Help With Isaiah Context

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I am currently in the book of Isaiah. My question is to do with the order the book is written.

I am trying to understand the logic, it doesn’t appear to be written chronologically. If it is not, what is the logic to the order of the chapters?

Thanks!

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

Can't help you with explaining Isaiah can only sugest you talk to your minister, or check out the free online commentaries such as:-

https://www.biblestudytools.com/isaiah/

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/matthew-henry/Isaiah

https://www.bible-history.com/old-testament/bookofisaiah.html

or you visit your local christian book shop and buy one or two.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom @Open7

Isaiah, a 66 chapter book, is principally divided into two parts.  Chapters 1-39 and 40-66, with the latter half focusing mainly on the Messiah (even though there are prophecies are in the former section).

But, in this way, it can be seen as the Bible in miniature, as the Bible has 66 books.  Book 40 (Matthew) begins the New Testament with John the Baptist and chapter 40 of Isaiah begins with prophesying about a “voice crying in the wilderness…”

Historical Context: Israel is soon to be exiled by the Assyrians, at the beginning of Isaiah's ministry. After they were exiled, the crosshairs turn to Judah in the latter half of Isaiah's ministry, as they remain unrepentant. Assyria threatens them but they ultimately fail (spoiler) as the Babylonians begin to rise in background - slowly becoming the powerful nation that would one day take Judah into captivity. (Amazingly, Isaiah prophecies about Babylon and their fall before they even rise!) 

Now, I can understand why you are confused about the order of the book, so let me try and help you with the former section of the book and how it should be parsed, as it is essentially a collection of scrolls formed into one.  This is no official division below, but it may help you....

---------------------------

Chapters 1-5

Isaiah comes out swinging!  The message is hard hitting and sorrowful - Israel are about to be exiled and Judah still remain stubborn to Yahweh, the God of the Bible.  It’s poetic and written as a lawsuit (as Isaiah was a lawyer).  Take your time to understand the analogies he uses.  Prophecies follow thereafter,  which include a mixture of warnings AND promises, including some great insights on the Messiah (referred to as the Branch of the Lord).

Chapter 6 - Isaiah’s commission.  

This is the vision of how Isaiah met with Yahweh and how he was given his mission.  This probably comes first, chronologically speaking.  This is one of the rare places where Yahweh is described.  A special chapter indeed.

Chapter 7 - 8 - The story of Immanuel

Most Christians know of the prophecy of Immanuel from the Gospel, but some don’t know the original fulfilment of the prophecy.  As the promised child, Immanuel, was born for Judah in Isaiah’s day (Isaiah’s child) and served as a sign to Judah of Yahweh’s timing.  But this prophecy had a second fulfilling in the Messiah’s birth.  To understand this more, see the helpful guides at the end of this post!

Chapters 9 - 12

A fantastic prophecy of the Messiah coming to Galilee, written approximately 700 years before the event a long with visions of the second coming

Chapters 13 - 14

Judgement is pronounced against Babylon and the king of Babylon but there is a double meanings throughout.  Whilst the judgement is again the Nebuchadnezzar, the King of Babylon, the prophecy rips through the physical into the spiritual and speaks to satan as well.  One of the biggest insights into satan, along with Ezekiel Chapter 28, which works in the same fashion.

Chapters 15 – 23

Various judgements are pronounced on the surrounding nations and of those who took advantage of Israel and Judah’s downfall. It might seem heavy, but fascinating information is interspersed in these chapters so you shouldn’t skip this by any means.

Chapters 24 - 27 - "Little Apocalypse"

This section is called by some “The Little Apocalypse”.  These chapters read like another revelation, spelling out future events and promises.  In 26:20, there is thought to be a description of the rapture.  That’s only a possibility though (before anyone gets mad).

Chapters 28

A fascinating chapter.  It intrigues me for many reasons.  Not only does it apply to the leaders of Israel in those days, but the Jews today and maybe even some Christians today, if you are able to receive that.  I’m still meditating on this section as it’s very deep.  For more on Biblical Meditation, see here.

Chapters 29 – 35

A section of judgements and warnings for Jerusalem to not rely on the Egypt for strength but Yahweh.  There are allusions to the Messiah and His Kingdom intermingled with these warnings.

Chapters 36 - 39 - Sennacherib's Invasion

This last section of the first part of Isaiah (chapters 1-39) is an event that happened in King Hezekiah’s day, who was the king in Judah.  The Assyrian empire surround Jerusalem and she looked set for destruction.  It’s a fascinating drama that unfolds and I love Yahweh’s response in this.  Now, whilst this is a recorded event in history (even from third party sources) there are lessons in this story for us today.  See what you can learn about Yahweh in this story rather than just reading it as history.

