IGNORED

Bring Your Bible To School (BYBTS) day - Any tips?

ravindran

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

it should be a nothing burger in Oklahoma.   students can have Bibles but can not interrupt learning in their classes.     Actually it is illegal for anyone to stop them praying unless they are interrupting classes.....   and my wife never refused her kindergarten class from praying for each other....   and it is something very uplifting to watch a group of 5 and six year old's come together and hold hands and pray for each other....   talking just like Jesus was standing in the middle of them...  kids don't need grownups leading prayers for them....   they pray like Jesus told us to....   right from the heart.

I know it's not that way in every state, but it should be....

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

23 minutes ago, ravindran said:

I was also wondering if I should give heads up to the class teacher so that she is aware of it and have thought through this from her side.

Some teachers are very antiChristian. If her teacher is like that, she might be told to stop and even be targeted for the rest of the school year. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Some teachers are very antiChristian. If her teacher is like that, she might be told to stop and even be targeted for the rest of the school year. 

That is true and that is also true at the place of work. A manager can make your job very uncomfortable if they know you are a believer. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you! Sounds like I should tell her to keep the Bible in her bag. Read in school bus. And read during lunch break? And just keep it inside rest of the time and not bring it out or talk with friends about it during rest of the day. Talk with friends just during school bus and lunch alone. Probably safest for her? And give enough opportunities to talk with friends when they ask what she is doing?

• Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

Maybe just keep it in her bag or out on the desk however she does with any other book. I dont think that telling her to keep it hidden is a good idea. Almost as if its shameful. But im not a parent and dont know what kind of problems she might encounter.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

A good majority of kids these days carry backpacks to school, so it's a perfect place to carry a bible if there ever was one. During my junior year in highschool, an elective class developed on the bible as literature, and quite a few of us were bringing our bibles on a daily basis. The teacher admitted to being a Christian, but said the course had to be objective and not be overly evangelical. The students didn't seem to mind that in particular. The Jesus People Movement was just beginning, and there was more interest than had been for many years. It looks like it's time again. 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

6 hours ago, ravindran said:

October 3rd would be another bring your Bible to school day (probably 5th year?). My daughter is in 3rd grade and I brought this up to her. She definitely wants to participate in this. I am having conversations with her on why she is doing this, what she can do through this, what difficulties she might face, how people might react and the ultimate purpose of this (witness and glorify God). Any tips from parents with kids in elementary school who have done it before? I am posting this to question whether someone should participate in this or not. Let's keep that debate outside of this thread. Only people who are doing it this year or did it before, let's have a decent conversation!

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would tell a third grader they can't take their Bible to school.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Appreciate all the feedback on this so far. Please remember my daughter in your prayers today. She has taken her Bible to school. Actually I am the one scared and not her! Yesterday I was asking if she is afraid or something. She asked "why?" :) Made me realize who is the scared one here!! I will report back on how things went tomorrow

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  07/05/1968

I read this thread and thought to myself, "What's happening to America?" I'm 51. I remember the days when my public high school let the Catholic kids out early on Ash Wednesday. Most took the early dismissal and didn't return to school. A few would come back with ash on their foreheads. No one even made fun of them. I didn't know a classmate who didn't believe in God. We just had different approaches as Protestants, Catholics, and Jehovah's Witnesses. Now, a parent is afraid of his daughter taking a Bible to school. Praise God for daughters like yours.

It's crazy when Drew Brees gets pushback for Bring Your Bible to School Day. Maybe with the push for female empowerment little girls with Bibles will grow up to be leaders who are going to be less afraid than the men to take back our society's respect for believers. We do a terrible job giving boys Christian heroes. Four of the world record holding cave divers for the longest deepest penetration of an underwater cave system are church-going Christians. One is a Deacon. Christian TV should do more documentaries on Christian heroes.

A girl I worked with who was a lifeguard would bring her Bible to the beach and read it on breaks. She was an extraordinary girl. I'm sure the Lord will look out for your daughter and maybe she'll make a difference in someone's life today.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1