• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Debp said:

Actually I always loved going to church.   To me, it is a time of having my spirit touched and renewed in a special way.   I looked forward to it each week.   However, currently my neighborhood doesn't have a good church, just liberal ones or Korean language churches.

:thumbs_up: Debp......

For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand.
I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God,
than to dwell in the tents of wickedness

King David hit the nail on the head.

I'll be leaving in an hour to 'assemble' with my other brothers and sisters in fellowship,
studying and learning His word, greeting friends and hearing about their families triumphs and struggles.
Births of children or grand children, kids new job requiring them to  move away with their new spouse out of state.
Needed prayers for an ageing great grand mama, guys planing a day to build a wheelchair ramp,
and hearing a request for guys with lawn mowers to meet to cut a widow's lawn.
Gathering in the sanctuary to listen to the word the Lord has moved our pastor to bring,
and lifting our voices to praise God in hymns and songs.

It's what I call 'face to face' fellowship, seeing the face and expressions of the other
I'm talking to, hearing the emotion, sensing the unspoken cry for a possible need, or a
bubbling out of praise of God's healing of a marriage we have all been praying about..
And tears, learning of the passing away of someone who was called home at an early age.

King David said it. Debp said it. I'll say it. It's wonderful to be in the house of the Lord.

With like minded believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, worshiping our Savior.
Loving our brothers and sisters, with all their warts and wrinkles, with all their problems.
Loving our imperfect pastor and his family with all the normal family problems, praying for them,
living their life in their glass home, scrutinized and criticized by the zealots.

I enjoy this forum, mostly. It has become an alternative for those who for whatever reason cannot manage to go to their church home.
Or for those who have not found one they feel comfortable in, for good Godly reasons.
But it should not be a place to run down/criticize  the 'traditional' church body down there on the corner,
with the wrong color paint on the steeple, singing too many old hymns, with no life anymore.
We should all lift up the body of worshiping believers, wherever they meet, to honor God in obeying His command, to

"not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some,
but
exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching."

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,448
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

On 9/29/2019 at 4:53 PM, ReneeIW said:

Where did the early Christians go to Church?

Given the times and persecution of the Romans until Constantine in the fourth century. I'd say they were underground home churches started by the disciples / Apostles as commanded by Jesus. There were many churches established by the Apostles in the first century, and it's interesting as to why Jesus selected the particular seven churches in Asia-minor [modern Turkey] to personally write to.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Sower said:

:thumbs_up: Debp......

For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand.
I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God,
than to dwell in the tents of wickedness

King David hit the nail on the head.

I'll be leaving in an hour to 'assemble' with my other brothers and sisters in fellowship,
studying and learning His word, greeting friends and hearing about their families triumphs and struggles.
Births of children or grand children, kids new job requiring them to  move away with their new spouse out of state.
Needed prayers for an ageing great grand mama, guys planing a day to build a wheelchair ramp,
and hearing a request for guys with lawn mowers to meet to cut a widow's lawn.
Gathering in the sanctuary to listen to the word the Lord has moved our pastor to bring,
and lifting our voices to praise God in hymns and songs.

It's what I call 'face to face' fellowship, seeing the face and expressions of the other
I'm talking to, hearing the emotion, sensing the unspoken cry for a possible need, or a
bubbling out of praise of God's healing of a marriage we have all been praying about..
And tears, learning of the passing away of someone who was called home at an early age.

King David said it. Debp said it. I'll say it. It's wonderful to be in the house of the Lord.

With like minded believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, worshiping our Savior.
Loving our brothers and sisters, with all their warts and wrinkles, with all their problems.
Loving our imperfect pastor and his family with all the normal family problems, praying for them,
living their life in their glass home, scrutinized and criticized by the zealots.

I enjoy this forum, mostly. It has become an alternative for those who for whatever reason cannot manage to go to their church home.
Or for those who have not found one they feel comfortable in, for good Godly reasons.
But it should not be a place to run down/criticize  the 'traditional' church body down there on the corner,
with the wrong color paint on the steeple, singing too many old hymns, with no life anymore.
We should all lift up the body of worshiping believers, wherever they meet, to honor God in obeying His command, to

"not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some,
but
exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching."

I find your description of church life excellent.  Very excellent. 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

To endure Church, the most boring hour of the week,is earning Brownie Points with God, right? If I am willing to this for Him, he will owe me BIG time! Maybe even Heaven!

An episode of the Simpsons dealt with this honestly ....After leaving Church, they were so happy— they all agreed the minute one leaves Church is the best minute of the week because it is the minute that’s the farthest from next week’s Church.

