Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,017
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Because of the high rents in Los Angeles and some other cities, people are now sharing communal living spaces.   One company charges $1000 for a bed, and another charges $1200, again only for a bed.    The showers, etc, are all shared.   WiFi is included.   Some food items like cereal are included.

I saw this on TV, and only a small, locked box area in the wall by your bed is provided for personal items.

I think this is only good for young people that don't own much stuff.   Of course, it is better than becoming homeless.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

It is harsh for anyone at any age. But it is also a reality for some, and many more to come that do not stay sober and get educated on how to handle their own finances. Even then  it is hard to avoid suffering great loss along the way.

I have been made far more aware of the conditions of the past through census bureau reports while tracking family ancestry. The row houses of the factories come to light with the number of people jammed into each dwelling in those census reports.

Plus for over  forty years now at least; the dwellings along the Harbor Freeway at Los Angeles have been filled with individuals, up to seventeen to a flat. They sleep in shifts" hot sheeting" while further inland people are pooling three to four income sources to make the mortgage or rent payment.

There is a sense of I think defeatism today where many  then decide they want nothing of prosperity and home ownership and  try  opting out  in tiny house structures. But really on a per square foot basis it is about the most expensive housing one can buy.

Used ship containers  is the one I have had some interest in for building" apartments" for lease or sale. Not bad and not horribly expensive to outfit into some interesting configurations.

At California  I think it is going to get far worse, for now apartment building owners must raise their rents each years the newly allowed 5% per year maximum increase, just to make sure they don't fall too far behind in any year of greater cost increase because they can't go over five percent. No owner is going to do nearly as much maintenance on the structures, they won't be able to risk spending to do so. The new construction will decline greatly and the demand for any unit for rent will go up.  

All a harsh reality, that is going to put far more people on the streets, alleys, parks, and  well just everywhere there is space to lay down. The sanitation issue  is going to cause spread of serious disease. California high tech as thinks it is is  is headed for an awfully harsh near future.

Many a hard working person that has bought a four plex at California  for their retirement years income will be stuck with owning  part of a ghetto to come that is hard to sell if needed to be sold.

It is going to get even nastier  there. It already takes three to four income sources for most workers to pay their mortgage or rent. How many more resources can people develop just to pay for a place to live?  Exodus  of a sort is already underway both for businesses and for individuals. Thing is the same people that have been voting in the communist minded at California to rule over them will vote for them wherever they move to. They will never learn and change their ways it seems. They just keep asking for and demanding more control over others and more benefits for themselves.

In the meantime the old seem to end up getting squeezed  perhaps the hardest even though there is less to squeeze out. It is going to take a major change in family living units to overcome that. Back to a time of three to four generations in the same home instead of the young fleeing home to be on their own. It is made fun of right now, called a failure to launch, but it is the wave that is coming on  today. I think that maybe a good thing overall. Families together.

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,017
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

It seemed from what I saw on TV and what I read in an article was that it's actually well employed individuals that are renting the beds.  Maybe they can save while they are young living there.

Here's one company...

http://podshare.com/

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

4 hours ago, Debp said:

Because of the high rents in Los Angeles and some other cities, people are now sharing communal living spaces.   One company charges $1000 for a bed, and another charges $1200, again only for a bed.    The showers, etc, are all shared.   WiFi is included.   Some food items like cereal are included.

I saw this on TV, and only a small, locked box area in the wall by your bed is provided for personal items.

I think this is only good for young people that don't own much stuff.   Of course, it is better than becoming homeless.

If there were more apartments available, rent would come down, I would think. Rent is high here in the Reno area, also.

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.77
  • Days Won:  21

6 hours ago, Debp said:

Wow, I thought rent was high where I am, but I pay that amount for a large 1 bedroom apartment. I don't know how I'd feel about living in a situation like that - maybe 10 years ago it would've been okay. I'm an old bird now who likes her privacy and space. 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,073
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

$1,200 could get you a bus ticket to just about anywhere.   LoL

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, Debp said:

It is the greed in the hearts of those on this earth. It will get much worse during the 7 year tribulation. 

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,703
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Join the military. Then you get the same living conditions, but for free. You even get an angry Sargent yelling at you at all hours of the day/night as a bonus. And if your really good they even let you shoot guns!

• Haha 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1977

Growing up, I wish I had this as an option for my friends, who  have had a tough life and at times no places to live.