Chapters 40 – 66

Rather than break this section down (as I have probably bored you to death already), understand this second part of Isaiah to be pertaining to the Messiah, His ministry and our future.  This section is majestic.  Just keep this in mind… is Isaiah always writing in first person?  Or is he writing what he hears the Messiah say? – The truth is a mixture of the both but keep an open mind and read this part with no preconceived ideas.  You learn about the Messiah  before He came, when He came and what happens when He comes back.  Very exciting and awe-inspiring.

--------------------------

HELPFUL GUIDE

Now, when you are reading through the prophets, don’t get bored by misunderstanding them thinking “it’s all for Israel and in the past! I’m just interested in the prophecies of Messiah”.  You would be shooting yourself in the foot.  Bible prophecy works in a miraculous way in that it has multiple fulfilments.  Some of the prophecies you read in Isaiah will come to pass again. 

To understand how this works and how to perceive this, check out this helpful guide here.

------------------------

I hope this helps.

Love & Shalom

Edited by Tzephanyahu
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

You will find that God designed a Kingdom of Priests to mediate between Him and the Nations. This was supposed to be Israel. It seems to have been derailed for a while - until you read Acts 2. Pentecost set it all back in motion.

Read about the Divine Council and God's plans and motives. His goals are well reflected in the Prophets, though a little obscure because: "had they but known, they never would have killed the King of Glory".

It is a Divine Plan. "The kingdom is nigh unto you.." said the Lord. Death has been defeated; the reversal of Hermon and the regathering of the nations. All working out just as Yahweh planned it.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

6 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom @Open7

Isaiah, a 66 chapter book, is principally divided into two parts.  Chapters 1-39 and 40-66, with the latter half focusing mainly on the Messiah (even though there are prophecies are in the former section).

But, in this way, it can be seen as the Bible in miniature, as the Bible has 66 books.  Book 40 (Matthew) begins the New Testament with John the Baptist and chapter 40 of Isaiah begins with prophesying about a “voice crying in the wilderness…”

Historical Context: Israel is soon to be exiled by the Assyrians, at the beginning of Isaiah's ministry. After they were exiled, the crosshairs turn to Judah in the latter half of Isaiah's ministry, as they remain unrepentant. Assyria threatens them but they ultimately fail (spoiler) as the Babylonians begin to rise in background - slowly becoming the powerful nation that would one day take Judah into captivity. (Amazingly, Isaiah prophecies about Babylon and their fall before they even rise!) 

Now, I can understand why you are confused about the order of the book, so let me try and help you with the former section of the book and how it should be parsed, as it is essentially a collection of scrolls formed into one.  This is no official division below, but it may help you....

---------------------------

Chapters 1-5

Isaiah comes out swinging!  The message is hard hitting and sorrowful - Israel are about to be exiled and Judah still remain stubborn to Yahweh, the God of the Bible.  It’s poetic and written as a lawsuit (as Isaiah was a lawyer).  Take your time to understand the analogies he uses.  Prophecies follow thereafter,  which include a mixture of warnings AND promises, including some great insights on the Messiah (referred to as the Branch of the Lord).

Chapter 6 - Isaiah’s commission.  

This is the vision of how Isaiah met with Yahweh and how he was given his mission.  This probably comes first, chronologically speaking.  This is one of the rare places where Yahweh is described.  A special chapter indeed.

Chapter 7 - 8 - The story of Immanuel

Most Christians know of the prophecy of Immanuel from the Gospel, but some don’t know the original fulfilment of the prophecy.  As the promised child, Immanuel, was born for Judah in Isaiah’s day (Isaiah’s child) and served as a sign to Judah of Yahweh’s timing.  But this prophecy had a second fulfilling in the Messiah’s birth.  To understand this more, see the helpful guides at the end of this post!

Chapters 9 - 12

A fantastic prophecy of the Messiah coming to Galilee, written approximately 700 years before the event a long with visions of the second coming

Chapters 13 - 14

Judgement is pronounced against Babylon and the king of Babylon but there is a double meanings throughout.  Whilst the judgement is again the Nebuchadnezzar, the King of Babylon, the prophecy rips through the physical into the spiritual and speaks to satan as well.  One of the biggest insights into satan, along with Ezekiel Chapter 28, which works in the same fashion.

