• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

7 hours ago, ayin jade said:

You mentioned that the person was open to believing. If she is NOT a Christian, then she should not be participating in communion. That is for believers only.

How do we determine who is a Christian, as opposed to who is merely a “ religionists or who is a Tare? Just asking.....I don’t know.The word “ unworthily” is an adverb and it describes the way, or MANNER of partaking.It has nothing to do with describing the partaker Himself.None Of us are “ worthy”—- we are “Made Worthy” by our faith in the Shed Blood Of the Lamb”

We are at the Communion Table to “ REMEMBER ME ( Jesus)”, not belly- gaze at ourselves and conjure up the delusion of “ Well, I ain’t been that bad lately, I guess I am worthy to do this”. When we look at ourselves and “ our” performance instead of REMEMBERING  H I S  Performance  and what it did for us ( healed us and saved us) ....THAT is when your Communion experience goes off the rails.This is the time you get your eyes off“ self” and keep your gaze on Jesus. This is how one “ partakes worthily”It’s always about HIM— not us. The Table Of The Lord is the place to make CERTAIN , this is what you are doing. “ Do this in remembrance of ME”.

Edited by Blood Bought 1953

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

16 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

How do we determine who is a Christian, as opposed to who is merely a “ religionists or who is a Tare? Just asking.....I don’t know.The word “ unworthily” is an adverb and it describes the way, or MANNER of partaking.It has nothing to do with describing the partaker Himself.None Of us are “ worthy”—- we are “Made Worthy” by our faith in the Shed Blood Of the Lamb”

We are at the Communion Table to “ REMEMBER ME ( Jesus)”, not belly- gaze at ourselves and conjure up the delusion of “ Well, I ain’t been that bad lately, I guess I am worthy to do this”. When we look at ourselves and “ our” performance instead of REMEMBERING  H I S  Performance  and what it did for us ( healed us and saved us) ....THAT is when your Communion experience goes off the rails.This is the time you get your eyes off“ self” and keep your gaze on Jesus. This is how one “ partakes worthily”It’s always about HIM— not us. The Table Of The Lord is the place to make CERTAIN , this is what you are doing. “ Do this in remembrance of ME”.

In her post, she said her friend was open to God. The way is was phrased did not sound like the friend believed in Jesus as the bible describes Him. 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

All believers have one thing in common— the Holy Spirit resides in them.How do we know who has that Spirit? “ Nobody can say with sincerity that “ Jesus is Lord”  Without the Holy Spirit in them.....Short of administering lie - detector tests to all of those that wish to partake , it appears that the Tares will at the Table Of the Lord .There will come a time when they will be revealed.Until then “ God knows those who are His”.All That is left to do is to keep our eyes on Christ, and especially at the Communion Table...

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 9/24/2019 at 4:35 PM, Melinda12 said:

A friend decided to come to our church. She is open to believing but has never regularly attended. I was delighted. So i got her to sit with me, guided her through the service. 

It was a full communion service and as i got up to take bread and wine, i said come up and just copy me. To my delight she did. I just wanted her to have a good positive experience and hopefully want to come again. My attitude is all are welcome. So we had tea and chats afterwards. I hope so much she will be encouraged to begin a good faith. 

This week one of the regular congregation criticized me. She says as this newcomer is not confirmed, she had no right to take communion. That she says is the rule. 

Was i wrong? Maybe. But i just wanted to make this soul welcome and begin her walk to Jesus Christ. Now i feel angered and sad. 

In some churches all are welcome to take Communion (such as mine, the United Methodist Church). In other churches, there are restrictions, like the Catholic Church (or so I understand). If there are restrictions in your church, and you were unaware of them, don't worry. Just explain it to your friend.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Communion? Dont think it was ever meant to be eating a wafer and a glug of juice with your eyes closed that's fir sure :)

that last meal jesus had was a lovely spread , they called it the passover feast. It was bit of fish, dumplings, stew, bit of this bit of that BUT most importantly that meal was about remembrance of Gods peoples exodus. Part of the meal was storytelling so Gods people would never forget our journey out of slavery, never forget being granted our freedom.... 

not a wafer in sight lol. You cant eat and tell stories in silence with your eyes closed either Jesus said he wants us to remember him when we have this meal, like us being granted our freedom from slavery in Egypt, we were once again granted eternal freedom from sin by Jesus. Share our thoughts as we do our share and tear, take a moment to consider what was given for us as we take a sip.

