• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  0

20 hours ago, Neighbor said:

So why the idea that God permitted  or only allowed?

I think this was the main question?

It is a difficult one that has gathered various opinions over the years.  From the scriptures we have seemingly opposing statements like "God does not tempt anyone with evil"  - James 1 

yet we have Job and

-  Abraham commanded to offer his son as a sacrifice

-  And God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the leaders of Shechem, and the leaders of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech  - Judges 9:23

-  Now the Spirit of the LORD had departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD tormented him. - 1 Samuel 16:14

-  etc.

When I come across these types of issues, I have learned to realize that the problem is in my concepts: the way I have been trained by teachers and life experiences.  God is consistent, but he can do different things at different times. 

I think that a big clue is in the James passage. Context, yet again.  James can be difficult.  Martin Luther doubted the inclusion of James in canon as the wording can make it difficult to reconcile.  I don't hold that view as I think it can be reconciled, if you keep in mind your foundational truths as you read it.

So in our passage about not tempting with evil. James says:

Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

Foundational Truth - Jesus died for the sins of the world: once for all.
Foundational Truth - The unforgiveable sin is rejecting Jesus as illustrated in Matt 12 and Hebrews 10.

James is talking about trials.  What is a trial?  We all recognize that the difficulty in our lives are trials or testings to build our character towards Hope (see Romans 5).  What is being tested often?  Our ability to stand resolved against the opportunity to doubt God.  This was clearly the issue with Job, etc. 

God put the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden, then told Adam and Eve to not eat.   I will not be so insolent as to think God did not plan ahead.  He put the tree and gave the command.

Who did the tempting?  Satan

What is Satans ultimate goal?  I believe it is to supplant faith in God with anything he can use.  He wants to destroy our faith to cause us to die in the unforgiven sin.  That is Evil complete (the sin of the canaanites is not yet complete)

Does God send the trials? Yes.  Does God send bad things?  Yes.

Does he tempt or want us to complete our sin?  No he has done everything he can to prevent that.

So while it seems God plays too close to the edge, it is a deadly game and he is the master strategist.

I hope that makes sense.  Not thinking very clearly right now, so I am not sure I connected all the pieces.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, James is a favored and helpful to me book.

As to tests and trials; I find that for me I have no excuse regardless.  I need not find my fault(s), my sin against God to be because of anyone nor any thing except me. I am depraved from my own beginning in this body of flesh. My redemption is not within me, nor in Paul or James' inspired accounts, but in Christ Jesus alone. My separation from God is reconciled by God  through His grace alone because of his mercy alone.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 minutes ago, Tampered With said:

My first impression is do you think that G_d did not know where Satan had been?

I think God speaks in a very Jewish manner, or Jews speak in the manner of God. When  a question is posed it is not to ask of that which is unknown  but instead to declare a topic open for discussion.