Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dhchristian

Send Us Prophets, Not Profits!

Recommended Posts

Millions have been spent on evangelism in the last twenty-five years. Hundreds of gospel messages streak through the air over the nation every day. Crusades have been held; healing meetings have made a vital contribution. "Come-outers" have "come out" and settled, too, without a nation-shaking revival. Organizers we have. Skilled preachers abound. Multi-million dollar Christian organizations straddle the nation. BUT where, oh where, is the prophet? Where are the incandescent men fresh from the holy place? Where is the Moses to plead in fasting before the holiness of the Lord for our moldy morality, our political perfidy, and sour and sick spirituality?

GOD'S MEN ARE IN HIDING UNTIL THE DAY OF THEIR SHOWING FORTH. They will come. The prophet is violated during his ministry, but he is vindicated by history.

There is a terrible vacuum in evangelical Christianity today. The missing person in our ranks is the prophet. The man with a terrible earnestness. The man totally otherworldly. The man rejected by other men, even other good men, because they consider him too austere, too severely committed, too negative and unsociable.

Let him be as plain as John the Baptist.
Let him for a season be a voice crying in the wilderness of modern theology and
stagnant "churchianity."
Let him be as selfless as Paul the apostle.
Let him, too, say and live, "This ONE thing I do."
Let him reject ecclesiastical favors.
Let him be self-abasing, nonself-seeking, nonself-projecting, nonself- righteous,
nonself-glorying, nonself-promoting.
Let him say nothing that will draw men to himself but only that which will move
men to God.
Let him come daily from the throne room of a holy God, the place where he has
received the order of the day.
Let him, under God, unstop the ears of the millions who are deaf through the
clatter of shekels milked from this hour of material mesmerism.
Let him cry with a voice this century has not heard because he has seen a vision
no man in this century has seen. God send us this Moses to lead us from the
wilderness of crass materialism, where the rattlesnakes of lust bite us and where
enlightened men, totally blind spiritually, lead us to an ever-nearing Armageddon.

God have mercy! Send us PROPHETS!

Leonard Ravenhill, The Picture of a Prophet

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=22867

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm...

My thought is we just aren't listening to the prophets that are here. We want new ones because we don't like the message we hear or are too dull to hear it.

There's a dearth of hearing, not a dearth of messengers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Diaste said:

Hmm...

My thought is we just aren't listening to the prophets that are here. We want new ones because we don't like the message we hear or are too dull to hear it.

There's a dearth of hearing, not a dearth of messengers.

Very true too! Just like in Jesus' day, and whenever a prophet is sent. 

The Church wants revival, they want unity of the Spirit, they want fulness, but when someone presents these things to them they recoil in fear of the Move of the Spirit. The Cult of textualism has placed fear in the fundamentalists of such a movement, the fear of doctrine and truth has made the Pentecostals afraid of discernment, for then they would have to admit false spirits among them, And the wealth of the Laodiceans has made them afraid of admitting their need for anything lest they lose their wealth and status, The Calvinists are afraid of losing their calling, The catholics afraid of losing their identity in the church universal.... They Love the Lie more than the Truth, and therefore live in fear.  For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7) 

Words like conviction, repentance, Sin, death to self, etc. are not popular in this day and age. Instead its all about feelings, self esteem, feel good music and worship, health, wealth and prosperity, Even in the so called evangelical and fundamentalist churches nowadays..... But hear they will, eventually.... Might be too late then? 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dhchristian said:

Very true too! Just like in Jesus' day, and whenever a prophet is sent. 

The Church wants revival, they want unity of the Spirit, they want fulness, but when someone presents these things to them they recoil in fear of the Move of the Spirit. The Cult of textualism has placed fear in the fundamentalists of such a movement, the fear of doctrine and truth has made the Pentecostals afraid of discernment, for then they would have to admit false spirits among them, And the wealth of the Laodiceans has made them afraid of admitting their need for anything lest they lose their wealth and status, The Calvinists are afraid of losing their calling, The catholics afraid of losing their identity in the church universal.... They Love the Lie more than the Truth, and therefore live in fear.  For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7) 

Words like conviction, repentance, Sin, death to self, etc. are not popular in this day and age. Instead its all about feelings, self esteem, feel good music and worship, health, wealth and prosperity, Even in the so called evangelical and fundamentalist churches nowadays..... But hear they will, eventually.... Might be too late then? 

Many, most maybe, won't change or hear until pressured. It's a sad fact but it's real. I don't see anything wrong with "feelings, self esteem, feel good music and worship, health, wealth and prosperity," as long as it's in proper context. If Jesus Christ is the pinnacle of ones life in the surest fullest relationship then I would think all of that is exactly as promised, and more.

The problem is those things tend to interrupt the relationship and become the reason for living, the acme of existence, and the vision of heavenly rewards is dulled, as well as the consequences for the lack of vision and the close relationship with our Savior.

"When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it."

Not much has changed.

