always meeting fellow refugees from other churches.  They too had become disillusioned and disgusted with the attitude and hypocrisy of Christians.  Most of them eventually stopped looking because there was no place to go any more.  I settled in a Messianic Jewish congregation.   If I'm going to be despised by Christians I want to know clearly why.  Being associated with Jesus believing Jews solved the problem.  Christ was crucified by people who didn't know what they were doing.  Today He is being crucified all over again by people who DO know what they are doing.

That being said, it's very difficult for me to pick out the tone of a post that I find agreeable.  I admit to you that I automatically assume the person I'm responding to is hostile to anything even hinting at truth or of that which I've known or been shown by the Lord.  Christians today are more apt to delve in the occult than the heavier things of God as related in the Bible.  What they do not know by way of religious slogans and buzz words they do not wish to learn.

Finally, you are the only one in a very long time that's displayed anything of an objective nature in your writing or response to my posts.  I admit to you that I've been proceeding on the assumption that no one WANTED to understand what I was writing, not that they could.  Your suggestion that they might, in fact, want to understand comes as a shock to me.   Either way, it hasn't been a game to me.  It's never been a game.  It's been an effort of great earnest.  

Finally, I do not suffer fools, of which there are very many hereabouts.   I've found that many discussions begun with a tone of desire and instruction and sharing on my part have quickly devolved into a fire storm of personal accusations and character assassination toward myself.  I've grown a thick skin against that sort of treatment, but unfortunately that thick skin also causes the confrontational tone you have observed.   I don't think that what you've said will change any of the other folks here, but I will consider your advice.

Such words as you've shared do not come along very often.  Not very often at all.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft.... 

Edited by choir loft

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.66
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

7 hours ago, theInquirer said:

Yes, of course!

Good morning, young man.

All of these questions that you are asking yourself regarding existence, mind, self-determination, awareness and cause and effect and our place and abilities within the context of this 'universe' and 'its laws' that our Creator made---have been asked by many throughout the centuries.

All of those questions and searchings are simply the result of man's internal sense of God looking outward. For the questing and bright mind, those things can be captivating.

I have a suggestion for you and I have something for you to think about and tuck away for to recall over the years.

Rom. 1:19, 20

19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made,

My suggestion is that you exercise your mind in studying His creation. The more we study what He has made, the more we see of Him there.

I have found molecular biology to be particularly interesting. Find a book by Stephen Meyers called ’Signature in the Cell’. This will get you going and provide a path that will allow you to use that brain God gave you.

Now for the other: a high level of intelligence enables you to ask great and deep questions, but it cannot give you the important answers. Only God, by His Spirit and the Life within you are capable of doing that. The Paraclete (Holy Spirit) was given after Christ was ascended. He was anxious to go to the Father, so that the Helper (Paraclete) would come and dwell in the Sons of God. Continually be before Him and always seeking the knowledge that He can provide. That knowledge will always be a deeper understanding of and walk with your Lord. This is the function of the Holy Spirit—to convict of sin and to point to Christ.

As your heart is set on Him, He will direct your path in all things.

There is no greater quest!

Jesus Christ is the Logos—the ‘rational reason for all things’. Seek Him and He will answer the questions and satisfy you more than anything else in this present life.

Apologetics are nothing compared to knowing Him.

Beware of the pride of intelligence and tuck the following bit away and pull it out regularly. Post it on your desk and write it on the front page of your bible or the desktop of your computer.

"Intelligence enables you to ask questions, but it doesn’t provide the answers."

Trust me on this and don't forget it.

When it comes to the things of the Lord—be like a little child. After all--you really aren't all that smart.

:-)

The fear (awe) of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

23 hours ago, enoob57 said:

The material and immaterial elements are not in conflict... The Word of God has fashioned them both; it is the sin that has brought confusion and that exists on all plains of thought and action causing one who is in the infinite, with begin, to be lost to any direction at all. Beings that are spiritually dead have no resource but the natural world in which they exist and a much higher (in ability an resource), Lucifer/satan, is in control of and influencing natural resources for his purpose to become god...

The world and the spirit are always in conflict.  Always.

For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. - Paul writing to the Galations 5:17

Those who are spiritually unregenerate do not experience the war between the Holy Spirit and the flesh.   If they war at all it is as you say, with the forces that drive them in the world in opposition to what their hearts wickedly desire.  For example, a criminal's desire to obtain that which the law forbids.

Those who are saved experience this conflict a great deal.  Almost all of the Pauline letters of the New Covenant address the issue.  It is the nature of the spirit filled life to have to engage in the tug of war between the flesh and the spirit - between the world and the holy.

One of the false gospels being transmitted today is the gospel of contentment.   Congregations are being told to be content with their lives, when in fact there is great discontent all around us.  The world battles against us continually as well as temptations within.   Man is born to trouble (Job 5:7).  It is a fact of life.  Denying it doesn't make it go away.  It just confuses the issue.

