• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi all,

Jumping back in; mostly with questions, thoughts, and conclusions for myself on the subject-

Seems to me as I speculate a bit that the scriptures do speak rather extensively  about wedding feasts, Jesus the groom, and the church His bride, and about bridesmaids, Bride and bridegroom consummation of the marriage, evidence of the bride being a virgin, and even a honeymoon cottage for Jesus' bride the church  being built even now by Jesus,  and to be declared ready at the Fathers approval of it. All  likened to the customs that individuals understood, and  which declares to me today there is much significance to  each marriage  ceremony,  that it is not merely related to a simple  an act of copulation, well except that the bride is to be worthy and provable worthy by custom  to be a virgin for her husband alone and to have had no other. Proof of which  was also quite  ceremonial too and presented to the grooms parents. Without that evidence the bride could be rejected even after the honeymoon.

There was also a  betrothal time period, with it's own set of customs.

So is it okay for one to just say, hey, we are married? Or; do those  words wedding and marriage signify something that honors God in a manner that is very  powerfully sanctioned by God regardless of which civil or religious authority executes that sanctioned ceremony under God? For all government is of God's will and by God.

In my own experience I found I could not dodge that, and had to commit to marriage signed sealed delivered and declared. Even though the second time around the horn so to speak  it was a really difficult process to prepare for at age 73.  And so I specualte a bit while sitting resting an dawaiting tomorrows church worship with the church, the local church body and bride of Christ Jesus.

Interesting subject. At the heart of all that dodging of the government sanctioning though is perhaps just the dodging itself. Dodging responsibility, by leaving room for easier escape (call it what you will), just never bonding to the point of no return which will  leave no backing away from the coupling of two to be one. -Except for having to do divorce, a serious matter. One avoiding marriage and it's sanctioning can just declare that's it, no harm no foul, and be gone, making a mockery of the coupling that was consummated in the first place.

Marriage all of it, with all of it's implications are rather  difficult, and perhaps it is perfect that way. Two becoming one is serious business.

I found even at 73 i couldn't do that.Tried to talk myself into it. Just didn't fly no matter how many feathers I put on the wings I was building.

Now  three years later wow, I am really happy for the total and difficult formality of our marriage union process.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

Hello all,

it appears that some here consider that the application of the scripture is to be based on indirect reference rather than on commandments. As you wish, I simply encourage you to be consistent in apply indirect references as Law in your other beliefs.

As to "dodging" the government:  there seems to be a substantial gap in the logic to go from examining the ceremonies mentioned to the establishment of governmental authority over the institution of marriage.  I see that the connection is made through the statement "For all government is of God's will and by God.".  No doubt a reference to Romans 13 and 1 Peter 2. And the trap set for Jesus about paying taxes.  This logic leads to many more issues, such as illustrated by Neighbor, all the other references to biblical pieces of the wedding ceremony that are not part of the government requirements.  The disconnect is significant.

Also worth noting is that the prior scriptures given in a rebuttal to one of my posts were all related to the New Testament greek. As noted in the first paragraph, these are all indirect references to ceremonies or state of being, not commands to obtain government permission.  None make mention of authorization.   To be sure I was not making a mistake, I carefully reviewed almost all the references made with related contexts.  I skipped in depth review of the synoptics and similar.  The review reinforced my position.

It is very informative to do an in depth study of the Hebrew related words.  Although some inferences are quite disturbing to the Western trained mind.

The One Flesh union is of great importance.  Just because I entirely reject the governmental authority over the husband-wife covenant in no way means that I disrespect it.  In fact, it is my respect for the Husband-Wife covenant that started me on my journey of discovery many years ago.  It is just that more recent changes in the law systems of many governments made it clear that the claimed authority does not indicate granted authority.

I purposely assume that Neighbor was directing the mildy offensive dodging allusions to some other poster.  He clearly could not have been refering to me as my statements in every post uphold the God Ordained state of the Husband-Wife Covenant.  And I have read enough of Neighbor's posts to have more respect for him than to have missed that.  Although it is always possible that my statements could be read in a way that communicates something different than intended.  Language is a blunt instrument.

Suffice it to say that each must pursue the level of understanding that opens to them.

For those that adhere to the Governmental version of Marriage:  I fervently pray for great dedication and love in your relationships.

For those that adhere to the Husband-Wife Covenant before God and Church alone: I fervently pray for great dedication and love in your relationships.

• 8 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 10/11/2019 at 12:58 AM, Melinda12 said:

...instead of full wedding? 

A couple in their early 60s. Both Christians. The woman is a widow and her fiancee a gentleman who has never been married. They met, went out for a while and realised they are very compatible and in love. They planned marriage. 

Then the lady realised if she marries, she will lose her late husband's pension he left her. She depends on it. Her fiancee has only a modest wage. They will not be able to manage. 

They cannot marry and live together. They thought about maybe a church blessing, a ceremony without the legal part. At least they could still have their big planned day, commit to each other in the sight of God and loved ones, joyous reception with friends and family. Also their much planned honeymoon. 

What on earth can they do? Is a church blessing the same as being married in front of God?  

The women has to make that sacrifice, or not get married. She cannot have it both ways. She needs to weigh the pros and cons before deciding to get married to this man. Blessings are blessings and marriage vows are marriage vows.