• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/14/1948

I believe a pastor should step down when he exhibits "lordship leadership" instead of "servant leadership".   I've known several who have crossed that line and the church became more like a cult because it was so controlling.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.50

On 9/25/2019 at 9:47 AM, maryjayne said:

Have you not heard of pastors committing child abuse, domestic violence and the like?

It happens. Doubting the one wronged is not helpful.

well a genuine born again believers can commit those things i guess.

i remember Isaac Hunter, when his life was spiralling out of control, if i remember correctly, pulled a gun on his wife, though mine impression was Isaac Hunter might have be struggle with substances induced mental health issues at the time. 

another example is Tulian Tchividjian, who were accused of all kind of things, some of which he admitted, others he denied, it is hard to know for sure what he actually did or did not do.

but it is important to point out just because born again believers are capable of somethings does not mean all cases are true.

each cases need to be decided on its own merit. 

sometimes the allegations are true, others times it is not true.

so i guess what i am saying is i don't believe in the whole crap that goes around theses days that says the only right way to treat potential victims is to take their allegation at face value

obviously all potential victims need to be treated with sensitivities and kindness, and given appropriate emotional support. And their allegations must be taken seriously as in a thorough and unbiased investigations must be conducted to see if the allegations pan out.

sometimes the allegations pan out, other times they don't

this is a sinful world and we all have sinful nature, people sometimes lies. Gossip, slander, false accusations do happens.

lastly, a person is always innocent until proven guilty.

that is how Christians deal with this type of situations i believe.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.50

17 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Jim Bakker never did repent, nor did he admit to any wrong doing. Jimmy Swaggart wept what surely seemed like genuine repentant tears, while the television cameras rolled on. If it wasn't genuine, he put on an Oscar performance. Looked pretty real to me. The Assemblies of God asked him to step down for a reasonable time period, and get some prayer and counseling. He didn't go for it, of course. That's televangelism for the both of them. 

i thought Jim Bakker wrote a book called "i was wrong"?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

3 hours ago, Equippers said:

i thought Jim Bakker wrote a book called "i was wrong"?

Ah, yes he did. Thanks for bringing remembrance of the hard bound book Bakker authored for probably the tune of $50 a pop. A great way to start rebuilding the empire, and pay alimony for his failed marriage to Tammy Faye. Having not read it would make it difficult to say whether admitting, "I Was Wrong" was true repentance. Two different things altogether for most. Last I've seen of Jim Bakker, he was selling survivalist food ware and other health supplements. A good way to back up funds for the ministry I suppose. The health industry is big bucks here, and people are willing to pay good hard earned money for it.   

Edited by BeauJangles

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

One would think that preachers with a world- wide audience would know that the following is in the Bible.So simple......
The qualifications of the bishop/elder/pastor are found in 1 Timothy 3:1–7: “Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task. Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full respect. (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.” Paul also instructs Timothy on the things that exemplify the teaching of a good minister. Beginning in 1 Timothy 4:11 and continuing through 6:2, Paul gives Timothy twelve things that he should “command and teach.”

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

43 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

He's denounced the prosperity gospel.

Yes, he supposedly did in his book, or so I've heard. Looks like he's still being pretty prosperous. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,527
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 9/24/2019 at 5:47 PM, maryjayne said:

Have you not heard of pastors committing child abuse, domestic violence and the like?

It happens. Doubting the one wronged is not helpful.

Hi,

I suggest it is not only helpful,  but vital to hold any and every accuser to account of their accusation no matter what th eaccusation may be.  Individuals make accusations, that an accusation is made does not make it so.

On 9/23/2019 at 10:23 AM, ReneeIW said:

There is a man who is very involved in the Christian community. He’s a pastor of a church that helps the homeless, he’s the chaplain of a major sports team, and he runs a ministry for inmates. People have said that if you find them in the street dying “call Jesus.” If Jesus is not available, then call the pastor I mentioned above. So this pastor has a stellar reputation.

One day this pastor’s best friend, who is also a Christian leader, comes to him and says he’s having an affair with a young girl and has been abusive towards her  and he’s afraid his family will find out and his reputation will be ruined in the Christian community.

The Christian pastor travels and visits the young girl and threatens her life if she tells anyone about the affair. The young girl reports the threat to the church. Is sorry enough or should the pastor  step down for committing the crime of threatening someone’s life? 

Should his whole life’s work be ruined for this one offense? What does the Bible mean when it says leaders should be above reproach? Does that verse apply here?

Any thoughts?

Taking everything you've stated as gospel truth, I believe the Bible requires this pastor is not above reproach and should resign.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

16 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Taking everything you've stated as gospel truth, I believe the Bible requires this pastor is not above reproach and should resign.

So when I stated this over the phone last year during a conversation with church leaders, I was told that if we held pastors to that standard-being above reproach- then there would be no pastors. The implication was that the verse is not to be taken literally. When I tried to press the issue, they moved  on to a different topic.