• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,158
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

Sanctification

Many believers of late are of the notion that “sanctification” is a process involving the completion of one’s salvation, and that one cannot know for certain when, or even if one is or will be saved until this sanctification process is complete! Be encouraged, dearly beloved in Christ to know that at the moment one is brought to faith in Christ, all within is complete and entire concerning “all things that pertain to life and godliness” (2Pe 1:3), which most importantly includes—redemption within salvation!

As one cannot grow into “being holy” (either one is are isn’t), so also one does not grow into being sanctified, nor is it ever descriptively used in Scripture to denote a process. It’s not as though one can do anything to be sanctified (which comes only by the Spirit at rebirth - 1Co 6:11; 2Th 2:13; 1Pe 1:2), it must be imputed, which is the same for all the attributes of God (except salvation, which is imparted and not imputed). Any concept that tends to attribute works towards producing or retaining redemption (usually inadvertently) detracts from attributing glory to God. Works are the fruit of godliness, and not the source of godliness, which is solely of God; and the most prevalent trademark of doctrinal-error within Christianity is works-attribution towards the apprehension and retention of godliness, which detracts testimony from unlearned believers.

I believe that the sole provision in spiritual growth of one’s faith of Christianity (faith is the only godly attribute which grows, and in strength of quality not quantity, as all else is complete) lies within that which concerns its completeness and permanency (because they are the derivatives of all growth truths); and one’s testimony of love to others and the endurance of trials will be manifested in accordance to the level of the understanding and application of these two Biblical truths.

With the most important growth truths comes also the most difficulties (of course) concerning their understanding and application, which answers to why there is not only a waning in many Christians spiritual growth, but also in the number of many long time Church attendees (within the last couple generations).

NC

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Concerning "sanctified," my purpose for the article was to show that it is irrelevant as reference to effecting (producing) salvation, because it is fully imputed at rebirth, same for holiness, righteousness, and justification (all of which only manifests faith and salvation, not produces nor retains faith and salvation).

What Christians believe in accordance to they're present understanding on any issue is acceptable, because we assume that what we presently believe is true, and if it isn't God will eventually give us the correct understanding (unless you're not seeking truth, which this is the only way to find it -  Mat 7:7; Luk 11:9); and of course it stands to reason that if we seek Scriptural support for our beliefs we will receive understanding the soonest.

This is a list of all the NT references using "sanctified," and note that they are in the present tense, or directs to the present tense:

Jhn 10:36

Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Jhn 17:19

And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

Act 20:32

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

Act 26:18

To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Rom 15:16

That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.

1Co 1:2

Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours.

1Co 6:11

And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

1Co 7:14

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

1Ti 4:5

For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

2Ti 2:21

If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Heb 2:11

For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren.

Heb 10:10

By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Heb 10:14

For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Heb 10:29

Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Jde 1:1

Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

There is always space to grow in our faith, don't you agree?  It's not like one day we were lost, then after accepting Christ as our Savior, we all of a sudden became mature believers.  Otherwise, why is there so much instruction in scripture?  Take Peters second letter, where he gives instructions in how to become fruitful and knowledgeable in CHrist?

2 Peter 2:1-11

Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ,

To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.  For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

If I misunderstood your reasoning, please correct me so I may know what you mean.

2 hours ago, OneLight said:

There is always space to grow in our faith, don't you agree?  It's not like one day we were lost, then after accepting Christ as our Savior, we all of a sudden became mature believers.  Otherwise, why is there so much instruction in scripture?  Take Peters second letter, where he gives instructions in how to become fruitful and knowledgeable in CHrist?

2 Peter 2:1-11

Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ,

To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.  For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

If I misunderstood your reasoning, please correct me so I may know what you mean.

In my opinion it appears we have the same understanding, as I've stated that faith is the only godly attribute which grows (and that in quality, not quantity, as only a need a mustard-seed size). It's my understanding that the list in 2Pe 1:5-7 are seen as fruit of faith, which are with faith and can be appropriated as we increase in our understanding of faith in this list of fruit. Faith is the first principle of grace, and it's growth is manifested by the accompanying fruit (works) as we are taught by the Spirit in His Word, and faith is always the base as it supports everything after grace.

I believe learning to walk in godly attributes and their works (fruit) deepens our understanding and fellowship with God, but never has effect as to our union with Him in salvation. It's also my opinion that those who profess faith and have no desire to live in these fruits may not have been reborn (still unsaved); which also will show as they maintain a departure of their profession and its lifestyle (walk).

• Loved it! 1

@WordSword - I believe we do have like understanding about 2 Peter 2:1-11 as well.  I see them as growth steps as one builds upon the previous one, where the foundation is in Christ Jesus and the faith we were given in Him.

Yet, I am not sure I agree completely with your understanding of being sanctified.  We are sanctified by the Holy Spirit, this I agree, but how is it that our unbelieving spouse is sanctified by our faith (! Corinthians 7:14)?  Does this mean the same thing?  If the Holy Spirit brings sanctification, how is this done in an unbeliever? 

