Yeshua153

Best singers, musicians & albums

For those reading my posts, I probably come across as blunt & controversial, but another side of me, is my music interests. I am not one who idolises anyone, nor one to applaud, but I like an overall sound, & on the whole, I don't follow along with lyrics, as the singing for me is another instrument. 

I am limiting myself to naming best bands, female & male singers, but just the top ten, in no particular order, as that changes according to my mood. I am going back from 50yrs ago - present, & reflects what still sounds fresh, & not dated.

BEST BANDS

Radiohead, The Beatles, Steely Dan, Weather Report, Elbow, Gentle Giant, Focus, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin.

BEST MALE VOCALIST

Damien Rice, Peter Gabriel, Roy Harper, John Martyn, Ed Sheeran, Stevie Wonder, Thom Yorke (Radiohead), Donald Fagan (Steely Dan), Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam), Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin).

BEST FEMALE VOCALIST

Kate Bush, Sia, Sandy Denny, Joni Mitchell, Tori Amos, Bjork, Joan Armatrading, Judi Tzuke, Roberta Flack, & Carole King.

Because I like hearing good bass, that hold together songs & tunes, I have to include them.

BEST BASS PLAYER

Jaco Pastorious (Weather Report), Chris Squire (Yes), Jack Bruce (Cream), John Giblin (Session work). Pino palladino (Session work), Tony Levin (King Crimson & Peter Gabriel), Colin hodgkinson (Back Door & Whitesnake), Jah Wobble, Percy Jones (Brand X) & John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin).

Coming up, best album tracks, with an odd single, that has not got boring, with endless plays.

Edited by Yeshua153
  • Thumbs Up 1

Musicians of this world sing for money n fame, i don't stick to their songs anymore. They don't glorify God 

16 hours ago, Yeshua153 said:

I am limiting myself to naming best bands, female & male singers, but just the top ten, in no particular order, as that changes according to my mood. I am going back from 50yrs ago - present, & reflects what still sounds fresh, & not dated.

Nice selection. I'm with you on many of these, but others aren't familiar. I've always been really fond of vocal bands who can do three and sometimes add a fourth harmony to it. Great guitar work and especially acoustic guitar is a major feature to a lot of groups and/or artists, and are particularly good for listening. It's hard for me to pare it down to a top ten on any of them, but here are some of my favorite acoustic guitar players. Note: Many on this list are not exclusive to going 'unplugged' but they are excellent. Not in any order of preference.

Leo Kottke

George Harrison

Joni Mitchell

Nils Lofgren 

Nancy Wilson

Jimmy Page

Steven Stills

Trevor Rabin

Ian Anderson

Bonnie Raitt

16 hours ago, Yeshua153 said:

Coming up, best album tracks, with an odd single, that has not got boring, with endless plays.

I'm eagerly waiting on this one. Go for it! :thumbsup:

Ok, I will start with my fave album tracks from each artist, in no order, & end with a few singles.

Radiohead;

Planet Telex, Paranoid Android, Pyramid Song, Fake Plastic Trees, 2+2=5, Go to sleep, There, there, A Wolf at the door, 15 step, Bodysnatchers, Nude, Down is the new up, The national anthem, Optimistic, Airbag, No surprises, & Lucky.

Joni Mitchell;

Overture-Cotton Avenue, Paprika Plains, Don Juan's reckless daughter, Hejira, Furry sings the blues, Harry's house-Centrepiece, Sweet sucker dance, The dry cleaner from Des Moines, A case of you, Sex kills, Turbulent indigo, Chinese cafe/Unchained melody, Be cool, & Love.

Steely Dan;

Aja, Reelin in the years, Your gold teeth, Babylon sisters, Gaucho, Pretzel logic, Haitian divorce, Gaslighting Abbie, Two against nature, West of Hollywood.

John Martyn;

Cooltide, Couldn't love you more, Some people are crazy, Outside in, John Wayne, May you never, Parcels, Tree green, & Stormbringer.

Pearl Jam;

Better man, Parting ways, Sirens, Yellow Ledbetter, Bee girl, Black, Jeremy, & Release.

