• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,787
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Application wise how God was to them so also will He be to all likened unto those … for now we are the children of God just as they.

Gal 3:6-8

6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
KJV

• Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  64

8 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Thanks for this posting .  I don't have a strong opinion on this but to comment and some thoughts on it.  Many people do pull and quote the parts of scripture they like or think apply to them. Yet in scripture sometimes only some verses (or parts) do apply.  I am not saying it is right or wrong  to quote Jeremiah 29:11  but, think about this, if Jesus said the same thing as Jer. 29.11 (as the gentleman in the video said)  then it may also be acceptable to quote it as well since Jesus confirmed it?

Jesus did quote partial sections of  scriptures those that applied to himself or situations or people or nations.  Of course,  we are not God and God knows everything and who and what it applies to and can do whatever he wants. (Just saying this for for clarification in case their are new believers here)

2Tim.3 Verses 16 to 17

[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.  

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

15 hours ago, Amanda Frances said:

then it may also be acceptable to quote it as well since Jesus confirmed it?

Point is, scripture has a context, I think we should look to that, to see what a verse or passages says.

Then he went away and hanged himself. Matt 27:5

Go, and do thou likewise. Luke 10:37

"What you do, do quickly." John 13:27

So, if Jesus says something about having plans for us, good plans, then by all means, quote Jesus! I ran into another manifestation of this tendency just tonight, coincidentally. A woman quoted Acts 16:

29 And the jailer called for lights and rushed in, and trembling with fear he fell down before Paul and Silas. 30 Then he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

She thought that should be seen as a promise, that if a person comes to believe in the Lord Jesus, that that person and their family, will be saved. I don't think it works like that. the announcement was to one man, not to every person.

There are some promises that are broader, like:

2 Tim 3:

12 Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.

I do not recall ever hearing anyone trying to claim that promise.

• Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  64

10 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Point is, scripture has a context, I think we should look to that, to see what a verse or passages says.

Then he went away and hanged himself. Matt 27:5

Go, and do thou likewise. Luke 10:37

"What you do, do quickly." John 13:27

So, if Jesus says something about having plans for us, good plans, then by all means, quote Jesus! I ran into another manifestation of this tendency just tonight, coincidentally. A woman quoted Acts 16:

29 And the jailer called for lights and rushed in, and trembling with fear he fell down before Paul and Silas. 30 Then he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

She thought that should be seen as a promise, that if a person comes to believe in the Lord Jesus, that that person and their family, will be saved. I don't think it works like that. the announcement was to one man, not to every person.

There are some promises that are broader, like:

2 Tim 3:

12 Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.

I do not recall ever hearing anyone trying to claim that promise.

Ome,

You make very good points.  Context and knowing scripture is very important.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,515
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  11

On 10/11/2019 at 2:43 PM, Amanda Frances said:

Context and knowing scripture is very important. 

I agree, and also knowing the heart of God.