• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/18/2000

I've been following the Syrian Civil War fairly closely for a bit over a year now. The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) were the closest thing we had to a democracy in the region, and Trump deciding to pull out against the Pentagon's wishes just ruined that.

Turkey has had a long conflict against the Kurds, with Kurds living in Turkey facing laws in the 80s and 90s doing things like even outlawing the Kurdish language. From these attacks on Kurdish identity, a Marxist group known as the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) emerged and started launching attacks against Turkey. Turkey associates the SDF with the PKK, and has been eager to crush them over the course of the AANES's existence, with occasional shelling happening along the border and firefights between Turkish backed rebel forces and Jihadists occurring from Afrin to Manbij.

This is the first time since I started monitoring the war I feel legitimately terrified about the implications.

Trump essentially just gave the green light for one of two things to happen, the Kurds in Syria facing at a worst case scenario, an ethnic cleansing, or the Kurds will be forced to give in to Assad.

Either way, Trump has blood on his hands, avoidable blood. And if the Kurds decide to submit to Assad (which I think is the most likely outcome), well you can expect Iranian airbases to start popping up closer to Israel.

The Kurds also have been keeping former civilians from ISIS controlled territory, many of whom still support the Islamic State, and Turkey has just opened up the opportunity for the resurgence of ISIS. We've already seen this with the recent strikes in central Aleppo and the recent escape of the al-Hawl refugee camp.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Trump told the president of Turkey he would totally destroy their economy if they attacked the Kurds in Syria....   The Kurds are keeping about 10 thousand disbanded ISIS people in check in northers Syria....     Russia and the Syrian Army are supposed to take our place there.....     Somewhere I heard that the number of people we were pulling out of that area was less than a hundred...

I don't believe that President Trump would just turn his back on the Kurds.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I am not sure what to think about this.

on the one hand I applaud bring troops home.

On the other hand there were just Bout 50 personnel there.

This appears to be more of a giving Turkey permission and if the result is increased threat to Israel, that could mean starting the war.

Could that be the plan? Pushing the inevitable conflict to a sooner date?

24 minutes ago, other one said:

Trump told the president of Turkey he would totally destroy their economy if they attacked the Kurds in Syria....   The Kurds are keeping about 10 thousand disbanded ISIS people in check in northers Syria....     Russia and the Syrian Army are supposed to take our place there.....     Somewhere I heard that the number of people we were pulling out of that area was less than a hundred...

I don't believe that President Trump would just turn his back on the Kurds.

We had 50 troops there, and that was really all we needed to dissuade Turkey.

We were also establishing a "safe zone" along the border, this was supposedly supposed to allow for the settlement of Syrian refugees. Part of that safe zone arrangement was the destruction of Kurdish defenses along the border.

About two weeks after the border defenses were removed, Turkey began Operation Peace Spring, launching an offensive into Rojava. Trump disallowed Turkish use of Coalition airspace as well, the Turkish Air Force violated that too.

Trump not only allowed this to happen, he made it worse through the removal of Kurdish defenses. Turkish forces have already begun moving in on border cities, there are already casualties military and civilian.

This is a betrayal plain and simple.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

8 minutes ago, Clipper said:

We had 50 troops there, and that was really all we needed to dissuade Turkey.

We were also establishing a "safe zone" along the border, this was supposedly supposed to allow for the settlement of Syrian refugees. Part of that safe zone arrangement was the destruction of Kurdish defenses along the border.

About two weeks after the border defenses were removed, Turkey began Operation Peace Spring, launching an offensive into Rojava. Trump disallowed Turkish use of Coalition airspace as well, the Turkish Air Force violated that too.

Trump not only allowed this to happen, he made it worse through the removal of Kurdish defenses. Turkish forces have already begun moving in on border cities, there are already casualties military and civilian.

This is a betrayal plain and simple.

It's a sad day......

We have no choice but to wait and see what happens, but I suspect, if A new base is built closer to Israel--Israel will make preemptive strikes.

This is certainly piling on stress to a stressful situation. It doesn't make sense at the face of it.

This is why I am wondering if it's a strategy between Trump and Israel...to knock out Iran.

1 minute ago, Alive said:

We have no choice but to wait and see what happens, but I suspect, if A new base is built closer to Israel--Israel will make preemptive strikes.

This is certainly piling on stress to a stressful situation. It doesn't make sense at the face of it.

This is why I am wondering if it's a strategy between Trump and Israel...to knock out Iran.

It is true that Israel conducts airstrikes whenever a new Iranian airbase begins construction.

Who wants a war with Iran? Does anybody think that's a good idea in all honesty? The Syrian Civil War, a conflict based entirely within Syria, killed about 371,222–570,000 people, internally displaced about 7,600,000 people, and created about 5,116,000 refugees. Iran has about four times as many people as Syria. A war against Iran would be disastrous for everyone involved.

Even if it was some plot to escalate the proxy war against Iran, that would help Saudi Arabia way more than Israel. Allowing Turkey to invade like that benefits only Turkey, Jihadist militias in the region, and, after the war concludes with the likely victory of Syrian Government forces, the Iranian and Russian governments. There is practically no way that this helps Israel or the West.

This isn't some Donald Trump playing 4D chess type shenanigans, he just went against his military advisers for reasons left unknown and gave up a crucial geopolitical ally.

My hope for democracy in Syria has vanished, thanks Trump.

These are all good points. I was thinking about the nuclear threat potential.