Am I Foolish, Prideful Or Courageous?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  0

This will be too boring for most to read but I’ll post it anyway.

Today I received a letter  from the most powerful law firm on earth called Kirkland and Ellis. They informed me that they did not want me publishing certain communications. They quoted a state Supreme Court law claiming I was  prohibited from disclosing the information. They are lying about that.

In any case, I’m going to go  forward and publish it. I think the communications would be very helpful to some women in a certain industry and could possibly start a conversation.

Is it foolish or prideful of me to do something a powerful law firm is warning me not to do? Or is it courageous? Right now I feel it’s my duty to put truth out there and to not  be scared. But at the same time, I do have a family that I don’t want to stress out. My husband thinks  it’s interesting info to publish, but not worth it if they end up threatening a lawsuit. I feel as though the powerful will always unjustly threaten people if people continue to back down.

What would you do? Scurry away?

Edited by ReneeIW
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

12 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

It wasn't boring at all. I don't quite know what to say. Wow. These guys found out about your publication. 

13 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

Well, I dunno. It is a bit intimidating. They do scare tactics, is that it?  

11 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

It wasn't boring at all. I don't quite know what to say. Wow. These guys found out about your publication. 

As a formality, I have to let people know that their name will be published and give them an opportunity to correct any errors in my writing. It was advice from an attorney. So that’s how they found out. 

They then said I am not allowed to publish the communications.

11 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

They do scare tactics, is that it?  

I’m not sure what they are going to do now. I let them know that I have the right to publish it and that I’m going to exercise that right. So I’m waiting to hear from them. I want to go forward no matter what they threaten, but I don’t want to be foolish. I need to pray on it. I really don’t like abuse of power and I feel like I have an opportunity to fight back, but I don’t want to do anything stupid.

Edited by ReneeIW

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

What you posed is very interesting. At what risk are you willing to derive some benefit? It is something you must calculate, and pray about. I hope the very best for your outcome.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coliseum said:

What you posed is very interesting. At what risk are you willing to derive some benefit? It is something you must calculate, and pray about. I hope the very best for your outcome.

Thanks. It may not be worth it. I think I’m being prideful in that I  don’t want to appear weak and back down.  This verse helped:

31Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? 32Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Perhaps ask your lawyer what he thinks. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

1 minute ago, ReneeIW said:

Thanks. It may not be worth it. I think I’m being prideful in that I  don’t want to appear weak and back down.  This verse helped:

31Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? 32Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.

Thank you for sharing that. I was reading at almost the identical time what King Hezekiah did by showing the messengers sent to him by the son of the King of Babylon, out of his pride, to show them everything in his storehouse. As a result of that showing-off of his wealth, the Word of the Lord, through Isaiah, came to him: 2 Kings 20:17 (NIV)
17  The time will surely come when everything in your palace, and all that your fathers have stored up until this day, will be carried off to Babylon. Nothing will be left, says the LORD.

You are showing discernment and wise restraint to think about your potential undertaking.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Willa said:

Perhaps ask your lawyer what he thinks. 

I already know what he will say:that I’m absolutely crazy and that I need to stop fighting with these people . It really boils down to whether or not they can get a gag order on the documents . They are not going to sue me because it will just draw attention to it.

But if they can manipulate the system and somehow get a gag order, then I just have to swallow my pride and drop it and trust that the Lord will deal with them if/when He sees fit. 

Its not a major part of my book, but it’s something that I think is worth mentioning and obviously they don’t want it out there. 

20 minutes ago, Isaiah53NIV said:

My thoughts are, is someone else going to legitimately get hurt if you don't publish this very specific information (future abuse)?  Or, is what is already known enough to protect others without you publishing this information?

I don’t think anyone will get hurt if I don’t publish it. But some unethical practices will be kept secret. Practices that keep the powerless at a disadvantage. It’s hard for me to know what goes on behind the scenes to shut people up and not be able to share it. I think it’s in the best interest of the public. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

Today I received a letter  from the most powerful law firm on earth called Kirkland and Ellis. They informed me that they did not want me publishing certain communications. They quoted a state Supreme Court law claiming I was  prohibited from disclosing the information. They are lying about that.

In any case, I’m going to go  forward and publish it. I think the communications would be very helpful to some women in a certain industry and could possibly start a conversation.

Is it foolish or prideful of me to do something a powerful law firm is warning me not to do? Or is it courageous? Right now I feel it’s my duty to put truth out there and to not  be scared. But at the same time, I do have a family that I don’t want to stress out. My husband thinks  it’s interesting info to publish, but not worth it if they end up threatening a lawsuit. I feel as though the powerful will always unjustly threaten people if people continue to back down.

First pray about it. If you have money do so consult an attorney. Otherwise I would not do it. I don't think you want a lawsuit against you. 

• Thanks 1