• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Mark 7:13 (AV)
13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

We are warned in the three major divisions of scripture NOT to add to or take away from the Word / Commands of God:

The LAW:

Deuteronomy 4:2 (AV)
2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32 (AV)
32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

The WRITINGS:

Proverbs 30:5–6 (AV)
5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

The PROPHETS:

Revelation 22:18–19 (AV)
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Yet so much of what we are taught is according to the traditions of men. 

For one thing, this is how and why cults can easily cast doubts on these traditions and lead many astray. 

The Great Commission is that of the Lord Jesus Christ.

523793825_GreatCommission.png.960a1dca6d9af5744a3dd767e3f12746.png

This is the believer's commission (and the charter of the Church):

Matthew 28:18–20 (AV)
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Acts 1:8 (AV)
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:

and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Edited by JohnD
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

We are called on by God to share the good news. God wants us to tell the true literal word of God to the world. No false doctrine. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Sure, we have to start by believing in God's son Jesus. But spreading the good news of Jesus is what we need to do once we are able.

3 hours ago, Betha said:

Jesus Himself....in whose footsteps we should follow  never taught or observed what  Gentile Christians are doing.....so where has it all come from ? We need to be much more discerning as to the original introduction of Beliefs UNgodly men brought in, because these false traditions started all long ago.

You made some good points. One disturbing fact is the early church fathers, Augustine, Clement, Ignatius and others were all, or mostly all, Pagan believers before they became Christian. Don't confuse the Apostolic father with the church fathers. But I think the pagan background is how some non Biblical ideas got into Christianity. I agree this is 1 reason spreading the gospel is so hard. And this is something we need to be concerned about and address. But we aren't and I ask why not.

One answer is another reason spreading the gospel is hard. I was recently mocked on because I belong to a religion with some 20,000 denominations who constantly fight with each other. How do we spread the gospel to other people who know we can't even agree with each other. I think we all forget that while you must be a member of Worthy to post here anyone can read here. It seems almost every week another petty argument breaks out. This is not good, brothers & sisters.

We are our own worst enemy. Thank you Betha for giving me a chance to bring this up. We all love to speculate on when will Jesus return; we all also want it to be soon. But Jesus said the gospel has to spread into the entire world for the end to come. I think that means not only must the gospel be preached to all the world but also Jesus must be accepted by a majority in every nation of the world.

We need to work on this problem.

1 hour ago, Betha said:

Can somebody tell me who is the Head of this earthly christian religion ? is it the POPE ? ALL churches have certainly followed the Dictat of the Roman Catholic Church who brought in SUN day worship, for which there is no GODLY Instruction and has led Christian Gentiles down the wrong Path away from the God of Israel....whose Holy day is the Sabbath  7th Day and Jesus is LORD of.

Why are Christians settling for such blatant misleading teaching ? Is it time to take a stand and fight on the side of the returning Christ our TRUE SAVIOUR ?

Well, Christianity is not the same as Catholicism. To make it more confusing, Catholicism is broken into Roman Catholicism who's head is currently pope Francis and Eastern Orthodox Catholicism who, I think, have their own pope, I think (not sure). Christianity has no head. There are thousands of denominations who need to stop picking on each other, as I already said. Catholics claim to be Christians and worship the same Most High God we do but additionally they worship Mary and more saints than I can name. They also kneel down in front of statues to pray to who the statue represents; but it's common to hear them refer to the statue as her or him. Christians don't do that. Most Catholics have no idea they are doing things against the Bible because questions are discouraged. Even if a person finds out the clergy says a Bishop or a Pope made it okay and to Catholics, the words of their high-up clergy men are equal to the Bible. We disagree.

I'm not sure how Sunday worship got started, or when. It may have been in the 1st century AD to separate those who accepted Jesus as Son of God (many of whom were Jews. That is important), from the Jews who refused to acknowledged Jesus as Son and the Messiah, that is the Christ.  If this is the reason it's not so bad. However, if it's because the early fathers were pagans and it was a pagan custom, that's not so good. But the worst reason might be when The Emperor Constantinople made Christianity the legal religion of the Roman Empire. Many, if not most, people refused to give up their pagan gods and customs so Constantinople adopted some and called them Christian. I've even heard that Constantinople himself missed some of the pagan customs. So yes, it was a mess. We have inherited some of that mess. Incidentally, the Seventh Day Adventist denomination worships on Saturday. The problem is they do that because 1 of their original leaders told them to. However, it illustrates that no single denomination is doing everything correctly. 

Since Paul said not to be troubled over which day we do this or that, plus adhering strictly to Saturday worship is so much like keeping the old ceremonial laws, perhaps it doesn't matter. If it were up to me, I'd do church on Saturday. It is not up to me.

Sadly, that is only 1 thing we argue about. Other issues are more important. I'd rather not mention them because the usual result is the thread gets closed and maybe deleted. 

2 hours ago, Betha said:

Can somebody tell me who is the Head of this earthly christian religion ? is it the POPE ? ALL churches have certainly followed the Dictat of the Roman Catholic Church who brought in SUN day worship, for which there is no GODLY Instruction and has led Christian Gentiles down the wrong Path away from the God of Israel....whose Holy day is the Sabbath  7th Day and Jesus is LORD of.

Why are Christians settling for such blatant misleading teaching ? Is it time to take a stand and fight on the side of the returning Christ our TRUE SAVIOUR ?

Yup

The late Dr J. Vernon McGee once said that the day that Roman Emperor Constantine legalized Christianity in the Roman Empire was the day the devil joined the Church. 

Rather than having a born again experience as tradition alleges, he more than likely saw in burgeoning Christianity a cohesiveness his crumbling Empire sorely lacked. 

It became necessary for it to have a second capital (aptly named Constantinople).

He provided the legality and in the eventual Roman version of Christianity becoming the religion of State.

His mother Helena set out to pin point religious land marks for this version of Christianity... the site of Mount Sinai

and that of the crucifixion and garden tomb (to name a couple). Both of which were inaccurate.

Both Constantine and Helena laid the ground work for what eventually became the Roman Catholic Church.

The Empire never fell. It morphed into a religion before the empty snake shell of Rome was crushed.