What should I do?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I have a job whereby I work alone. I'm not self employed but I'm the only employee in my location. It has been tough trying to stay self motivated and it is also tough not having any coworkers. How can I stay motivated and still have a productive day even when I feel somewhat isolated? 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, Sharms said:

I have a job whereby I work alone. I'm not self employed but I'm the only employee in my location. It has been tough trying to stay self motivated and it is also tough not having any coworkers. How can I stay motivated and still have a productive day even when I feel somewhat isolated? 

Shalom @Sharms

Wow, I would love such a job.  Working alongside very worldly coworkers is not enjoyable to say the least. If only we could trade... :)

But as to some advice, you are probably aware of Colossian 3:23-24,  the principal being that we should work in our jobs as if we are working directly for the Lord.   As if your appraisal and  wages will come from Him. 

Other than that, if you are in a position where you can listen to audio teachings as you work, I can recommend so great and very long in-depth series studying the Bible.  Then, as you work, you are learning hour by hour.  A good audio Bible is a great way to spend your working day (again, if you can). 

If you are unable to listen to teachings, have you tried Biblical Meditation?  This gets me through the day a lot and is a joy to do whilst you work.  The hard the concept, the deeper the meditation, the more your grow.  You can read about Biblical Mediation here. I think it's like in the second section down.

Also you could try setting goals for yourself in the evening when you get out of work (a hobby perhaps) so that you a motivated to work through the day to get back home.  Or maybe even set yourself goals at work (introducing efficiencies etc) to achieve more by a certain time or to a certain level, one step at a time, to make your job more like a puzzle you are solving.

I hope it goes well for you.  Let me know if you need an audio series recommendations.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom @Sharms

Wow, I would love such a job.  Working alongside very worldly coworkers is not enjoyable to say the least. If only we could trade... :)

But as to some advice, you are probably aware of Colossian 3:23-24,  the principal being that we should work in our jobs as if we are working directly for the Lord.   As if your appraisal and  wages will come from Him. 

Other than that, if you are in a position where you can listen to audio teachings as you work, I can recommend so great and very long in-depth series studying the Bible.  Then, as you work, you are learning hour by hour.  A good audio Bible is a great way to spend your working day (again, if you can). 

If you are unable to listen to teachings, have you tried Biblical Meditation?  This gets me through the day a lot and is a joy to do whilst you work.  The hard the concept, the deeper the meditation, the more your grow.  You can read about Biblical Mediation here. I think it's like in the second section down.

Also you could try setting goals for yourself in the evening when you get out of work (a hobby perhaps) so that you a motivated to work through the day to get back home.  Or maybe even set yourself goals at work (introducing efficiencies etc) to achieve more by a certain time or to a certain level, one step at a time, to make your job more like a puzzle you are solving.

I hope it goes well for you.  Let me know if you need an audio series recommendations.

Love & Shalom

Thank you for your advice! Yes I can listen to audios and I do alot... I did learn alot listening to sermons and audio books etc. But what I am concerned about is that I am not exposed socially and it might impede my interactions with regards to meeting new people and just making friends...... 

2 minutes ago, Sharms said:

Thank you for your advice! Yes I can listen to audios and I do alot... I did learn alot listening to sermons and audio books etc. But what I am concerned about is that I am not exposed socially and it might impede my interactions with regards to meeting new people and just making friends...... 

Ahh, I see.  In that case, you are doing the right thing coming onto this forum for one.  You might get a kick out of using the chat system as it's "live" interaction.

But maybe because of this "handicap" you might want to force yourself to attend a class in the evenings - such a cookery, art, fitness/martial art or even language (maybe Hebrew/Greek) - something that will force the social element into your life if it's not coming naturally.  It might sound like a chore, and it probably will be at first, but it could offset that loneliness you might face...

Are you in a church at the moment?  Maybe you could offer to start a house group once a week.  You don't need to be knowledgeable to lead it, just willing.  Alternatively, maybe your church has one you can attend?

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Are you in a church at the moment?  Maybe you could offer to start a house group once a week.  You don't need to be knowledgeable to lead it, just willing.  Alternatively, maybe your church has one you can attend?

Yes I am.. I am very much involved as well. I guess I just miss being out in the world (not in an ungodly way) but to just have different connections I don't know how to explain it lol. But yes I do realize that I have to force the social aspect, because being away from people so many hours makes one more reclusive. Humans are social beings and even though this is my preferred kind of job it is not good for my health to be away from people. 

6 minutes ago, Sharms said:

I guess I just miss being out in the world (not in an ungodly way)

I understand.  Strange because I'm the opposite.  I would love to do a job like yours and be less social! lol.  

But this is worthy of consideration - I have wanted to be out of the world and have instead found myself in a very worldly workplace.  I noticed that it was very similar to other workplaces I have left, because of that "worldliness".  So, when I found myself in the same type of environment today, I took a different perspective thinking "Maybe I will always end up in environments like this until I learn what the Father is trying to teach me?"  From that moment, I have learned a lot about myself, about the Lord, about the world.  

Therefore, maybe you are in this work environment now because the Father is trying to teach you something? Because surely He knows that I prefer lonely places and yet He placed me in a social one.  In the same way, He knows that you desire a social environment and put you in a lonely one...

So listen carefully to your life and the lessons that you may still have to discover from it.  Maybe He wants you to spend more time with Him alone?  Maybe He has given you the gifting of a prayer warrior?  Is He wanting to teach you to rely on Him alone or perhaps He wants to train you during these quiet times for something to come?   Listen carefully and observe your life today as an allegorical school.   

Perhaps, like me, you'll learn great lessons about yourself, Yahweh and His Word through the seemingly mundane day-to-day...

Love & Shalom

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,382
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I'd enjoy a job with little to no coworkers, too. But another thing is, aside from setting goals for yourself, set rewards for yourself as well if you feel you can trust yourself with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

None of the issues that come with coworkers? Solitude? Hoho, sounds like a dream to me. 

What I've found rather enjoyable about being alone is time with my thoughts. Though admittedly, my thoughts are hardly ever profound or productive. Like, why do they sell you 8 buns when you can only buy 6 hotdogs? If a frog needed glasses, what would they look like? Truly, a philosopher. I need to occupy my mind with better things. That, and if you aren't speaking, you are listening and are more focused. You will often notice things you would have otherwise missed.

Though, too much time with your own mind isn't good, either. It's not all sunshine and rainbows in there. I'd recommend what the others have, and suggest finding social activities to fill in the void. 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

2 hours ago, Sharms said:

This is something I have heard from people who work from home completely. They miss the social aspect of having someone to talk about politics or sports, etc.. Seems like you are already part of a Church and hope you enjoy that fellowship. That is really important. Try to engage in some local Bible studies. There are lot of men's fellowship as well. That would help you form a circle of friends who are some in spiritual nature. You can also try finding some social groups in meetup based on your hobbies. If you play sports, you can find some local groups through meetup. You can do that a couple of days and that will help you socialized with people and talk about stuff which you don't get to do at work!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.43

3 hours ago, Sharms said:

Sharms,

If I may, take some time and volunteer at the Local Homeless shelter or working with those less fortunate than you are, this will help you to appreciate the Work you have and Motivate you to reach out to those who are in need. In Other Words, be content with what You have, because there are many who do not have what you have. Working with the Poor and homeless will place your life in right perspective as well as bringing people to socialize with. Self motivation comes with the right perspective of thankfulness and gratitude for what you have.