Chapters 15 – 23

Various judgements are pronounced on the surrounding nations and of those who took advantage of Israel and Judah’s downfall. It might seem heavy, but fascinating information is interspersed in these chapters so you shouldn’t skip this by any means.

Chapters 24 - 27 - "Little Apocalypse"

This section is called by some “The Little Apocalypse”.  These chapters read like another revelation, spelling out future events and promises.  In 26:20, there is thought to be a description of the rapture.  That’s only a possibility though (before anyone gets mad).

Chapters 28

A fascinating chapter.  It intrigues me for many reasons.  Not only does it apply to the leaders of Israel in those days, but the Jews today and maybe even some Christians today, if you are able to receive that.  I’m still meditating on this section as it’s very deep.  For more on Biblical Meditation, see here.

Chapters 29 – 35

A section of judgements and warnings for Jerusalem to not rely on the Egypt for strength but Yahweh.  There are allusions to the Messiah and His Kingdom intermingled with these warnings.

Chapters 36 - 39 - Sennacherib's Invasion

This last section of the first part of Isaiah (chapters 1-39) is an event that happened in King Hezekiah’s day, who was the king in Judah.  The Assyrian empire surround Jerusalem and she looked set for destruction.  It’s a fascinating drama that unfolds and I love Yahweh’s response in this.  Now, whilst this is a recorded event in history (even from third party sources) there are lessons in this story for us today.  See what you can learn about Yahweh in this story rather than just reading it as history.

Chapters 40 – 66

Rather than break this section down (as I have probably bored you to death already), understand this second part of Isaiah to be pertaining to the Messiah, His ministry and our future.  This section is majestic.  Just keep this in mind… is Isaiah always writing in first person?  Or is he writing what he hears the Messiah say? – The truth is a mixture of the both but keep an open mind and read this part with no preconceived ideas.  You learn about the Messiah  before He came, when He came and what happens when He comes back.  Very exciting and awe-inspiring.

--------------------------

HELPFUL GUIDE

Now, when you are reading through the prophets, don’t get bored by misunderstanding them thinking “it’s all for Israel and in the past! I’m just interested in the prophecies of Messiah”.  You would be shooting yourself in the foot.  Bible prophecy works in a miraculous way in that it has multiple fulfilments.  Some of the prophecies you read in Isaiah will come to pass again. 

To understand how this works and how to perceive this, check out this helpful guide here.

------------------------

I hope this helps.

Love & Shalom

This is super helpful for me, thank you so much. It has opened up a couple more questions though, they have been briefly touched on in your great response (super helpful).

Why is it that chronologically speaking, what looks like the beginning of Isaiah’s ministry is on chapter 6? Why not chapter 1? And in general, do you know what the logic of the chapter order is? I am getting the impression that it’s might not matter too much, I want to know why it isn’t chronological and what’s the benefit of the order we have it in?

And secondly, I am struggling to understand the era that Isaiah is talking about. I have seen bits and bobs in commentaries, and in your response above, but I’m still not clear, eg in chapter 2 he talks about the mountain of the lord, I have read this is about the start of the church, but does that mean during Jesus day or more in the time of acts? But in general I’m struggling to know if Isaiah is talking about the first coming, second coming, or something else.

thanks again

45 minutes ago, Open7 said:

Why is it that chronologically speaking, what looks like the beginning of Isaiah’s ministry is on chapter 6? Why not chapter 1? And in general, do you know what the logic of the chapter order is? I am getting the impression that it’s might not matter too much, I want to know why it isn’t chronological and what’s the benefit of the order we have it in?

Shalom Open7, 

This, I don't know and I'm not sure of a theory which is reasonable, although one might exist.

I will say this though. The Jews are not stupid and Yahweh's aren't frustrated by the plans of men!  Therefore, there IS a great significance to this seemingly non-chronological layout and you do well to wonder at it. The reason may be hidden until another mystery is revealed. Like a rosetta stone of some kind, to decode the book even further... But, whatever the reason, it's highly deliberate, not accidental or laziness.  A fascinating mystery for both you and I for now! 

51 minutes ago, Open7 said:

And secondly, I am struggling to understand the era that Isaiah is talking about. I have seen bits and bobs in commentaries, and in your response above, but I’m still not clear, eg in chapter 2 he talks about the mountain of the lord, I have read this is about the start of the church, but does that mean during Jesus day or more in the time of acts? But in general I’m struggling to know if Isaiah is talking about the first coming, second coming, or something else.

