IGNORED

Bring Your Bible To School (BYBTS) day - Any tips?

ravindran

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

October 3rd would be another bring your Bible to school day (probably 5th year?). My daughter is in 3rd grade and I brought this up to her. She definitely wants to participate in this. I am having conversations with her on why she is doing this, what she can do through this, what difficulties she might face, how people might react and the ultimate purpose of this (witness and glorify God). Any tips from parents with kids in elementary school who have done it before? I am posting this to question whether someone should participate in this or not. Let's keep that debate outside of this thread. Only people who are doing it this year or did it before, let's have a decent conversation!

• Loved it! 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I dont have any kids who have done this so I dont have any tips. But I applaud your daughter for wanting to do this. She should be prepared for meeting hostility, especially if you live in an area that is in general quite hostile to Christians. May she bring light into the darkness and may the Lord bless her.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.55
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Ha! BYOB. I love it.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, ravindran said:

October 3rd would be another bring your Bible to school day (probably 5th year?). My daughter is in 3rd grade and I brought this up to her. She definitely wants to participate in this. I am having conversations with her on why she is doing this, what she can do through this, what difficulties she might face, how people might react and the ultimate purpose of this (witness and glorify God). Any tips from parents with kids in elementary school who have done it before? I am posting this to question whether someone should participate in this or not. Let's keep that debate outside of this thread. Only people who are doing it this year or did it before, let's have a decent conversation!

This is a great idea. We live in such an anti- Christian society. Ask God to surround you and your daughter during this event. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Not adding to the discussion I simply did look up to see who or what is promoting this and to find some inste into it for myself.  From the website comes this excerpt: 

"Be a part of Bring Your Bible to School Day — a nationwide, student-led movement happening on October 3!

When you sign up, you’ll get a free guide with easy tips on how to get started, downloadable posters, sticker and T-shirt designs, information on your legal rights—as well as other fun, interactive activities."

So someone  I guess  some entity run by students does want individuals to sign up in addition to bringing a Bible to  school. I presume they are thinking mostly of public community government schools run under State and federal regulations, and not necessarily private  non Christian schools of say Roman Catholic system, or just private secular schools and charter schools, nor Christian schools. 

Now that I think about it; are books of any kind allowed in school?  Haven't schools ( most of them) gone all digital  using school owned tablets  assigned to each student that are linked to a school controlled mainframe and server?  Cell phone use is also quite restricted. So might bringing in any material may be a violation of school policy, and not just Bibles? ???

21 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Not adding to the discussion I simply did look up to see who or what is promoting this and to find some inste into it for myself.  From the website comes this excerpt: 

"Be a part of Bring Your Bible to School Day — a nationwide, student-led movement happening on October 3!

When you sign up, you’ll get a free guide with easy tips on how to get started, downloadable posters, sticker and T-shirt designs, information on your legal rights—as well as other fun, interactive activities."

So someone  I guess  some entity run by students does want individuals to sign up in addition to bringing a Bible to  school. I presume they are thinking mostly of public community government schools run under State and federal regulations, and not necessarily private  non Christian schools of say Roman Catholic system, or just private secular schools and charter schools, nor Christian schools. 

Yes, this was initiated by  Focus in the family. They put some structure to the information available. I already signed up and downloaded their guide. But I wanted to hear from real parents who have gone through this personally and hear personal stories. Rather than just reading some flyer!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Now that I think about it; are books of any kind allowed in school?  Haven't schools ( most of them) gone all digital  using school owned tablets  assigned to each student that are linked to a school controlled mainframe and server?  Cell phone use is also quite restricted. So might bringing in any material may be a violation of school policy, and not just Bibles? ???

Yes, most of the content are now digital. But in her school, they still use paper books a lot. Lot of paper homework, library books, reading, etc are done in paper. She already has a bunch of books in her desk. She would just have Bible with her for one day. Nothing stops her from bringing books to school. She would read just during free time (like lunch or recess). Just to open up conversation with friends and share her faith. That's the idea.

• Praise God! 1

I was also wondering if I should give heads up to the class teacher so that she is aware of it and have thought through this from her side.

Praise God, and may God bless!

• Thumbs Up 1