IGNORED

Ways to protect myself during and after pregnancy...

Figure of eighty

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  239
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,542
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

I just got the scare of my life. I was walking my dogs. Theyre small and all of a sudden a unleashed big grey dog runs up and I was scared so i let go of them. I got the dogs not too long ago ..so they have issues like not being socialized and with limited funds I can only do so much. 

Everyrhing is fine now. The owner got his dog but it scared me at how defenseless I was. Im 39 wks pregnant. That dog could have ripped me to shreds as I can barely run. Theres alot of dogs that are unleashed that roam around here and it scares me but im tired of beinf scared. 

What are some ways i can protect myself not just against animals but people as well? 

What would have done in this situation?

I hate that im so far along bc im so vulnerable. I wish my baby would come bc im too vulnerable rn and its annoying not beinf able to do anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,382
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Pepper spray might be an option. No guarantee that it will totally incapacitate a dog or person set on attacking you but it's likely to help a lot.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,674
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Get a bigger dog. A large well trained German Shepard will stop pretty much anything. Short of that...pepper spray.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

Ask at the policestation how often people or babies are bitten in the park or in the surrounding streets.

ditto for assults/robberies on mother and babies.

Justifiable fears need precautions, but unrealistic fears need to be faced.

On a simple practical note, if other dogs do frighten you take a walking stick or umbrella with you. and hold that betwee you and a dog so it can bite the stick/umberella, If its a spring open umberella that would provide a big screen for any dog to worry at.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Perhaps get rid of the dogs. A new mom is not going to be a ball of energy after giving birth either. No pepper pray, no umbrella, no weaponry, is going to help that issue. A new mom is about to discover what real tired is like. And parents tend to be tired for about 18 to 25 years, often feeling vulnerable, and parents are. That's life, sometimes one has need to make decisions, and ask questions, like what the heck am I doing with two dogs anyway. Is this a particularly smart thing to be doing? Can I afford them? Can I give time to them and a baby too? Might it be better all around for the dogs to have another home?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Perhaps get rid of the dogs. A new mom is not going to be a ball of energy after giving birth either. No pepper pray, no umbrella, no weaponry, is going to help that issue. A new mom is about to discover what real tired is like. And parents tend to be tired for about 18 to 25 years, often feeling vulnerable, and parents are. That's life, sometimes one has need to make decisions, and ask questions, like what the heck am I doing with two dogs anyway. Is this a particularly smart thing to be doing? Can I afford them? Can I give time to them and a baby too? Might it be better all around for the dogs to have another home?

My mom took the dogs in not me. Even though we( my brothers and I take them out bc she works alot) 

So that would be her call. She loves the dogs so she won't give them up. 

I do agree with pepper spray, pepper spray and mace were my first thoughts.

Edited by Figure of eighty

4 hours ago, Who me said:

Ask at the policestation how often people or babies are bitten in the park or in the surrounding streets.

ditto for assults/robberies on mother and babies.

Justifiable fears need precautions, but unrealistic fears need to be faced.

On a simple practical note, if other dogs do frighten you take a walking stick or umbrella with you. and hold that betwee you and a dog so it can bite the stick/umberella, If its a spring open umberella that would provide a big screen for any dog to worry at.

Where Im at Ive seen quite a few dogs roam unleashed and it baffles me how irresponsible owners can be. 

My brother told me a story/ pointer about how when he'd walk to work he'd encouter dogs coming up to him and barking that its best to not run. He'd just stare them down let them sniff and they'd eventually leave him alone. 

The whole ordeal yesterday made me realize that I need protection not just for myself but my baby too and not only from animals but people that intend to do harm. 

I hate being vulnerable. 

Idk i may need a small little pistol or something. 

6 hours ago, The_Patriot2019 said:

Get a bigger dog. A large well trained German Shepard will stop pretty much anything. Short of that...pepper spray.

Big dogs are great. Its just after dealing with these small dogs. I feel im not a dog person. I feel they take more work than babies. 

Maybe when my son gets older ill get a doberman or bullterrier.

9 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

Pepper spray might be an option. No guarantee that it will totally incapacitate a dog or person set on attacking you but it's likely to help a lot.

Are tazers legal?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

I do agree with pepper spray, pepper spray and mace were my first thoughts.

Pretty effective against a good deal of potential problems. Not so effective against sudden and unexpected breezes or cross winds. Something that must be kept close at hand for surprises. Well known for not being ideal on drug crazed and/or the extremely intoxicated. I think pepper spray has little if any restrictions, but ownership and use of mace needs classes and certification. 

2 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

Idk i may need a small little pistol or something.

This topic has been pretty well discussed previously, and I found it extremely educational. It's in the archives for back references. 

• Well Said! 1