• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  537
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,648
  • Content Per Day:  5.01
  • Days Won:  217
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

The reason for the signs is normally two fold  one gf foods are about 3 times the price of " normal " food  and second if you handle the "normal " food then pick up the gf food ou can cause cross contamination and even a tiny amount can cause severe problems for people with coeliac disease ...mind you it can also be because we don't want you knowing how bad our taste buds are after years of eating it :24: 

• Haha 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, So much for greeting a gluten intolerant saint with a holy kiss eh?  What with cross contamination and all, why not even hearty handshake.

Cross contamination, ??? Just how far away from the gluten foods must the non gluten ones be placed at the church dinners?  Sure hope I did it right all those years of setting up the food serving tables for the  deaconesses. How far does the gluten hop on a table from plate to plate?  I don't remember any of that being part of the County health department food  handling training courses at all.

The only thing that truly bothered me at Lord's Supper came about when  I noticed that  the deaconesses were pouring the unused grape juice from the unserved cups back into the open bottle of Welsh's and putting it in the fridge to use next time. That and the unserved broken wafers into plastic grocery bags and placing them in the freezer for next time. We had a go round on that one, finally resolved by some deaconesses taking county health department restaurant food preparing courses in sanitation.  For awhile, until they changed how they tried to save money, I just started throwing out all open containers.

More than anything I had fear of meet and greet hugs and handshakes and hellos at the opening of worship. I called it spread a germ of fellowship time.

Never heard of anyone so gluten intolerant that they would suffer harm from even being near food that is not gluten free. Learn something new all the time.

Do the non gluten  foods get cross contaminated at the grocers  by having to travel down the checkout coneyor belt? For that matter are the gluten foods contaminated by being near the non-gluten stuff? I kinda need my gluten, I think. Will hate to suffer from lack of it because some of it hopped onto a non gluten plate and was lost to me.

Maybe separate places of worship are needed for ... well no, probably not. So glad I am insensitive. :whistling:

• Haha 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/16/2019 at 6:06 AM, sweetbear said:

My questions are how do others that can't eat gluten deal with communion for a church and other church events, like morning tea and church lunches?

We have just started looking for a new church and dont really know how others deal with  explaining the whole cross containmation thing?

would love some ideas of how to bring it up and tips on what others do in these situations? 

and 

How do others deal with family members and friends that dont understand your needs and will think you crazy and off with the pixies even though you have to be gluten free for health reasons?

I have family ( inlaws)  in the past that are not very understanding of my diet and keep offereing gluten foods. 

(I am gluten intolerant and have been for the last 4 years and just had my youngest child who is 11 years old  diagnosed with celiac disease, my mother also has celiac dissease) 

I am in desperate need of prayer and advice on these things, As I don't want to come acoss as being over the top or rude with dealing with it. 

If you're in a Roman church, "Our way or the highway", what does that tell you?

If you're in almost any other church, you can bring matzo or gluten-free bread with you, as a substitute. "Breaking bread" in the scriptures isn't a communion service, it's a meal, and at a fellowship meal no one had to eat anything abhorrent (Romans 14).

Communion cannot save anyone. Only Jesus can save anyone, trust in His death and resurrection, trust in His sin atonement, trust HIM only for eternal life!

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Maybe separate places of worship are needed for ... well no, probably not. So glad I am insensitive. :whistling:

We love you even if you are insensitive :24:   Cross contamination can come from as little as cooking gf food in a fryer that has previously been used to cook non gf food and buffet type meals are notorious for naughtiness with people picking up food and putting it back down and not normally where it should be put :foot-stomp:  I enjoy laughing with people but believe me it is no joke when you are in pain or even dehydrated as you literally cant keep anything down for days after an accidental contamination It may not be as dramatic as anaphylactic shock but the pain and the danger is as great :fryingpan: < not guaranteed to be gluten free frying pan   ( look at some of the  food labels that will tell you that some foods are made in a factory that handles gluten/wheat/nuts etc to see how serious it actually  is ) :emot-hug:

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 10/16/2019 at 3:06 AM, sweetbear said:

My questions are how do others that can't eat gluten deal with communion for a church and other church events, like morning tea and church lunches?

