• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  166
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,159
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Debp said:

Thanks for this post.   The above says it so well....works are the fruit of godliness, not the source of godliness.   And it is of God.

Hi, and always thankful for your supportive replies!

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  319
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, WordSword said:

Sanctification

Many believers of late are of the notion that “sanctification” is a process involving the completion of one’s salvation, and that one cannot know for certain when, or even if one is or will be saved until this sanctification process is complete! Be encouraged, dearly beloved in Christ to know that at the moment one is brought to faith in Christ, all within is complete and entire concerning “all things that pertain to life and godliness” (2Pe 1:3), which most importantly includes—redemption within salvation!

As one cannot grow into “being holy” (either one is are isn’t), so also one does not grow into being sanctified, nor is it ever descriptively used in Scripture to denote a process. It’s not as though one can do anything to be sanctified (which comes only by the Spirit at rebirth - 1Co 6:11; 2Th 2:13; 1Pe 1:2), it must be imputed, which is the same for all the attributes of God (except salvation, which is imparted and not imputed). Any concept that tends to attribute works towards producing or retaining redemption (usually inadvertently) detracts from attributing glory to God. Works are the fruit of godliness, and not the source of godliness, which is solely of God; and the most prevalent trademark of doctrinal-error within Christianity is works-attribution towards the apprehension and retention of godliness, which detracts testimony from unlearned believers.

I believe that the sole provision in spiritual growth of one’s faith of Christianity (faith is the only godly attribute which grows, and in strength of quality not quantity, as all else is complete) lies within that which concerns its completeness and permanency (because they are the derivatives of all growth truths); and one’s testimony of love to others and the endurance of trials will be manifested in accordance to the level of the understanding and application of these two Biblical truths.

With the most important growth truths comes also the most difficulties (of course) concerning their understanding and application, which answers to why there is not only a waning in many Christians spiritual growth, but also in the number of many long time Church attendees (within the last couple generations).

NC

"Be encouraged, dearly beloved in Christ to know that at the moment one is brought to faith in Christ, all within is complete and entire concerning “all things that pertain to life and godliness” (2Pe 1:3), which most importantly includes—redemption within salvation!"

hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him

having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

"It’s not as though one can do anything to be sanctified (which comes only by the Spirit at rebirth - 1Co 6:11; 2Th 2:13; 1Pe 1:2),"

Sanctified then is clearly told, to remain sanctified, to do all as told..

Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers

And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified

1 Corinthians 6:8 Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren.
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost 

If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; 

for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are

1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

1 Corinthians 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

THEREFORE BRETHREN, STAND FAST, AND HOLD the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ:

To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled

Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober,

As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance

But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation

And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

1 Peter 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

1 Peter 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.