The Beatles;

I want you (She's so heavy), You never give me your money, Dear Prudence, While my guitar gently weeps, Yer blues, Helter skelter, I am the walrus, Tomorrow never knows, & A day in the life.

A sailors life - Fairport Convention. Banks of the Nile - Sandy Denny. Through it all there's you - Robert Palmer. Unsent - Alanis Morrisette.

Voodoo Child medley (Live at Woodstock) - Jimi Hendrix. Hells bells - Bruford. Stratus - Billy Cobham. Do what you like - Blind Faith.

Redemption song - Bob Marley. Nobody goes to Sweden - Brand X. Refried Boogie Pts 1&2 - Canned Heat. Lost due to incompetence - Cheech & Chong.

Spain - Chick Corea. Lucky seven - Chris Squire. Parachutes - Coldplay. 32-20 blues - Colin Hodgkinson. Lost Angeles - Colloseum (Live).

Zombie - The Cranberries. I heard it through the grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival. And then there was the blues - The Crusaders.

Vivaldi - Curved Air. The blower's daughter - Damien Rice. Station to station- David Bowie. The Ghetto - Donny Hathaway.

Riders on the storm - The Doors. Frankenstein - Edgar Winter. Mexican standoff - Elbow. Everything under the sun - Extreme.

Vigil in the wilderness of mirrors - Fish. The green Manalishi - Fleetwood Mac. Anonymous two - Focus. The gumbo variations - Frank Zappa.

Firth of Fifth - Genesis. The runaway - Gentle Giant. He's simple, He's dumb, He's the pilot - Grandaddy. Inside my heart - Iona.

Continuum - Jaco Pastorious. Sunset Drive - Jean-Luc Ponty. The way I am - Jennifer Knapp. Cradled in your love- Joan Armatrading.

Misty - Kate Bush. We'll let you know - King crimson. Tea for one - Led zeppelin. Day at the dog races - Little Feat.

Love rears its ugly head - Living Colour. Summer the first time - Millie Jackson. The needle & the damage done - Neil Young.

Trout- Neneh Cherry & Michael Stipe. Family snapshot - Peter Gabriel. The  great gig in the sky - Pink Floyd.

The days I most remember - Poet & the One Man Band. Glory box - Portishead. Brighton Rock - Queen. Get ready - Rare Earth.

Running hard - Renaissance. Waiting on a friend - The Rolling Stones. McGoohan's blues - Roy Harper. Xanadu - Rush.

Every step of the way - Santana. No end (solo piano version) - Sandy Denny. May be wrong - Savoy Brown. 

The emperors new clothes - Sinead O'Connor. Make this go on forever - Snow Patrol. Shinbone  Alley/Hard to exist - Spin Doctors.

Charlie - Split Enz. Desert song - Stanley Clarke. Another star - Stevie Wonder. Little wing - Sting. Fool's overture - Supertramp.

Take me to the river - Talking Heads. Marquee moon - Television. Mother - Tori Amos. Night passage - Weather Report. Millions - XTC.

Heart of the sunrise - Yes. Welcome to the cruel world (Live) - Ben Harper.

Now the singles that remain fresh;

Making plans for Nigel - XTC. Faded - Alan Walker. State of independence - Donna Summer. Human behaviour - Bjork. The scientist - Coldplay.

Close to me - The Cure. Lost without you - Freya Ridings. Will You - Hazel O'Connor. The man with the child in his eyes - Kate Bush.

Royals - Lorde. Don't give up - Peter Gabriel. The lone ranger - Quantum Jump. Shiny happy people - R.E.M. Chandelier - Sia.

Chasing cars - Snow Patrol. Two princes - Spin Doctors. Do it again - Steely Dan. The Joker - Steve Miller Band. America - The Nice.

I'm sure there is many more that can be added, but a good selection.

8 hours ago, Yeshua153 said:

I'm sure there is many more that can be added, but a good selection.