We have just started looking for a new church and dont really know how others deal with  explaining the whole cross containmation thing?

would love some ideas of how to bring it up and tips on what others do in these situations? 

and 

How do others deal with family members and friends that dont understand your needs and will think you crazy and off with the pixies even though you have to be gluten free for health reasons?

I have family ( inlaws)  in the past that are not very understanding of my diet and keep offereing gluten foods. 

(I am gluten intolerant and have been for the last 4 years and just had my youngest child who is 11 years old  diagnosed with celiac disease, my mother also has celiac dissease) 

I am in desperate need of prayer and advice on these things, As I don't want to come acoss as being over the top or rude with dealing with it. 

You don't have to apologize for needing a gluten-free diet. As for relatives, if they are trying to force food with gluten on you, they aren't very nice people. On the other hand, if they simply forget, then forgive them.

As for church, you might want to pick a church that doesn't have Communion every Sunday. Either way, there is no shame in skipping Communion, and if it bothers you, just skip church when you know they are having Communion. Stay home and watch a sermon on TV. Some churches might even accommodate you by giving you gluten-free bread for Communion.

As for church social events, bring along food that is gluten-free so you have something to eat. Let people know that you need gluten-free food - they also might try to accommodate you.

1 hour ago, ladypeartree said:

We love you even if you are insensitive :24:   Cross contamination can come from as little as cooking gf food in a fryer that has previously been used to cook non gf food and buffet type meals are notorious for naughtiness with people picking up food and putting it back down and not normally where it should be put :foot-stomp:  I enjoy laughing with people but believe me it is no joke when you are in pain or even dehydrated as you literally cant keep anything down for days after an accidental contamination It may not be as dramatic as anaphylactic shock but the pain and the danger is as great :fryingpan: < not guaranteed to be gluten free frying pan   ( look at some of the  food labels that will tell you that some foods are made in a factory that handles gluten/wheat/nuts etc to see how serious it actually  is ) :emot-hug:

Where is this information available? A debilitating response to gluten eh? I will certainly take your word for it! But I haven't seen anything like that, just people deciding hey I am gluten sensitive, almost as a fashion statement or a fad dietary thing. Perhaps that hurts the recognition of someone with a true need. I just have to date never seen anyone drop to the ground from eating gluten containing food.  Some medical publication review information  might be most helpful.

The only "food" labels that I ever really read were those that said the proof. Now I don't partake anyway, haven't for years, decades even.

Kind of wish maybe those river mussels had had a label on them. They were down river of the naval housing sewer treatment plant. I never connected the dots at the time.

Now I am wondering though is spelt gluten free? What of the Ezekiel breads? The only food allergy I may have  is to some shellfish, so I avoid swallowing the shells. Those at the hospital emergency room thought that the crabs I ate might have been be the issue when my lung blew out and my neck ballooned and my blood pressure skyrocketed. all a fun time at the ER.

But gluten, hmm-  Okay. And let's just nod very politely at worship service and not shake hands.

AS I said    It may not be as dramatic as anaphylactic shock but the pain and the danger is as great    Some people can be diagnosed with a blood test others need a surgical diagnosis ( my sister found out she had it after losing two babies and being incorrectly diagnosed as having stomach cancer !! )   I do try to find humour in responses but PLEASE remember this is a DISEASE and if you have ever needed to stay in hospital as your body cant hold even liquids down after a particularly nasty attack you may not find it so humorous and my answer was in response to someone needing HELP not more ridicule . YES it was " fashionable " not so long ago to go onto gluten free diets … not my doing believe me as here I can buy a loaf of bread for about 39p but a gluten free loaf of half the size is around £2  so not something to be done for fashion or fun but real necessity

If you want to make fun of this please feel free to do so  whilst those that are trying to help do our best to ignore the hurt  :emot-hug:

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

It is too bad that Churches can not offer a gluten free bread. Many offer real wine and grape juice for those who can not have alcohol. 

• 8 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 10/16/2019 at 11:06 AM, sweetbear said:

Good question, most churches do not have gluten free meals bread, etc you might have to skip it. You could tell the pastor your concerns and see what he says about the matter. It might be better to treat everyone gluten free, when doing communion. 

I think churches do exceptional care when dealing with contamination. It depends because some may not. Take care yourself and do what you need to do to stay safe. Take safety measures.