Sign in to follow this  
Tia Paul-Louis

Demonic person singing to God?

Question

Are people with unclean spirits or people who are demon-possessed able to sing hymns? For instance, I know someone who practices unbiblical rituals (things that resemble witchcraft) but I hear this person often singing hymns and praying to God, and I don't understand how this works.

9 answers to this question

2 Corinthians 11:14 English Standard Version (ESV)

14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.3

2They were astonished at His teaching, because His message had authority. 33In the synagogue there was a man possessed by the spirit of an unclean demon. He cried out in a loud voice, 34“Ha! What do You want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have You come to destroy us? I know who You are—the Holy One of God!”… Luke

This person in the synagogue may have been saying prayers and singing.  It does not say though but to me it seems implied that he was there like everyone else.  

Pray for this person for this person needs repentance and the Lord no matter what.  Witness to this person also this person needs to hear the gospel.

Anyone, Christian, nonchristian, pagan, hindu, wicca follower etc etc etc can sing hymns etc and pray to God.

The important question is how does God react to worship which does not come from a spirit that has submitted to Jesus.

Ever seen a sheep react to a strang lamb? They reject it vigerously. How do you think God reacts to unholy insincere worship?

30 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

A good test is to see if someone can say, "Jesus is Lord!"

1 Corinthians 12:3

I personally don't believe this verse is intended to provide a litmus test to find whether a person is believer or not. I don't want to derail this thread, but I don't think we should assess a person based on whether they can verbally proclaim "Jesus is Lord". We have to look at this verse with rest of the Bible and events to understand the true meaning

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Billiards Ball said:

I didn't say "believer test". It's a VERY handy demon-possession test. I've used it in the field.

Next time you come into an encounter of this sort, ask if Jesus has come in the flesh, and wait for the response. It might surprise you. Expect a manifestation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Tia Paul-Louis said:

Are people with unclean spirits or people who are demon-possessed able to sing hymns? For instance, I know someone who practices unbiblical rituals (things that resemble witchcraft) but I hear this person often singing hymns and praying to God, and I don't understand how this works.

Shalom Tia,

Well, it sounds like you have provided the answer yourself. :)

There are a lot of hymns and even modern worship music which is ambiguous in nature.   Some sing to "God" and "Christ" which are in no wise specific and could easily apply in the mind of the singer of whoever they want.  Not so with the Psalms in their original language.  The Name of Yahweh was proclaimed throughout the Psalms in Hebrew and would have been sung likewise by the Messiah.  It's hard to be ambiguous when you use this Name, and it's unlikely a demon possessed person could ever do such a thing.  However,  songs with ambiguous titles or in which the worshipper themselves is the major focus of song (i.e. I bow down... Hold me close... give to me... I do this... I do that..), I can see no reason why a demon could not sing such a thing in mockery.

But let's suppose someone (who isn't possessed) is involved with witchcraft and IS using specifics in Hymns and songs - for example, singing in the name of Jesus Christ, what then?   It's possible they are foolish and ignorant of their witchcraft - explain the matter to them, if you are able to.   Or it's possible they think both are compatible. Again, share with them if you can.   

In summary: No worship song, especially when non-specific, is an indication of salvation or discipleship.  A song can mean much in the mouth of disciple, but the song doesn't MAKE you a disciple. 

Perhaps pray to the Father as to whether He would have you approach this person about their witchcraft like rituals.  

Love & Shalom

• Brilliant! 1

19 hours ago, Tia Paul-Louis said:

Are people with unclean spirits or people who are demon-possessed able to sing hymns?

A very interesting question. Here are some passages you might find enlightening. 

James 2:19 19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.  KJV

Matthew 8:29 29And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?  KJV

Mark 3:11 11And unclean spirits, when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried, saying, Thou art the Son of God.  KJV

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, Tia Paul-Louis said:

A good test is to see if someone can say, "Jesus is Lord!"

1 Corinthians 12:3

On 10/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, Tia Paul-Louis said:

I believe it is possible. There is an event in Acts chapter 16. If you look at the underlined portion, what she was saying is absolute truth! She did not say these are servants of one of the gods (small g). She is saying they are servants of Most High God (Yahweh). And the good news they are proclaiming is the  (emphasis) way to be saved and not one of the ways. And this is coming from a female slave possessed by an evil spirit. So it is true that demon possessed can acknowledge God and speak truth. Does not mean anything in terms of their relationship with Lord.

16 Once when we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a female slave who had a spirit by which she predicted the future. She earned a great deal of money for her owners by fortune-telling. 17 She followed Paul and the rest of us, shouting, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who are telling you the way to be saved.” 18 She kept this up for many days. Finally Paul became so annoyed that he turned around and said to the spirit, “In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to come out of her!” At that moment the spirit left her.

• This is Worthy 1

5 minutes ago, ravindran said:

I personally don't believe this verse is intended to provide a litmus test to find whether a person is believer or not. I don't want to derail this thread, but I don't think we should assess a person based on whether they can verbally proclaim "Jesus is Lord". We have to look at this verse with rest of the Bible and events to understand the true meaning

I didn't say "believer test". It's a VERY handy demon-possession test. I've used it in the field.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this