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

@WordSword - I believe we do have like understanding about 2 Peter 2:1-11 as well.  I see them as growth steps as one builds upon the previous one, where the foundation is in Christ Jesus and the faith we were given in Him.

I think you mean 2Pe 1. I would say we are founded in Christ "through faith," thus faith being first established for salvation (grace's first gift is faith, which means of transmission for salvation, without which can be no salvation), and it being the means of appropriating grace cannot be altered in its essence but only in its strength, which is done by walking in the accompanying fruit. Faith holds a greater place than the list of fruit it produces, for without it there is no fruit. I also believe faith can never be lessened, only increased, which is what it can ever do in the saved. We do not bring faith along, but faith brings us along!

2 hours ago, OneLight said:

Yet, I am not sure I agree completely with your understanding of being sanctified.  We are sanctified by the Holy Spirit, this I agree, but how is it that our unbelieving spouse is sanctified by our faith (! Corinthians 7:14)?  Does this mean the same thing?  If the Holy Spirit brings sanctification, how is this done in an unbeliever? 

There is the sanctity of marriage which is not related to salvation, and is God's first institution established with man beginning with Adam and Eve (Gen 2:24). To me, the sense of (1Co 7:14) is that the two are set apart from all but one another when it comes to the institution of marriage.

• Loved it! 1

Thank you for the correction, it was 2 Peter 1 I was referring to.

As for 1 Corinthians 7:14, I understand that, through marriage, they become one, yet, does this oneness also include the unbeliever to be seen as the believer when it comes to salvation?  If not, what type of sanctification is Paul talking about?

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

Thank you for the correction, it was 2 Peter 1 I was referring to.

As for 1 Corinthians 7:14, I understand that, through marriage, they become one, yet, does this oneness also include the unbeliever to be seen as the believer when it comes to salvation?  If not, what type of sanctification is Paul talking about?

Sanctified, not spiritually but physically set apart unto one another and nobody else. One spouse, one marriage.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,269
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

On 10/16/2019 at 11:49 AM, WordSword said:

Works are the fruit of godliness, and not the source of godliness, which is solely of God; and the most prevalent trademark of doctrinal-error within Christianity is works-attribution towards the apprehension and retention of godliness, which detracts testimony from unlearned believers.

Thanks for this post.   The above says it so well....works are the fruit of godliness, not the source of godliness.   And it is of God.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,038
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

PSALM 50:7 hear o MY people and I will speak o israel and I will testify against thee ---I AM GOD EVEN THY GOD---

1 JOHN 2:27 but the anointing which you have received of HIM abideth in you and you need not that ---ANY MAN TEACH YOU---but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things and is truth and is no lie and even as it hath taught you ---YOU SHALL ABIDE IN HIM---

JOHN 10:27 MY SHEEP hear MY voice and I know them and they follow ME 

ROMANS 10:17 so then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by ---BY THE WORD OF GOD---

*******LUKE 14:28 for which of you intending to build a tower sitteth not down first and counteth the cost ---whether he hath sufficient to finish it --14:29-- lest haply after he hath laid the foundation and is not able to finish it all that behold it begin to mock him --14:30-- saying this man began to build and was not able to finish *******

COLOSSIANS 1:20 and having made peace through the blood of HIS cross by HIM to reconcile all things unto himself by HIM I say whether they be things in earth or things in heaven --1:21-- and you that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works yet now hath HE reconciled --1:22-- in the body of HIS flesh through death to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight --1:23---IF YOU CONTINUE--- in the faith grounded and settled and be not moved away ---FROM THE HOPE OF THE GOSPEL--- which you have heard and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven whereof I paul am made a minister 

ROMANS 2:6 who will render to every man ---ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS--- 2:7 ---to them who by ---PATIENT CONTINUANCE IN WELL DOING--- seek for glory and honor and immortality eternal life --2:8--but unto them that are contentious and do not obey the truth but obey unrighteousness --- INDIGNATION AND WRATH---

EPHESIANS 5:25 husbands love your wives ---EVEN AS CHRIST LOVED THE CHURCH---and gave himself for it --5:26--that HE might ---SANCTIFY AND CLEANSE IT--- with the washing of water ---BY THE WORD---

MATTHEW 10:22 AND YOU SHALL BE HATED OF ALL MEN FOR MY NAMES SAKE BUT HE THAT ENDURETH TO THE END ---SHALL BE SAVED---

JOHN 17:17 SANCTIFY THEM THROUGH THY TRUTH THY WORD IS TRUTH 

1 TIMOTHY take heed unto thyself and unto the doctrine ---CONTINUE IN THEM---for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself --- AND THEM THAT HEAR THEE

LOVING THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AND --HIS SAINTS--