• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

43 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

And none of this pagan breathing or looking at evergreen trees either!

Did you know we burn a faggot at Christmas? 

There's your entire quote and the only mention of evergreens is looking at them (which is in no way offensive) and the your statement about burning faggots with no cross reference. So, again, it's not about what you (or I) might think it means but what someone who is familiar with the modern derogatory term and not the antiquated term might think, specially if that person were a homosexual seeking spiritual guidance  I can't believe that you aren't familiar with the modern usage so are you suggesting that the aforementioned person should go look up an old or unknown to them definition before deciding that there is no compassion here? If you're suggesting that it should be their responsibility to check if there's another meaning I'd suggest maybe you should think about the fact that it's probably not going to happen before posting something which is at best a double entendre. 

Just now, maryjayne said:

I disagree.

I get tired of you picking on posts, not just mine, and sucking any negative connotation you can possibly get from them, while also seizing every opportunity to lecture on how people choose to live and post and spend their money. I suggest you take a look at yourself and ask yourself why you feel compelled to do this? 

Terms I use are well known in my culture, as i said. I even gave you a link to the common usages of the term here. You are on an international site, deal with it and stop trying to impose your culture on mine. I have to look up US terms all the time. 

All I'll say is that I'm compelled to call out what I believe to be problematic behavior or rhetoric every time I see where it could even possibly unnecessarily have any detriment to anyone's ability to witness to anyone, and in this case it's obvious that regardless of your intention of definition your statement has the possibility of being interpreted as a derogatory term for homosexuals and thus undermine any efforts to witness to any homosexual who might take it as such. So I'm calling it as I see it. The only culture I wish to cultivate is one of God's love and it can't be imposed on anyone. I just wish everyone could be more sensitive about words that could be seen as derogatory attacks on persons. While I believe in calling out actions and words I try my best to avoid language that could possibly be seen as personal attacks on anyone. That's all God bless

2 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

I have bolded a sentence of your quoted post. Your judgmental comments about how people choose to spend their time and money are derogatory attacks, as several on here have already told you.

Your foul insinuation that I am making jokes about homosexuals is also a derogatory attack. Think about it.

First I don't know of an instance where I made judgemental comments about any person about money. I call out the actions but not a person. I knew that wasn't popular long ago but when I talk about actions such as the use of wealth it's not any personal attack on anyone but a hope that someone somewhere might see that they have fallen into the money trap and have a change of heart. And sometimes it's when people see that the actions that I describe are those in which they participate that they think it's personal but that's only because the actions are personal not because I said anything personal about the person.

I wasn't insinuating that it was a joke as I rook it quite serious. I was simply pointing out the fact that it was insensitive given the modern usage and could be taken as offensive by someone else who was unfamiliar with your definition as I was and while it's going to be like water off a ducks back for me it might not be so for the homosexual who had the same reaction. So, I'm always on the side of caution when it comes to such things and still think it was insensitive even if no double entendre was intended. BTW, only God knows your intentions, I can only speak to my interpretation of the words and my concerns that someone more sensitive than myself (someone who might see it as personal) might see it and become disillusioned about the sensitivity or compassion of us as Christians. That's all God bless

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

This thread seems to have already ran its course. Locked.