I dont think Jesus would turn away a hungry visitor if they just wanted to learn more about his teachings. Let them all sit eat and remember Jesus is what I say. :)

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 9/25/2019 at 1:54 AM, ayin jade said:

In her post, she said her friend was open to God. The way is was phrased did not sound like the friend believed in Jesus as the bible describes Him. 

It's understandable that many denominations restrict communion for members only. More are open for those who wish to partake, and even those who are yet uncertain in the faith but wanting to be a part because the feel drawn, should be allowed to freely participate. That wouldn't be considered taking communion in an unworthy manner in my opinion, mentioned in 1 Corinthians 11:27. Some might dispute this, but I don't see a problem with it, nor would the Lord who calls upon the heart. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

I noticed the statement "In some churches" which means different churches have different processes for communion which makes no sense to me as God has given us ONE guideline for all believers but is silent about non-believers, so, many have made up their own "LEGALISTIC RULES" to cover Gods silence.

I do believe the bible is very clear about adding to or taking away from God's word!!!!

Rules???? No kidding. Who ever heard of rules in a real "God's church. God doesn't run on rules but He does do Grace beautifully.

When you hear about rules in a church RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. God's church, if it is his church, runs on love, acceptance and GRACE

This sounds like the Jews telling gentiles they had to be circumcised to be accepted and sounds again like the raising of the ugly head of "LEGALISM" that should have disappeared under Christ's teaching and Paul's teaching.

LEGALISM is alive and well, so be careful my brothers and sisters - Dave

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

13 minutes ago, Seasoned by Grace said:

I noticed the statement "In some churches" which means different churches have different processes for communion which makes no sense to me as God has given us ONE guideline for all believers but is silent about non-believers, so, many have made up their own "LEGALISTIC RULES" to cover Gods silence.

I do believe the bible is very clear about adding to or taking away from God's word!!!!

Rules???? No kidding. Who ever heard of rules in a real "God's church. God doesn't run on rules but He does do Grace beautifully.

When you hear about rules in a church RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. God's church, if it is his church, runs on love, acceptance and GRACE

This sounds like the Jews telling gentiles they had to be circumcised to be accepted and sounds again like the raising of the ugly head of "LEGALISM" that should have disappeared under Christ's teaching and Paul's teaching.

To me, the taking of communion by a non-believer is no different than the non-believer walking into a church - both can lead a non-believer to believe. A sort of shadow of things to come.

LEGALISM is alive and well, so be careful my brothers and sisters - Dave

Sorry about the double post. Not sure what happened.:noidea:

Edited by Seasoned by Grace

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

7 hours ago, Seasoned by Grace said:

Yes rules. Rules are not" legalisms" rules are throughout the Bible they are God's  guidance and often exacting commands.

Paul had to give rules  to the church at Corinth regarding this memorial, the Lords Supper. Evidently it seemed important to him, as he was inspired to write, and is still recorded for us even today.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

As to communion, there are obviously many studied attempts at being correct in remembrance of our Lord doing the Lord's Supper as a memorial till he returns and partakes of the cup and bread again.

Churches, do not even agree upon the proper term for this memorial, some insist it is Lord's supper, others insist it is communion also stating it is the blood of Christ not just a symbol of His shed blood.

Some do have concern  that to take  the Lord's supper/communion unworthily  takes on condemnation to oneself. So I think those bodies of Christ do not so much make rules for legalism sake but instead out of their own concern for the partaker.

I am comfortable that one may partake in the memorial of our Lord and savior while even alone and with most any implement available to represent the drink and the food the blood and the body. BUT I do understand the formality and dignity that some make of it trying to be extremely careful  so as to not degrade this memorial, and promise of the new covenant.

There have been times when I have let the cup pass by me, as I reflected and thought there is something I need tend to  something to try to make right first , before partaking and then partake later. There are other times that  I have partaken in what seemed strange to me as the memorial. One church  passed about a white grape instead of liquid. I got a little white grape in a small paper spit cup with an oyster cracker in it too. I partook and considered it thoughtful of that body to have communion or Lord's supper remembrance at a  play put on by that body of Christ.

---------