IGNORED

When Should A Pastor Step Down?

ReneeIW

47 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

So when I stated this over the phone last year during a conversation with church leaders, I was told that if we held pastors to that standard-being above reproach- then there would be no pastors. The implication was that the verse is not to be taken literally. When I tried to press the issue, they moved  on to a different topic.

It doesn't surprise me.  Quote Timothy 3:1-7 to the church leaders and hear what they say.  I don't care what a pastor has done before he became a pastor as long as he/she is honest and up front about it.  But this pastor threatened someone after becoming a pastor and should have known better.  It makes one wonder what else has he/she done that isn't known.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  0

22 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

It makes one wonder what else has he/she done that isn't known.

Probably threatened other women because no one seemed surprised at all bu the accusation. 

I bet if I posted a video of him here and an article about him, every single guy here would fall instantly in love with him. That’s why he knew he could get away with doing what he did.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

14 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

I bet if I posted a video of him here and an article about him, every single guy here would fall instantly in love with him. That’s why he knew he could get away with doing what he did.

I wouldn't bank on that. It takes a lot for someone to impress me that easily. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

Probably threatened other women because no one seemed surprised at all bu the accusation. 

Count me as an exception.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

14 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

I wouldn't bank on that. It takes a lot for someone to impress me that easily. 

Eventually I’ll post it and I guarantee every male will like him 

Edited by ReneeIW

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

36 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

Eventually I’ll post it and I guarantee every male will like him 

We'll see. I'm even less easily amused. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

What might people think, even while attending a church with such a pastor? Should the person leave? Well, he certainly could. But the issue is, should he? I did. But listen to this and see what you think. In all seven churches, Jesus never told a single person to leave.  Instead, he speaks of perhaps the worst one, Thyatira, where Jezebel was promoting sexual practices. Hear his words:

Revelation 2:24-26 (NIV)
24  Now I say to the rest of you in Thyatira, to you who do not hold to her teaching and have not learned Satan's so-called deep secrets (I will not impose any other burden on you):
25  Only hold on to what you have until I come.
26  To him who overcomes and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations--

He said to hold on to what they had. Sounds like he wants us to face our trials and overcome them. I spoke to a retired pastor who I trust. He pastored the church we both were at. There is a new pastor now. The retired pastor said that the reasons I gave were acceptable, yet he himself remained. I now question whether I should have left. 

What is your take in light of what Jesus conveyed?

• Thumbs Up 1

That pastor and his pastor friend have no moral integrity. You simply do not do things like that if you follow Jesus Christ. Both should step down. 

That poor girl and that unfortunate wife. 

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

Stepping down is not the same as being told to leave the church. I don't recall anyone in the thread saying a pastor with a poor moral reputation is to leave. What I did read is the general consensus is that a pastor / elder that has engaged in a grievous sin or is discovered to be involved in a pattern of sin, most certainly should step down and not hold any position of leadership within the church.

Pastor's / elder's are in a position in which scripture shows that they are held to a higher standard of moral character so that those in their charge will turn back from sin and not have a complacent attitude towards sinfulness. And no criticism can be directed at them. Those who preach or teach face a higher degree of criticism, than those who are simply members of the church. Because of this, scripture says we should not entertain accusations unless there are two or three witnesses and the allegations have been proven true.

They should be helped and pointed in the direction of repentance and restoration and then on to fellowshipping again, but they should NOT have leadership positions.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.50

11 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

So when I stated this over the phone last year during a conversation with church leaders, I was told that if we held pastors to that standard-being above reproach- then there would be no pastors. The implication was that the verse is not to be taken literally. When I tried to press the issue, they moved  on to a different topic.

don't know, pastors are human beings as well, they make sinful choices as well.

for me, it is about genuine repentance as they don't reoffend.

they can't just say sorry and keep their merry ways.

but it also depends on what sins they have committed....