• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, Jayne said:

the sexual content [which is more implied with these young people] and the promoting of homosexuality, I'll give a pass. 

Are we talking about the same show?  I guess some people must see things that I don't see.:noidea:

2 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Violence intices. It titillates and it seems to grow on people like moss on a rock. As long as there's a demand for violence, it will continue to get ratings to remain on the air.  

I think some of you are missing the point of the show. The show isn't about violence for the sake of violence. The show is a mystery. The show is about a mystery. Even classic mystery stories and books had murder in them and the mystery of "who done it". Or else it would not be a mystery.  I mean I get it that it is not everyone's thing.  But no need to make it out to be something evil when all it really is is a good mystery.  Might as well toss out Sherlock Homes too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/03/1987

i dont thikn something is wrong with exposing something. 

as i watch and read things i will try to test the spirits.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

16 minutes ago, Abby-Joy said:

I don't remember the homosexual references but I only watched season 1 ...maybe some of season 2. But I admit, I fast forwarded a few places, too. 

The IMDB parent guide said the lesbian character was introduced in season 3.  

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, Jubilea said:

I'm like missmuffet in this. We do have tv because of my dh, but while he watches, I work on my computer -- armored with earphones if he is watching programs like the one featured in this thread.

When I go into a place that has television and it is a strange experience because I haven't watched it for so long. 

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

8 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I think some of you are missing the point of the show. The show isn't about violence for the sake of violence. The show is a mystery. The show is about a mystery.  

Probably. I've never seen the program. Here's the focus once again from the OP, thus my comment. 

18 hours ago, choir loft said:

I was NOT, however, pleased with the treatment of the characters - the kids. 

STRANGER THINGS 3 is replete with severe violence.  In some scenes this included torture of the children.   In other scenes it displayed extreme physical assaults against children.   

I suppose it's my fault for watching, but by the time the violence was shown (episode 6 of 8 I think) I was already into the plot development.   If someone had warned me before watching it, I wouldn't have begun the third season.

I recommend NOT watching STRANGER THINGS 3 even if you're a fan of the first two seasons.

I'm not fond of severe and extreme violence. Especially torture and assaults on children. If a mystery has to have so much emphasis on this, I'll pass, thanks all the same. 

36 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Probably. I've never seen the program. Here's the focus once again from the OP, thus my comment. 

I'm not fond of severe and extreme violence. Especially torture and assaults on children. If a mystery has to have so much emphasis on this, I'll pass, thanks all the same. 

I am really unaware of this torture on children that the OP is talking about. I watched the whole series and I do not recall  a sean where children are being torture. While there is some violence,the series is rated TV-14 after all. 

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

26 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

I am really unaware of this torture on children that the OP is talking about. I watched the whole series and I do not recall  a sean where children are being torture. While there is some violence,the series is rated TV-14 after all. 

Perhaps questioning the OPon the comments made about the program would get the responses your seeking. I've not seen it, and am only going on what was posted from that. Perhaps it was extremely over-exaggerated, but it did sound rather graphic. My comment was concerning violence and lack of interest in it only. There's no way to rate a series that hasn't been viewed, but if you recommend it, I'd be willing to tune in. My cable system is limited to 48 stations, and half a dozen are currently out for some unexplained reason. It's been frustrating to say the least.      

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

9 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

I hope it doesn't go too far off topic, but you might be interested in a movie on PureFlix called "The Watchers: Revelation." 

I think you should create a new thread with this as title.

The movie dialogue is good and the theology excellent. Every believer should watch this if they have not been exposed to The Divine Council and the Bene elohim. benei ha-elohim (lit. “sons of God”)

According to the non-biblical book of Enoch, Genesis 6 tells of angels who bring sin to humanity, causing the Flood as well as sin and disease in the present.

The Benei Elohim, the Watchers, and the Origins of Evil

The Fallen Angel, by Odilon Redon 1905

God Takes Note of Human Evil

The bulk of the flood story is told in Parashat Noah, but it begins at the end of Parashat Bereshit, in which God sees the wickedness of humanity:

בראשית ו:ה וַיַּרְא ה’ כִּי רַבָּה רָעַת הָאָדָם בָּאָרֶץ וְכָל יֵצֶר מַחְשְׁבֹת לִבּוֹ רַק רַע כָּל הַיּוֹם: 
ו:ו וַיִּנָּחֶם ה’ כִּי עָשָׂה אֶת הָאָדָם בָּאָרֶץ וַיִּתְעַצֵּב אֶל לִבּוֹ:

Gen 6:5 And the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that the inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 
6:6 And the LORD regretted that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved his heart.

The Torah doesn’t say anything specific about this wickedness, but early Jewish interpretation fills in the gaps.

The Book of the Watchers and the Origins of Evil

The earliest work addressing this issue is the Book of the Watchers (250-200 BCE), which now makes up chapters 1-36 of the book of Enoch. (For a brief description of this book, see appendix.) “Watchers” [1] is a translation of the Aramaic עירין (lit. the awake ones) found in Daniel (4: 10, 14, 20) that probably originates from the tradition that angels do not sleep.[2]The angels in question are those who appear as benei ha-elohim in Gen 6:1, in the story that immediately precedes the flood account.

בראשית ו:א וַיְהִי כִּי הֵחֵל הָאָדָם לָרֹב עַל פְּנֵי הָאֲדָמָה וּבָנוֹת יֻלְּדוּ לָהֶם:

Gen 6:1 And it was, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them,
ו:ב וַיִּרְאוּ בְנֵי הָאֱלֹהִים אֶת בְּנוֹת הָאָדָם כִּי טֹבֹת הֵנָּה וַיִּקְחוּ לָהֶם נָשִׁים מִכֹּל אֲשֶׁר בָּחָרוּ:

6:2 that the benei ha-elohim (lit. “sons of God”) saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took wives from whomever they chose.
 ו:גוַיֹּאמֶר ה’ לֹא יָדוֹן רוּחִי בָאָדָם לְעֹלָם בְּשַׁגַּם הוּא בָשָׂר וְהָיוּ יָמָיו מֵאָה וְעֶשְׂרִים שָׁנָה:

6:3 And God said: ‘My spirit shall not abide in man forever, for that he also is flesh; and his days be a hundred and twenty years.’[3]
ו:ד הַנְּפִלִים הָיוּ בָאָרֶץ בַּיָּמִים הָהֵם וְגַם אַחֲרֵי כֵן אֲשֶׁר יָבֹאוּ בְּנֵי הָאֱלֹהִים אֶל בְּנוֹת הָאָדָם וְיָלְדוּ לָהֶם הֵמָּה הַגִּבֹּרִים אֲשֶׁר מֵעוֹלָם אַנְשֵׁי הַשֵּׁם:

6:4 The nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also after that, when the benei ha’elohim came to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them; these were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown.

This puzzling passage taken on its own appears to be meant as an explanation for the existence of mythic (but mortal) heroes in the ancient world.[4]   This account gave rise to an entire cycle of stories regarding these angels and their sinful behavior, such as being the progenitors of the giant nephilim, mentioned here and in Numbers 13:33.[5]

https://www.thetorah.com/article/the-benei-elohim-the-watchers-and-the-origins-of-evil

Edited by Justin Adams

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  2

12 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

I don't remember the homosexual references but I only watched season 1 ...maybe some of season 2. But I admit, I fast forwarded a few places, too. 

A lesbian is introduced in season 3, but she only references it.  All 3 seasons have violence.