IGNORED

Are there any Christian metal bands that are actually good?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1993

Maybe I should have posted this under Christian music? I'm too lazy to go all the way back...

I LOVE As I Lay Dying but they are the only Christian metal band I know of that I actually like. I mean I like Holy Soldier and Jerusalem, but sometimes I just need to get in touch with emotions that only fast, heavy, intense metal can bring out. When I was into Satanism there was a wider selection of metal, but now that I have become a Christian there are fewer metal bands I'm willing to listen to. 

Any fans of hardcore music on this forum? I would love to know some of your favorite Christian metal bands. 

1 minute ago, Isaiah53NIV said:

Have you tried just doing a Google search? This would be a good way to learn more about the history of a band and also see the images associated with it....some of the images (and names of the bands) seemed pretty dark when I did a search. 

If you just want louder and faster music, there are plenty of Christian bands that make such music that glorify God, but not all of their music will be that way. Maybe Third Day? 

I am hoping other people have suggestions. 

Oh yes, I do that from time to time. Wikipedia has a great long list of "Christian" metal bands but it's pretty much impossible to get through them all in one weekend, there are just so many. And I will take a look at Third Day, thank you :) 

11 minutes ago, Isaiah53NIV said:

Search their songs: Call my Name, and Come on Back to Me

Oh my goodness. Such a beautiful message but so girly! Right up the alley of a friend though, I'll have to tell her about them. Maybe something with a little more intensity? 

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Former metalhead here as well. I eventually just got tired of metal when I was still an unbeliever. Big switch, going from black/death metal to stuff like smooth jazz. 

I've encountered this issue as well, but mainly when it came to rap. Listening to lyrics about gunning people down and bedding women isn't very good, after all. So, I just sought out instrumental versions of what I already listened to.

Sorry that I can't help in terms of Christian metal, but that's my two cents.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

You might try Kutless.  They have a couple of songs that are on the "heavy metal" side of rock / Alternative rock.  Other than that, I don't have any suggestions.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

I still can enjoy hard rock, but need variety or the tendency towards boredom happens too easily. In the mid 1970's disco hit the FM airwaves, and the battle between hard driving album oriented rock, and poppy dancy disco was on. It lasted about five years, and went out with the coming of a new decade.

The music industry was grappling at what categories were getting on the playlist, and it stumbled along carelessly. MTV came out, and no group or artist could get a hit without a video to accompany it. Pop ballads went mainstream, rap went hip hop, punk went newwave/alternative and heavy metal went spandex, lacquered hair and makeup.

Five years later, fusion mixed right in there messing up with purism. Styles come come and go, come back and go away again. Christian contemporary hasn't changed a whole lot since the 1990's. I like it, but there's not a lot of distinction with the variety there. No wonder my collection hasn't got much of anything recent. Nothing is notably new anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

6 hours ago, DustyRoad said:

Once upon a time I was metalhead. I was going places with the guitar and figured that playing in a metal band was my calling in life. Such is not the case, of course, seeing as how I haven't seriously played a guitar in twenty seven years. Long story but I left the guitar behind after I got out of the military. 

I can't stomach what I used to listen to (it's horrid) but have found a refuge in instrumental music composed by the likes of Joe Satriani. Joe gives a good report of himself: not given to extremes, married to the same wife since 1981, and keeps his nose clean and out of trouble. His music reflects this which is why I deem Joe Satriani "safe." There's purity in instrumental music. 

I can't say that I've ever felt drawn to "Christian" metal. I remember Stryper from my days in school but I have to confess that being lost at that time, I didn't like them one bit. I preferred Metallica (they were new on the scene) and was totally taken with Slayer. Seeing as how I dabbled with Satanism as a teenager none of this should come as a surprise.

That's what I'm saying, man. I used to put my headphones in as a teenager and it was Slayer, Kreator, Cannibal Corpse, countless others. But the lyrics just ruin it for me nowadays. What we need are some seriously good symphonic death metal bands and orchestral extreme metal bands that glorify the Bible. Fat chance of that though, right?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  04/18/1977

I have to give Kutless a try

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

31 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

Go ahead and laugh, but I'm more of a fan of a trio who makes people dance in the aisles!

Sounds about right. I saw Rush in 1994 to a sold-out performance. Not metal by any means, but the band were at the top of their pinnacle of their playing abilities at that point. And the crowd went for them big time. All those years of maintaining and adding to the base fandom. I tended to gravitate toward the later stuff from 1985 -1995.

By then, Geddy Lee had better command/control on his vocals, and was getting into doing more keyboards with bass peddling. A great power trio if there ever was one. The Hendrix Experience and Emerson Lake and Palmer with stage theatrics were another. Let's not forget U2, although none of these bands were ever metal. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Most of what I consider to be metal is really hard rock.  Whitecross, Bloodgood, Bride :Snakes on the Playground", REZ, X-Sinner "Get It" and King's X.  The latter is on a secular label.  Galactic Cowboys is on the same label and is harder.  Tourniquet is metal but I respect it for its classical foundation.    Did you know that Jerusalem prophesied the removal of the Berlin Wall a year before it came down?  That was on Dancing on the Head of the Serpent.  I know kids who got saved just reading the lyrics of Bloodgood's Out of the Darkness.   I like Idle Cure as well but it isn't quite as hard. Another rock favorite is Audio Adrenalin. Mastedon was pretty good.  King's X is based on a trilogy by CS Lewis, and Out of the Silent Planet is a little alternative but one of my favorites.  On the other hand another favorite is ONE BAD PIG (punk).  I weep during Isaiah 6-it really touches me. Some of it is just fun and some is hard preaching.  Another punk/alternative that is a little crazy is Breakfast with Amy.    

Blessings and I hope you fine more that you like..

• Thumbs Up 1