Thats the sad truth for the unsaved of the world , especially the Tares than sit among us during Church Service and in “ churches” that teach religion instead of Christianity......If I want to learn about “ morality” I could just stay home and study Aesop’s Fables.I would rather hear “ Christ Crucified” which enabled us to love in this wondrous “ Age Of Grace”. That is a message that never bores.

First of all it is the down fall of preaching the true word of God. I am sure some of the Pastors preach the truth but a great majority of them do not. Secondly it is the command in the Bible to love one another. That is not often seen in our Churches today.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

First of all it is the down fall of preaching the true word of God. I am sure some of the Pastors preach the truth but a great majority of them do not. Secondly it is the command in the Bible to love one another. That is not often seen in our Churches today.

Curious missmuffet, where you get your data about the churches you refer to.
There are several hundred thousand in America.
Is it only from your church you go to, or churches you have been to?
I would like to read/hear the data report.
Thanks.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

16 minutes ago, Sower said:

Curious missmuffet, where you get your data about the churches you refer to.
There are several hundred thousand in America.
Is it only from your church you go to, or churches you have been to?
I would like to read/hear the data report.
Thanks.

That is redundant. I have not been impressed with the Churches I have attended. Although I am very fussy who teaches me the word of God and that it is the truth. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,412
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

10 hours ago, TraceMalin said:

When I returned to church after a long absence what I liked was:

1. Feeling like you were doing something that would please God.

What I didn't like was:

1. Female ministers.

2. Casual dress.

3. Empty pews.

4. A feeling that churches had abandoned the Bible and favored the LGBTQ+ community.

5. Not feeling the presence of God.

Very  true description of the modern day protestant church, be it Baptist or Pentecostal.   The agenda of the devil is to eliminate the Church [the gathering of believers under one place],  so that his movement of humanism, hedonism and the promotion of cults which seems harmless can come into play as replacement for the worship of God.   The bait is being taken as multitudes reject the gathering of believers and blames the preaching of the word as watered down ect. 

Just like a father like his kids around him like a family unit, so does  God likes his children to fellowship in harmony.   Yes, there are this and that that occurs when people get together and wolves that mixes in with the sheep stirs the pot, then leadership and the believer must bond to stand firm and proclaim the gospel which is the truth.  

The above list the poster mentions are serious enough to scrutinize any Church that adopts  those standards.  Modernity and Technology are two reasons why the young and not so young are opting for shunning the Church as they feel that everything is evolving and so the Church and Christianity must also to include the lifestyles and in doing so redefining Christian values.   Be alert believers, we are living in times that will test your faith as to your fence position.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

That is redundant. I have not been impressed with the Churches I have attended. Although I am very fussy who teaches me the word of God and that it is the truth. 

So, you have been to what, a couple, a dozen, a hundred?
And none impressed you!
So why group the majority of the  other 99.9 % as not preaching truth, and not loving one another.
I can understand being disappointed in not finding a truth preaching, loving church that impresses you.
But how does that give you the right to label and speak as you do generalizing the majority of GOD'S body of believers.
There are many bodies of believers preaching the word, and sharing truth, and seeing many come to Christ.
I have ask here before, how many here on Worthy were saved in/through a simple Christian church, and baptized.
I would say, an overwhelming majority have. In unimpressive, truth teaching/loving churches.
Besides health issues, I think many here try to justify not getting up and going to church
because there isn't any near by that's worthy of them.
In our church there is a faithful couple in their nineties, that drive over fifty miles, each Sunday to worship.
Our family travels thirty miles round trip. My wife brings some who do not drive. This is normal.
Where there is a will, there is a way.   Considering, your God is in control.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

On 9/29/2019 at 7:19 PM, BeauJangles said:

I suppose a proxy YouTube baptism would be a rather dry experience. Pre-moistened towelettes, anyone? 

I LAUGHED SO HARD :24::red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

If any of you went beyond studying  just the bible and added studying church history, and bible history, from the churches beginning, you'd be shocked :o to find how little of the original church teaching and true salvation understanding is left. Is church really even church anymore??

I'll leave it up to each of you to go further on your own if you wish. So much of Gods truth has been twisted, eliminated or just  ignored, it's scary :blink:.

I didn't add any verses to support my statement because too many here like to get into  a war using scriptures and I'm not into that, as God's word say's not to "wrangle" over His word.

God bless you all as you continue becoming more like Christ - Dave

Edited by Seasoned by Grace
  • Thumbs Up 1