Caregiving a cancer patient

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,271
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  1

My sister has cancer and will be having 5 weeks of chemo and radiation.  She is also the caregiver for my father who has Alzheimers.  I will be caregiving them both.  I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me to help my sister be as comfortable as possible during this difficult time?  Prayers for me would be greatly appreciated.

• Praying! 5

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Blue Lulu,

I helped my sister through her breast cancer chemo. She is a Christian who tried to understand why God was allowing this in her life. She tried to have a very positive attitude but in the end what she needed most from me was to just listen to her. She went through many differing emotions ups & downs depending on what she was feeling dayt0day.  Like Ayin mentioned, even the joy of eating was taken from her. Her food had a metallic taste and nothing nothing tasted good. You would think she would loss weight since she didn't eat much, but she gained weight from medications!  Reading the bible, focusing on certain verses, being surrounded by family members and music seemed to help. You know your sister best. Go by your instincts and just be patients to her needs and requests.

I helped take care of my mother-in-law for almost 3 years who had Alzheimers. Honestly, it was difficult to care for her. She was mean and stubborn. I don't know all the details having to do with your father but again, just be patient.  Anything he may say if it's not nice, don't take it personally. It's the progression of the disease. I will pray for you, your sister and father for guidance, strength, healing and much love upon you all.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,382
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Rough situation there. If at all possible don't do it alone. Having been on call 24/7 for a prolonged period of time I can say it's an extreme drain. Additionally my mother did some home health care for people who needed daily care. It was standard practice for them to have two or more caregivers on the same patient where one would work so many days a week and the other(s) would work the rest. With regards to the Alzheimers, my experience is that people with dementia range all the way from being super sweet to being utter nightmares. A lot of patience and self control is needed if you get the latter. Even if you get the former don't be surprised if they have outbursts here and there. It's just the nature of the disease and the sort of stress it puts on them. Once dementia hits a certain point they often end up living in a world that's different from the one we're in. It's important to keep that in mind.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

Given how many I know on this forum who are dealing with cancer themselves, or as a caretaker or even just a friend of someone with cancer, I have started a club for cancer. 

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/clubs/36-triumph-over-cancer/

• 8 months later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 10/14/2019 at 1:04 AM, Blue Lulu said:

My sister has cancer and will be having 5 weeks of chemo and radiation.  She is also the caregiver for my father who has Alzheimers.  I will be caregiving them both.  I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me to help my sister be as comfortable as possible during this difficult time?  Prayers for me would be greatly appreciated.

Just do your best and have their best interests at heart. Good luck.