• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,394
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

What's wrong with birthdays?

Having your entire family lighting your birthday cake candles outdoors and it takes two hours. Having two foot tall candles so that the first one lit doesn't burn out before the last one is lit. Followed by the International Space station (ISS) reporting all of Henry County is ablaze in fire. A 172 alarm four state firetruck response to your birthday cake and it's doused within 24 hours of the start of extinguishing. Having Smokey the Bear personally show up and lecture you for eight hours about "only you"...  

Not to make "light" of this thread but, Gee Whiz?

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,800
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It is not about rules it’s about essence... and that essence must be checked by the Word of God to determine what s/Spirit it is of... God cannot be mocked and the bottom line is 

Ephesians 4:27 (KJV)
[27] Neither give place to the devil.

this is an obedience call to that which is His (God’s)... you either obey it or you don’t and from this place will determine two different life patterns. Lucifer is not the creator of anything and God says this about what He has made

Isaiah 42:5 (KJV)
[5] ¶ Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:
Isaiah 46:10 (KJV)
[10] Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

It pleases God for us to enjoy the created essence as long as that pleasure fully returns to Him Who has designed it to be so! I do not hold to the thing but to God of which the thing points to...

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,192
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/12/1957

I just don't care for birthdays, at least mine, because it reminds me I am getting older.  Just that simple.  I never had any concern for where the practice came from or why.  Some like birthdays, some think they are a pain.  I never saw the need to dig into it any further.  

Then there is the argument as to who has the birthday of Yeshua correct.  Was it in the Fall around the Feast of Tabernacles or was it in the winter around the feast of Hannukah?  I am pretty convinced in my mind when it was, but I don't focus my attention on the actual day to an extreme.  But that it is the only birthday that matters, irregardless of who has the correct day.

Edited by OldCoot

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:36 AM, Neighbor said:

And it doesn't much matter where anything originates.

Worrying about origins is silly.

Hi there again my brother NEIGHBOR :thumbsup:.

My opinion here on this topic is a bit different than yours, as God didn't make a one concience fits all for the entire human race.

Here I think Paul disagrees with you in Acts 15: 20 and 29,  Paul warns not to eat meat sacrificed to idols, or things strangled. Some have problems of conscience with such things, and so where something originates is a huge deal in their faith to make proper choices.

Also the origin of our faith is important when we are witnessing to someone, because the origin of what others believe may be anti-Christian.

I am a Sabbath keeper, so I wanted to know the origin of what I was called to, so I could not only justify it for myself in faith, but for those who ask about why I honor the Sabbath.

These are just a few reasons to know where things originate and why it's important to know them.

I think it would be good for you to familiarize yourself with scripture more and then revisit your statements here.

God bless you as you continue your walk of faith - Dave

Edited by Seasoned by Grace

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,899
  • Content Per Day:  3.09
  • Days Won:  1

Birthday celebration in a family shows love n caring for parents n children with the warm n lovely happiness. Even better if friends r invited

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

So birthdays are bad,  huh? News to me, and I've been around since heck was a pup, as my granny used to say.                      I've said it before and I'll say it again: pound for pound and post for post, Worthy draws some of the oddest people in Christendom.

Edited by John Robinson
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,778
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

On 9/25/2019 at 7:15 PM, Yeshua153 said:

Both of these were not believers, but killers, so biblically, if you want to celebrate, who are you going to kill?  Obviously, births were celebrated, Yeshua's being the chief one, but no yearly celebration.

I think you are making a Fallacy of Composition with the above statement, Yeshua153. Just because pagans celebrate anniversaries by doing what pagans do doesn't mean that all anniversary celebrations are pagan. That is faulty logic. The Bible condones multiple anniversary feasts and festivals that honour God. 

fallacy of composition
[fallacy of composition]

NOUN
fallacies of composition (plural noun)
  1. the error of assuming that what is true of a member of a group is true for the group as a whole. [Oxford Dictionaries]

Here's a good Psalm for our birthday celebrations, these verses in particular...
    Psa 90:12-17
    (12)  So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
    (13)  Return, O LORD, how long? and let it repent thee concerning thy servants.
    (14)  O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
    (15)  Make us glad according to the days wherein thou hast afflicted us, and the years wherein we have seen evil.
    (16)  Let thy work appear unto thy servants, and thy glory unto their children.
    (17)  And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

I think we should love our birthday day and look forward to it each year otherwise we will cease to be here. However celebrating ones birthday day I too agree with JW’s. Only 2 mentioned in the Bible and horrible things happen. Don’t think that was a coincidence that those 2 are in the Word.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

On 9/25/2019 at 3:15 AM, Yeshua153 said:

Before explaining, Could folks stick to the subject, & not very off into your own arguments of other things, as my last post was locked, because of said arguments, thanks.

I know folks might think I am a Jehovah's witness, because of easter & xmass being pagan, but I'm not, but it is the only thing I am in agreement with them on.

As for birthdays, they too are of pagan origin, & only twice mentioned in the bible, as in Gen 40 v20-23;

“20 And it came to pass the third day, which was Pharaoh's birthday, that he made a feast unto all his servants: and he lifted up the head of the chief butler and of the chief baker among his servants. 21 And he restored the chief butler unto his butlership again; and he gave the cup into Pharaoh's hand: 22 But he hanged the chief baker: as Joseph had interpreted to them. 23 Yet did not the chief butler remember Joseph, but forgat him.”

Also in Mat 14 v6-12;

“6 But when Herod's birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod. 7 Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask. 8 And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist's head in a charger. 9 And the king was sorry: nevertheless for the oath's sake, and them which sat with him at meat, he commanded it to be given her. 10 And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison. 11 And his head was brought in a charger, and given to the damsel: and she brought it to her mother. 12 And his disciples came, and took up the body, and buried it, and went and told Jesus.” KJV

Both of these were not believers, but killers, so biblically, if you want to celebrate, who are you going to kill?  Obviously, births were celebrated, Yeshua's being the chief one, but no yearly celebration.

Birthdays, like xmass & easter, are celebrations for self, & presents, food & booze, & I know a lot will say 'what's wrong with that'. Well for me, I want to do God's will, not my own self-will.

Dose this mean I won't be getting a b-day gift from you this year? Can I at less have my cake? :cake:

• Haha 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

On 9/25/2019 at 3:15 AM, Yeshua153 said:

Birthdays, like xmass & easter, are celebrations for self, & presents, food & booze, & I know a lot will say 'what's wrong with that'. Well for me, I want to do God's will, not my own self-will.

When people post stuff like this, it makes me wonder what their reasoning is behind it. Is it to show everyone how Holy you are?  For matters that are not clearly laid out in the Bible as being a "sin". I leave such things for a person to decided on their own between them and God and how the Holy Spirit leads them.  While I have my own personal views on such topics as drinking, buying lottery tickets or moves to be watched. I do not feel the need to spout off these views  to everyone around me. I feel that I would be saying "look at me how Holy I am for not doing this or that!"   If I am asked, do you drink or how do you feel about drinking. I will give my thoughts on the matter. But only if I am asked to give my thoughts on such a matter.  Other wise I keep these things to myself and try to follow the path that God has for me to follow. 

Edited by LadyKay
  • Thumbs Up 1