• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,443
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, dhchristian said:

I will add to this some facts to show how "petty' the cash is you have. Some Numismatic facts for you.

Let's say you make $30k a year salary, That is $577/week and $115 per day approx. With that $115 dollars, You could buy 1.5 Gold dollar coins which had a face value of $1.50 when they were in circulation as cash (that is just the Metal content, not numismatic value). The Last year they made gold dollars was 1929. In April of 1933 FDR ordered all gold coins seized and outlawed their ownership. The fine was $10,000 or 10 years in prison for anyone caught with them. Well, the rich and some smart people hid them, some in private accounts in Europe, some in mason Jars buried in their basement. But since that point That is how much value has been stolen from our U.S. Dollar. That is to say the dollar is 100x less valuable today than it was in 1929... Simple math 115/1.50=100.

The average Salary in 1929 was $1000.00 per year. The average salary today is $30,000 per year. a 30x increase, Meaning adjusted for inflation, the value of every dollar has been reduced 70x from 1929. So Back in 1929 you were earning approximately 5 of those Gold dollars every day you worked, Now you are earning only 1.5 of those gold dollars.

So Let's say Uncle Bob worked really hard from 1929, and he kept $1000 in a safe in the form of Paper currency. That paper currency in his safe would have lost 70x its buying power for every dollar since 1929. But if he had Placed the equivalent # of  Gold dollars into a Jar That $1000 would be worth over $70,000 today. ($73,910 to be exact in metal content alone). Yes those Paper dollars are still Legal tender, and Worth a dollar, But todays dollar is worth significantly less. In Other words, by switching money to Paper, The Fed is able to rob everyone's hard earned money without them knowing about it right out of their safe. Imagine now how much worse electronic money is to rob. Someone is getting rich, and it ain't you and me. This is what is known as monetary slavery. We are all slaves, we just do not know it.   

Seems like we had the same teacher :laugh:

But my teacher said it another way. If a person had a one ounce gold coin in the 1800's - 1900's, he could go out and buy himself a nice suit, shirt socks and shoes. That same gold coin today would do exactly the same. If the gold and silver market were not played and gamed today with our debt based economy and fiat currency, it would have exploded. Inflation: The hidden tax. 

If I were to guess, I'd say you've heard of Frederic Bastiat...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  0

20 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Seems like we had the same teacher :laugh:

But my teacher said it another way. If a person had a one ounce gold coin in the 1800's - 1900's, he could go out and buy himself a nice suit, shirt socks and shoes. That same gold coin today would do exactly the same. If the gold and silver market were not played and gamed today with our debt based economy and fiat currency, it would have exploded. Inflation: The hidden tax. 

If I were to guess, I'd say you've heard of Frederic Bastiat...

Had To look up Bastiat, Knew he was economist but that is about it.

I see you are into Dirt Fishing? What is your best catch?

3 minutes ago, dhchristian said:

Had To look up Bastiat, Knew he was economist but that is about it.

I see you are into Dirt Fishing? What is your best catch?

Best so far this year. Been much too hot and dry around here to get out much.

1854.jpg

Obverse.JPG

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.42

Just now, Dennis1209 said:

Best so far this year. Been much too hot and dry around here to get out much.

nice! Too Bad that 1854 wasn't the big O mm. I started collecting Coins when I was a Kid, You could still find silver in rolls from the bank back then, so we would get five dollars or ten dollars together and go Hunting that way, and then spend the none silver. I still Buy and sell as a side Gig and for fun,

I Had a co worker that was big into it. I have dabbled in Detecting a bit myself with not much luck, (A few small cents, roseys and a barber dime were my best finds. My Only large cent was a Canadian one, found that under an old Victorian porch I was fixing up, along with the Barber dime.) That was a great spot to search, A hundred years of people dropping stuff through the cracks in the deck boards, found a bunch of Indians under there too.

3 minutes ago, dhchristian said:

nice! Too Bad that 1854 wasn't the big O mm. I started collecting Coins when I was a Kid, You could still find silver in rolls from the bank back then, so we would get five dollars or ten dollars together and go Hunting that way, and then spend the none silver. I still Buy and sell as a side Gig and for fun,

I Had a co worker that was big into it. I have dabbled in Detecting a bit myself with not much luck, (A few small cents, roseys and a barber dime were my best finds. My Only large cent was a Canadian one, found that under an old Victorian porch I was fixing up, along with the Barber dime.) That was a great spot to search, A hundred years of people dropping stuff through the cracks in the deck boards, found a bunch of Indians under there too.

It looks like this thread has about run its course so...

As popular as this hobby has become, most all "old" public parks, schools, etc. have become slim pickens. Wish I would have entered this hobby in the early 1970's! As metal detector technology improves and with bigger coils, good stuff can still be found at hunted out sites, the two above coins as an example. I'm almost reduced to walking up to old homes and ask permission if I can dig a bunch of holes in their nice manicured lawns :noidea: There's not much around here that is old.

Before I retired and moved to the country, I metal detected the old parks in St. Louis, MO. and surrounding areas for a few years. Those parks were in depressed - high crime areas and I'm fortunate I didn't become a victim. I can't tell you the number of seated coins, Barbers, Mercuries, Indian Heads, gold rings, silver rings and wheat cents I pull out. Metal detecting is a lot like real-estate; location, location, location. 

I'm not in it for the money. I get some exercise and I get a thrill pulling something buried in the ground out 100+ years old, I'm a history buff. Won't be long before gravity beats me and I'll have to reluctantly give it up. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  1.01

Another interesting thing that is occurring lately is that as automation is taking more jobs away, and is projected to continue taking more jobs away; several nations are beginning to implement giving their citizens free money.

If the jobs do disappear as is projected, then in order to qualify for the free money programs, a new system of identifying each recipient may be nescessary.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Content Count:  56,039
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, luigi said:

Another interesting thing that is occurring lately is that as automation is taking more jobs away, and is projected to continue taking more jobs away; several nations are beginning to implement giving their citizens free money.

If the jobs do disappear as is projected, then in order to qualify for the free money programs, a new system of identifying each recipient may be nescessary.

that has been taking place for a long time, not just lately.    I spent 38 years with Xerox and our equipment cost the jobs of a huge number of typists and secretaries.     My son works for AT&T and switches there costs hundreds if not thousands of operators some time ago.....     they started using robots for welding auto frames together replacing a good number of welders....    which is not a bad thing for that job really messes up the hands and arms from the motions a human goes through...      We could go along with these for a long time but we should really stop and consider that we have more people working today than in the history of the country.

As automation happens new jobs are created elsewhere all through history.   

I do agree that it is interesting but I'm not concerned that it will be a huge problem.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  1.01

1 hour ago, other one said:

that has been taking place for a long time, not just lately.    I spent 38 years with Xerox and our equipment cost the jobs of a huge number of typists and secretaries.     My son works for AT&T and switches there costs hundreds if not thousands of operators some time ago.....     they started using robots for welding auto frames together replacing a good number of welders....    which is not a bad thing for that job really messes up the hands and arms from the motions a human goes through...      We could go along with these for a long time but we should really stop and consider that we have more people working today than in the history of the country.

As automation happens new jobs are created elsewhere all through history.   

I do agree that it is interesting but I'm not concerned that it will be a huge problem.

Hi other one,

I am aware that automation has been going on for some decades now. The thing is that automation now appears to be getting so much more efficient that today's automots are doing the work of a lot more people. As such, and with nations realizing that the future will hold a lot fewer jobs than today, many nations are then now implementing free money programs to see what the flaws are, before they have to implement this on a larger scale.