Do you mean what was happening in Israel at the time? 

Concepts like the mountain of Yahweh have two meanings. Principally, it refers to Jerusalem at the time of Isaiah. Prophetically, it refers to Mount Zion (again in Jerusalem) which will be greatly exalted over all other mountains after the second coming. Now, here's the thing - prophecy is so ingeniously given by Yahweh that it applies to both times, in different ways. That should blow your mind if I have explained it right! 

This is not a short concept to explain, but I recommend reading about "colour-bleed prophecies" on this page to help you understand the book of Isaiah. For you are not only reading about the past, but the future still to come! Remember, prophecy is a pattern. When Yahweh speaks it ripples across time and each ripple is a fulfilment of that prophecy until the ultimate fulfilment - which is aagain detailed in Isaiah. 

Man, I need to read it again soon. Such an amazing book. 

• Praise God! 1

5 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom Open7, 

This, I don't know and I'm not sure of a theory which is reasonable, although one might exist.

I will say this though. The Jews are not stupid and Yahweh's aren't frustrated by the plans of men!  Therefore, there IS a great significance to this seemingly non-chronological layout and you do well to wonder at it. The reason may be hidden until another mystery is revealed. Like a rosetta stone of some kind, to decode the book even further... But, whatever the reason, it's highly deliberate, not accidental or laziness.  A fascinating mystery for both you and I for now! 

Do you mean what was happening in Israel at the time? 

Concepts like the mountain of Yahweh have two meanings. Principally, it refers to Jerusalem at the time of Isaiah. Prophetically, it refers to Mount Zion (again in Jerusalem) which will be greatly exalted over all other mountains after the second coming. Now, here's the thing - prophecy is so ingeniously given by Yahweh that it applies to both times, in different ways. That should blow your mind if I have explained it right! 

This is not a short concept to explain, but I recommend reading about "colour-bleed prophecies" on this page to help you understand the book of Isaiah. For you are not only reading about the past, but the future still to come! Remember, prophecy is a pattern. When Yahweh speaks it ripples across time and each ripple is a fulfilment of that prophecy until the ultimate fulfilment - which is aagain detailed in Isaiah. 

Man, I need to read it again soon. Such an amazing book. 

Thanks so much for your help. You have given me a lot to think about and said many things I didn’t know. I’m at a stage with the bible now where often it can be pretty difficult to get my answers from a simple google search, so this forum could be a real blessing for me. I really want to grasp Isaiah this time round

• Praise God! 1

Your welcome my friend! Keep asking and searching, always. It's the only way you learn.  I still have much to learn about Isaiah and the Word, but glad I was able to help offer a different perspective to you. 

3 minutes ago, Open7 said:

it can be pretty difficult to get my answers from a simple google search

Yeah, Google isn't all it's cracked up to be. Human interaction FTW!

4 minutes ago, Open7 said:

. I really want to grasp Isaiah this time round

Ah, spoken like a true treasure hunter!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

On 10/11/2019 at 5:03 PM, Open7 said:

This is super helpful for me, thank you so much. It has opened up a couple more questions though, they have been briefly touched on in your great response (super helpful).

thanks again

Our modern culture is pretty well obsessed with time - to the extent that we feel things must be set down in chronological order in order to be 'accurate'.

In ancient times, people just didn't think that way. The writers of the Biblical books didn't feel obliged to put everything in the order in which the events happened (this is why Jesus cleanses the Temple at the beginning of John's Gospel but at the end of the other three gospels). They often felt that other things were more important. In some of the other prophetic books (especially Jeremiah and Ezekiel) where the prophecies are dated, they are often not in date order but all jumbled up. Unfortunately, it's often far from clear to us what their reasoning was! So if you ask the question, "why is the beginning of Isaiah's ministry in chapter 6?" you may find several possible answers and none of them may actually be the 'right' one.

Personally, I think the best approach is to just accept it, and not judge ancient literature by modern standards. But it's worth looking at the context of each section (what comes before and after) to see if there might be some link between them that helps with interpretation. For instance, there are three  'Messianic' prophecies in the early chapters of Isaiah (chapters 7,9 & 11) that are probably all connected with the story of King Ahaz in chapter 7.

Thankyou Deborah, thanks for the insight. Yes I’m starting to see this as in reading it. I’m just doing a chapter a day in it and it’s been great, Iv read Isaiah several times before but always left a bit dissatisfied, this time I’m going into it trying to really nail it.While I not ever nail it, I do think I have made steps this time, mostly thanks to you guys