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

Need prophets ? Send profit !

https://www.etinside.com/?p=539

I Was wondering when you would post that? I Was surprised Joel Osteen was so low on the list, and I would not call Farakhan a "Pastor" of the church as he is a Muslim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those who teach the word of God will be judged more harshly in heaven James 3:1. So it is important that they teach God's word as it is in the Bible. Those who have seen the true word of God and their brains have digested the words will be judged for that as well. Especially if they have denied the words they have seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 7:46 PM, dhchristian said:

Millions have been spent on evangelism in the last twenty-five years. Hundreds of gospel messages streak through the air over the nation every day. Crusades have been held; healing meetings have made a vital contribution. "Come-outers" have "come out" and settled, too, without a nation-shaking revival. Organizers we have. Skilled preachers abound. Multi-million dollar Christian organizations straddle the nation. BUT where, oh where, is the prophet? Where are the incandescent men fresh from the holy place? Where is the Moses to plead in fasting before the holiness of the Lord for our moldy morality, our political perfidy, and sour and sick spirituality?

GOD'S MEN ARE IN HIDING UNTIL THE DAY OF THEIR SHOWING FORTH. They will come. The prophet is violated during his ministry, but he is vindicated by history.

There is a terrible vacuum in evangelical Christianity today. The missing person in our ranks is the prophet. The man with a terrible earnestness. The man totally otherworldly. The man rejected by other men, even other good men, because they consider him too austere, too severely committed, too negative and unsociable.

Let him be as plain as John the Baptist.
Let him for a season be a voice crying in the wilderness of modern theology and
stagnant "churchianity."
Let him be as selfless as Paul the apostle.
Let him, too, say and live, "This ONE thing I do."
Let him reject ecclesiastical favors.
Let him be self-abasing, nonself-seeking, nonself-projecting, nonself- righteous,
nonself-glorying, nonself-promoting.
Let him say nothing that will draw men to himself but only that which will move
men to God.
Let him come daily from the throne room of a holy God, the place where he has
received the order of the day.
Let him, under God, unstop the ears of the millions who are deaf through the
clatter of shekels milked from this hour of material mesmerism.
Let him cry with a voice this century has not heard because he has seen a vision
no man in this century has seen. God send us this Moses to lead us from the
wilderness of crass materialism, where the rattlesnakes of lust bite us and where
enlightened men, totally blind spiritually, lead us to an ever-nearing Armageddon.

God have mercy! Send us PROPHETS!

Leonard Ravenhill, The Picture of a Prophet

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=22867

I have had prophets "read my mail" several times in my life, very accurately.  But this was just someone giving a prophecy. You are speaking of someone in the OFFICE of the prophet. They are indeed scarce.  But there are a few around.

However, we also need apostles. We need spirit led teachers - people in the office of the teacher.

By the way, God is certainly not against profit. We are all to work so we have money to give.  God does not want money to have people. Sadly that happens.

Edited by iamlamad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, iamlamad said:

God does not want money to have people. Sadly that happens.

Handing out money to the poor can be detrimental creating dependence or feeding an addiction, handing up money to the rich is falling victim to extortion. We need to be wise with what money we are blessed with. Sometimes we need to hand the man a fish that he may eat, But ultimately we need to teach a man to fish that he may be independent. The same is true of handing up our wealth. Extortion is a rich man's dependence, By Handing money up to them we are not teaching them independence, instead we are being detrimental to their health and well being, Just like handing money to a drug addict is detrimental to their health. That being said we need to discern when giving our money to ministries that they will be used wisely by the recipients, and not, being used to feed their addiction to extortion. The Love of Money is the root of all evil, Not money itself, but the love thereof. By Handing money up to these extortion ministries we are in fact enabling their addiction to extortion. The road to hell is paved with good intentions as the old saying goes.

I Had a fellow worker who was struggling. He was an alcoholic and fell behind on his bills had his truck repossessed. I Had the means to get him a vehicle to get to work in so I did, on the condition that he get help for his addiction, which he did. I Did not expect to be repaid, but he did repay me for that cost with his labor for me in the future, to his credit, because he learned to fish. I Did not feed his addiction but conditioned my giving on him seeking help with his addiction. Until the extortioner admits their addiction we should never give them money, for we are only enabling their addiction, like buying an alcoholic a drink. Instead, we should expose their addiction to them so that they will admit their error. Unfortunately some will never admit their error, But exposing them is the best way for us to Love them. Instead of giving your money to an addict in denial, use discernment and give that money to the poor who knows they have made a mistake and help them to get back on their feet, there are plenty of them out there we just need to look and listen and we will find them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 4:15 AM, Diaste said:

"When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it."

Not much has changed.

So true.  Lies lead to deception which leads to sin.  Lies are designed to affect behavior.  Satan's MO hasn't changed.  It ensnared Eve as it is ensnaring billions today.  We are in the last days battle of truth vs. lies which is working to mature the crop.

The ungodly behavior we read about that is associated with the last days is directly related to the prevalence of lies that Jesus warned about in Matthew 24:4.

Believing truth will also affect our behavior.  Be light and salt by living the truth.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...