• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

THE FEAR OF THE LORD

Pr 1:7   The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
Pr 9:10  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
Pr 15:33  The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor.

Jesus said, "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him." Luke 12:4,5

And Peter writes, "If you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear" 1Peter 1:17

Therefore let us evaluate our attitude towards God as to whether or not we truly fear the Lord. For one cannot mature in the Christian life without such an attitude.

The Proverb Series

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0

God does seem fear-worthy!

I heard somewhere that God does not mean for us to fear him in a craven way (my word: craven) and yet, I tend to think he does....

I also heard from the psychology people that if you fear God or "give him negative attributes" it is because your own father was bad somehow (or words to that effect)

well, my father was no saint (that I know of.. didn't know him well ever.. but esp in the last yrs of his life) but he was not exactly.. uh.. Karl Marx comes to mind, very bad father and husband..

so yeh, I always had a good attitude toward my father and he was always so easy to forgive when he did things I didn't like.. so I know that the psychologists have it wrong if they think I am afraid of God bc of my relationship w/ my father 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  2

18 hours ago, bcbsr said:

THE FEAR OF THE LORD

Pr 1:7   The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
Pr 9:10  The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
Pr 15:33  The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor.

Jesus said, "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him." Luke 12:4,5

And Peter writes, "If you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear" 1Peter 1:17

Therefore let us evaluate our attitude towards God as to whether or not we truly fear the Lord. For one cannot mature in the Christian life without such an attitude.

The Proverb Series

Those are good reminders!

1 hour ago, Tampered With said:

I see and hear "Christians" all the time talk about G_d and act like G_d is impotent and I know it makes me angry inside so I can only imagine how it makes G_d feel to hear such things out of the mouths of those who are supposed to love Him. How deep can their faith be? 

Nahum 1:3 Amplified Bible (AMP)

The Lord is slow to anger and great in power
And He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished.
The Lord has His way in the whirlwind and in the storm,
And the clouds are the dust beneath His feet.

Ask Ananias and Sapphira if we should fear God?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I think God prefers it if we can obey Him out of love. But I also believe if a person can't obey Him through love then that person better fear God, and obey Him by fear.

Every one of us is truly different. I worked with a man, younger than me, who grew up in some kind of Christian church, but all the talk about fearing God made this man turn away from God. I explained to him what I said above and he told me I just saved his faith. He just couldn't understand why he should follow a God that wants him to be afraid. But he was overjoyed to believe in a God who wanted love from him. I guess this is one meaning of "rightly dividing the Word of God".

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, JTC said:

I think God prefers it if we can obey Him out of love. But I also believe if a person can't obey Him through love then that person better fear God, and obey Him by fear.

Every one of us is truly different. I worked with a man, younger than me, who grew up in some kind of Christian church, but all the talk about fearing God made this man turn away from God. I explained to him what I said above and he told me I just saved his faith. He just couldn't understand why he should follow a God that wants him to be afraid. But he was overjoyed to believe in a God who wanted love from him. I guess this is one meaning of "rightly dividing the Word of God".

Everyone reacts to things different.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I have learned to think of that 'fear of the Lord' admonition to mean more along the lines of being in awe of Him.

Its a difficult feeling or sense to describe--I reckon.

But I have been 'afraid of consequences' once or twice.

:-)

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,276
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

34 minutes ago, Alive said:

I have learned to think of that 'fear of the Lord' admonition to mean more along the lines of being in awe of Him.

Its a difficult feeling or sense to describe--I reckon.

I agree.  To me, the fear of the Lord is more about having a deep reverence for God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

2 hours ago, Alive said:

I have learned to think of that 'fear of the Lord' admonition to mean more along the lines of being in awe of Him

I agree that for us that Fear should be awe or reverence. But for the ancient Israelis I think it meant be afraid because in OT times God killed some for wrong doings. God also sent them into exile after years & years of warning them. Nowadays I think the worst that happens is we can lose His blessings for a while.

I understand the feeling of awe and reverence.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

We don’t often think about such things. We just live it, but I suspect all sons can relate.

After all...we are family. Just typing that last sentence makes my soul jump.