Christ has promised to help us in the battle and to never leave us, but He has NEVER said He'd excuse us from tribulation either early or late in the process.  

"I pray not that thou shouldest take them from the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil one." - Jesus as quoted by John 17:15  

that's me, hollering from the choir loft.....

Edited by choir loft
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2019 at 6:29 PM, Abdicate said:

Thank you sir for being honest. I really appreciate it. I completely agree with you about these so-called "churches" and I've even tried Messianic ones too. I haven't darkened the door of these buildings in over 10 years. I do not miss them at all. They bring nothing but pseudo-Christians and dogma contrary to the word of God. In fact, when I had the chance as a teenager, I attended a "Christian" school for 1.5 years. I HATED it. They were all hypocrites from the pastor's pregnant unmarried daughter to bullying (before it was a thing). I was told never to draw a pentagram (I didn't even know what that was, so I asked for clarification what it was) and I'll I got for my troubles was detention because I didn't know what a pentagram was at 14 years old. Yea, I want nothing to do with these people. Jesus wants us to develop disciples one at a time in our homes. So that's what we do. It took me many years to unlearn the garbage taught in denominations. Tell me what's wrong with this scripture quote (rhetorical question :))

Ephesians 4:5-6
one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, 41,000 denomination who is over all and through all and in all. 

People have left the plain simple word of God for interpretations, dogma, and poor translations.

Thanks for your honesty and kind words. Indeed, we have our work cut out.

Soon after beginning regular attendance of our local Messianic Jewish congregation I learned there are as many flavors of Messianic Judaism as there are Baskin Robbins ice creams.   Perhaps more.

Our rabbi is very well versed in Jewish tradition, being a Jew from birth, and has extensive knowledge of the Tanakh.   I find his lessons and sermons to be of great value.   I also find the Jewish tradition of repentance to be refreshing as well.   In nearly fifty years of being saved and attending protestant churches from New York to California and from Virginia to Georgia to Central Florida I have NEVER heard repentance preached.  In nearly fifty years of knowing Christ I admit to times when He has told me to stop doing a thing or stop planning to do a thing.  Obedience means repentance and I have complied with His wishes.   The church seems to ignore this most important aspect of one's fellowship with Christ.  It's bad for bu$iness, if you know what I mean.

Ephesians -

St. Paul was writing primarily to the Jews of Ephesus in this epistle.  Gentiles had joined with them in worship and devotion to Christ.   In his letter to the Ephesians, Paul makes reference to the tanakh quite often.   Just as often, Paul makes reference to the spiritual joining of gentiles with them.  Your quote of verses 5 & 6 is an example.   Sadly as you have observed, people are not as forthcoming with their acceptance of one another as the Holy Spirit is....

Even pointing this out can cause repercussions and recriminations....

When I attended the Episcopal church my minister's wife had an affair with the bishop.  The two eventually ran off together.  The minister, left to his own devices, eventually succumbed to his natural desire to sexually abuse mentally challenged teenagers at the institution he was assigned to guide.  After doing public service for a while he returned to the seminary where I was studying for holy orders.   We were all asked to forgive and forget the minister's wayward ways.  Meanwhile I was informed that unless I recanted my faith in Jesus Christ and abandoned my insistence that one must be saved I would never be ordained.   I didn't and wasn't - and left the church.

Your story about the pentagram is hideous.   How is a kid going to learn what to do and not to do if not properly instructed?   Negligent leadership is a greater enemy to the church than the devil they serve.  Pointing out this fault in leadership seems to be a sin too.  Every protestant leader is like a mini-pope in their eyes.

ps   The pope would not long think himself to be infallible if he was married.

Edited by choir loft

On 10/10/2019 at 8:20 PM, Abdicate said:

Exactly! This is why I like Thurman Scrivner, an engineer, who "discovered" the word of God and now only teaches it, plainly and simple. I've read the word of God who knows how many times, but I never read it plainly as he does. What does he preach? "Be holy", "repent", "cause and effect", "spiritual warfare" one verse at a time.

Amen! This is true salvation! OSAS says nothing we do will affect our salvation, but the word of God says otherwise thereby rejecting the whole need for repentance. That's NOT a Christian according to the word of God which I've shown over and over and over again, and totally rejected by so many on this forum.

Check these new headlines:

Pope Francis celibacy: Requirement for some priests may be waived

Did Pope say Jesus isn't God?

the word of God says otherwise thereby rejecting the whole need for repentance. That's NOT a Christian according to the word of God which I've shown over and over and over again, and totally rejected by so many on this forum.

Can't agree more.... nothing to add or change with what you've written.    very sad.

Aware of the links you've provided.

I've often wondered if the Catholic church is the Mother of Harlots mentioned in Revelation.  It seems to match the description.   Leadership is more concerned with maintaining influence over folks than transmitting Biblical principles.

Then again, as you say, a lot of people simply don't care about Biblical truth.  They embrace that which tickles their ears and doesn't require much from them in return.

Truth can be rough and even the moderators seem to reject it at times.

very sad indeed.