Husband as spiritual leader

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

My husband and I are on the same journey in our walk with Christ. We are  trying to grow in our relationship with Him.

I'm house and bed bound and he is out and about working (our job allows us to work at home) and when he's gone I try to pray etc and I know the Lord is w/me but I don't feel as close to Him unless my husband is home   and I mean literally I feel closer to the Lord as soon as my hubby walks in.

Is this normal?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

ladyalaska,

Just the fact that you feel closer to the Lord with your husband home sounds wonderful to me. I wish I had such a marriage. Especially if you are both on the same walk with Christ. Every marriage is unique and has it's issues, but if you are happy and your both in love with each other, I think it sounds like a blessing.

Edited by lovethelord
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lovethelord said:

ladyalaska,

Just the fact that you feel closer to the Lord with your husband home sounds wonderful to me. I wish I had such a marriage. Especially if you are both on the same walk with Christ. Every marriage is unique and has it's issues, but if you are happy and your both in love with each other, I think it sounds like a blessing.

Thank you for your response :-) Yes I have been blessed w/a truly God fearing man. We both came to the Lord almost 6 yrs ago and we have made the Lord our center of our marriage. We do have our moments but they pass quickly (thank you Jesus) and mainly my doing w/my anger.

But my concern is though is there an issue w/ME because my closeness to the Lord comes a lot of times because my husband is here. Shouldn't I be feeling this closeness on my own???

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

I am close to the Lord. But when I’m with my husband I feel safer and closer. It’s the blessing of marriage that God intended. We are lucky and blessed ❤️

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, ladyalaska said:

My husband and I are on the same journey in our walk with Christ. We are  trying to grow in our relationship with Him.

I'm house and bed bound and he is out and about working (our job allows us to work at home) and when he's gone I try to pray etc and I know the Lord is w/me but I don't feel as close to Him unless my husband is home   and I mean literally I feel closer to the Lord as soon as my hubby walks in.

Is this normal?

That is not a healthy Christian relationship. First of all we are to love God over anything and anyone else on this earth and that includes your husband. Jesus Christ is always with you. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

28 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

That is not a healthy Christian relationship. First of all we are to love God over anything and anyone else on this earth and that includes your husband. Jesus Christ is always with you. 

Thank you for your response :-) but I think you misread my post.

I never said nor implied I love my husband more than the Lord but that when husband was home I felt closer to the Lord than when I am alone

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

1 hour ago, ladyalaska said:

Thank you for your response :-) but I think you misread my post.

I never said nor implied I love my husband more than the Lord but that when husband was home I felt closer to the Lord than when I am alone

Miss muffet is right.

Your love for your husband does not deminished when he is out of sight.

So your love for God does not depend on your feelings or on whether your husband is present or not or on any other factor.

May I suggest that you do some bible study while on your own, see what you find and share it with your husband.

Every skill or activity requires practice.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  02/25/1985

I do believe that our walks with God are personal and thus the lack of presence of your husband should not diminish or eliminate your closeness with God.

I wonder what is it that makes you feel closer to God when your husband is around? Do you read scripture together? Pray together? Serve in the same activities at church or attend the same Bible study? Do you serve the Lord in any way on your own? The focus should be on God and not on the presence of your husband.

I think you are asking this question because God is tugging at your heart and is telling you you need to have a personal walk with God just the two of you. Not God, your husband, and you. Just you and God.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

11 hours ago, ladyalaska said:

But my concern is though is there an issue w/ME because my closeness to the Lord comes a lot of times because my husband is here. Shouldn't I be feeling this closeness on my own???

Hi Ladyalaska,

I reread your post carefully and I think your concern is valid because you should feel just as close to our Lord whether your husband is around or not. I think you realize that your personal relationship with Jesus should be that way as well.  The way to love someone is to draw near to Him. Our Lord tells us the more we know him through His Word the more we develop a relationship of love. Please continue to pray and read his Word. 

• Mark 12:30, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength."
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,517
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

18 hours ago, ladyalaska said:

Is this normal?

To have and to see the blessing of a mate that loves our Lord  is a blessing that can't but help to make each mate feel closer to God while in the presence of each other.

Normal? I hope so, cause I look at my wife and thank God for her. Her physical presence certainly enhances that appreciation. 

• Thanks 1