• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/19/1983

Church can be a place for lonely people to find a group of people to interact with and there is a much higher chance that they will be good types of people, less chance of getting taken advantage of etc.

The problem is when people push their interpretations onto others. I volunteer at the church food for life program ( very cheap groceries)  but lots of people go there just for conversation and we are instructed not to push any God talk on them, no pamphlets or anything. We sit there talking for hours and usually get pushed out at closing time lol. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

9 hours ago, Alexalex said:

Church can be a place for lonely people to find a group of people to interact with and there is a much higher chance that they will be good types of people, less chance of getting taken advantage of etc.

The problem is when people push their interpretations onto others. I volunteer at the church food for life program ( very cheap groceries)  but lots of people go there just for conversation and we are instructed not to push any God talk on them, no pamphlets or anything. We sit there talking for hours and usually get pushed out at closing time lol. 

Why is it good that you can't talk about God to them?  What is the point?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,146
  • Content Per Day:  1.06

i used to help out with a food bank and then the government got more and more involved plus the fact that religion was not allowed to be mentioned and eventually i felt uneasy about these two aspects.

it to me was more about social need and there is nothing wrong with that, in a secular enviroment, but a church based project now that is different and i really do question it. so much so i left it and i was pretty good at it and enjoyed it but the unrelenting wretchedness it created in me. i had to listen to that in the end.

"so what now then God," is still where i am at a few years later.

Edited by existential mabel
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  227
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

On 9/30/2019 at 3:09 AM, Firm Foundation said:

I like attending my local church, but if they turned from the truth, and there were no good alternatives in my area, a home or online church is better than a false one.

I would go along with that.Especially if the Church is "selling itself down the river" in order to accommodate "Church Growth" and distorting God's will as revealed in the Bible.I believe that Christ's warning through John to the Church in Laodicea Rev 3:14-22 is most applicable when so-called "Christian Churches" are not obedient to the discipline and will of God and that the member who decides rather to stay home rather than go falsely "Huge" are comforted by "19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline.So be earnest,and repent.20Here I am!I stand at the door and knock.If anyone hears my voice and opens the door,I will come in and eat with him,and he with me.21  To him who overcomes.I will give the right to sit with me on my throne.22He who has an ear,let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."(N.I.V. Rev3:19-22)

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

On 9/30/2019 at 12:31 PM, Firm Foundation said:

Why is it good that you can't talk about God to them?  What is the point?

“ preach the Gospel constantly— use words in necessary ......”

On 9/29/2019 at 6:54 PM, missmuffet said:

Why go to Church? It is suppose to be to learn the true word of God. It is also to be among Christians for fellowship. 

To endure Church, the most boring hour of the week,is earning Brownie Points with God, right? If I am willing to this for Him, he will owe me BIG time! Maybe even Heaven!

An episode of the Simpsons dealt with this honestly ....After leaving Church, they were so happy— they all agreed the minute one leaves Church is the best minute of the week because it is the minute that’s the farthest from next week’s Church.

Thats the sad truth for the unsaved of the world , especially the Tares than sit among us during Church Service and in “ churches” that teach religion instead of Christianity......If I want to learn about “ morality” I could just stay home and study Aesop’s Fables.I would rather hear “ Christ Crucified” which enabled us to love in this wondrous “ Age Of Grace”. That is a message that never bores.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Actually I always loved going to church.   To me, it is a time of having my spirit touched and renewed in a special way.   I looked forward to it each week.   However, currently my neighborhood doesn't have a good church, just liberal ones or Korean language churches.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Debp said:

Actually I always loved going to church.   To me, it is a time of having my spirit touched and renewed in a special way.   I looked forward to it each week.   However, currently my neighborhood doesn't have a good church, just liberal ones or Korean language churches.

All that positive feedback you got from your previous churches is the way it’s supposed to be....just another Testimony of your Spirit -Filled life......you are wonderfully blessed....

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,787
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

God see's obedience as love returning back to Him from the obeyer

Heb 10:25

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
KJV
so why wouldn't you Love God in this way?

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  07/05/1968

Things I liked about church as a kid:

1. Feeling like you were doing something that would please God.

2. Hearing a sermon.

3. Spending time with people you only saw on Sundays.

4. Gave you a reason to get up early on a Sunday.

5. Feeling good afterward.

Things I didn't like about church as a kid:

1. Feeling like the church used emotional blackmail to get you to attend.

2. Being pressured into volunteering to do things like being an usher.

3. None of the kids in Sunday School class or at church were friends in school or not in church.

4. Having to dress up.

5. Feeling judged by others.

When I returned to church after a long absence what I liked was:

1. Feeling like you were doing something that would please God.

What I didn't like was:

1. Female ministers.

2. Casual dress.

3. Empty pews.

4. A feeling that churches had abandoned the Bible and favored the LGBTQ+ community.

5. Not feeling the presence of God.

Edited by TraceMalin
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1