A lot of great tracks here, though some are yet unfamiliar. If having my collection at hand, I'd be better able to list a good many of mine. It's been over a year and a half now without access, so making choices would be a bit difficult at best. Here's a list of artists/groups off the top of my head. 

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Animals

The Byrds

Buffalo Springfield

Simon and Garfunkel 

Donovan 

James Taylor

Joni Mitchell

Crosby Nash Stills & Young

Dan Fogelberg

The Roches

Warren Zevon

Todd Rundgren

Jethro Tull

The Who

Emerson Lake & Palmer

Yes

Pink Floyd

Led Zepplin 

Joe Walsh

Tom Petty

Roxy Music

David Bowie

Elton John

Genesis

Peter Gabriel 

The Cars

Joe Jackson

Elvis Costello

XTC

Split Enz/Crowded House

k's Choice

The Motels

U2

Missing Persons

The Divinyls 

Public Image Ltd. 

Ultravox 

The Church

Del Amitri

The Outfield

Alanis Morissette

Enya

Sinead O'Connor

there's more here...

Edited by BeauJangles

On 9/29/2019 at 12:15 PM, BeauJangles said:

there's more here...

Yes, there certainly is. To mention, a collection on 'best of' CDs. These groups/artists deserve the honor they worked so hard for. Random by memory, and there are still more I'm no doubt forgetting. 

The Beach Boys

The Lovin' Spoonful 

The Mamas & The Papas

The Left Banke

The Hollies

Jackson Browne

Jimi Hendrix  

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

Oingo Boingo

Cocteau Twins

The Carpenters

The Bee Gees (pre-disco)

Rod Stewart (early w/The Faces)

Pearl Jam

John Lennon

Paul McCartney

George Harrison 

Ringo Starr

I also own every CD by The Beatles issued in the UK/USA in both stereo and mono from the original master tapes before the dreadful remasters were released in 2009.   

Edited by BeauJangles

BEST BANDS

Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, Cream, Mountain, Robin Trower

BEST MALE VOCALIST

Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Company, solo work), Gregg Allman (Allman Brothers Band), Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin), Marvin Gaye, Ozzy Osborne (Black Sabbath), Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)

BEST FEMALE VOCALIST

Carole King, Amy Lee (Evanescence), Pat Benatar

BEST GUITAR PLAYER

Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin, Firm), Duane Allman & Dicky Betts (Allman Brothers Band), Robin Trower, Jimi Hendrix, Eddy Van Halen (Van Halen), Eric Clapton (Cream, solo work), Alex Lifeson (Rush), David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)

BEST BASS PLAYER

John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin), Jack Bruce (Cream, Robin Trower, West, Bruce & Laing, solo work), C. F. Turner (BTO), Geddy Lee (Rush), Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)

BEST DRUMMERS

Ginger Baker (Cream), Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), John Bonham (Led Zeppelin), Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)

SONGWRITERS

Jeff Lynne (ELO), Ken Hensley (Uriah Heep), Don Henley (Eagles and solo work), Joe Walsh (The James Gang, solo work like Barnstorm and Eagles)

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace

I don't know how I could really pick out favourite artists or such. 

I mean there are typically some you listen to more than others but I rather prefer specific songs or music by whatever artist.

There's just too many and I could try naming some but the list would be never ending.

I could be just as happy listening to a classical piece as I would one of many Beatles classics or something 50's or something heavier or even some more eclectic artists from other places.

I did get a real kick out of Heart's cover of Zeppelins stairway to heaven at the Kennedy centre.

Mind you it was amusing to see how many senior politicians etc were getting excited about it too! ;) 

It can depend on mood and even who you are with. I do prefer things with meaning though.

23 hours ago, SimonB said:

There's just too many and I could try naming some but the list would be never ending.

Ah! But that's the point of the thread here. You can always list and categorize into preferences as some also had here. Adding to what has been previously missed is also accepted from what has been submitted. My vinyl, cassettes and CDs are in storage, so memories are heavily being relied upon. My 200 8-track cartridges were tragically destroyed, unfortunately. Anyway, it's a good topic so far, and I've enjoyed reading others who have contributed to this topic. Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup: