Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

We often read here about strivings about the law and good works.    But we rarely read of the following qualities.   These qualities are things of the Spirit, wrought in our inward parts with the help of the Holy Spirit.   Just doing good works or following the law can sometimes make people into Pharisees with hardened hearts.   Instead, along with our good works which are wrought in us with the help of the Spirit, let's yield to the Holy Spirit in allowing the following to become a part of us...

12So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; 13bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. 14Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.  Colossians 3:12-14

34“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35“By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.  Galatians 5:22-23

• Loved it! 2
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I wish the striving limited itself to just the law and good works.  Unfortunately, whenever pride is the true strength behind an argument, it encompasses every aspect of life.  

Allow me to add one more verse to your collection above.

Romans 12:16

Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,178
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  1

@Debp

I’ve been wondering recently whether the works James talked about, if they were not in fact, the fruit that was spoken about in Galatians. Seeing how they both are for the benefit of others.....

Anyways just my pondering.....

Be blessed Debp as we keep our eyes Heavenwards,  Not me  

Edited by Not me
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,776
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, Debp said:

We often read here about strivings about the law and good works.    But we rarely read of the following qualities.   These qualities are things of the Spirit, wrought in our inward parts with the help of the Holy Spirit.   Just doing good works or following the law can sometimes make people into Pharisees with hardened hearts.   Instead, along with our good works which are wrought in us with the help of the Spirit, let's yield to the Holy Spirit in allowing the following to become a part of us...

12So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; 13bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. 14Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.  Colossians 3:12-14

34“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35“By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.  Galatians 5:22-23

Good verses to bring, Debp. Here's one I constantly refer to when commenting on "the law".

Heb 6:1-3
(1)  Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
(2)  of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
(3)  And this we will do if God permits.

I'm no expert when it comes to the laws of Judaism, Debp, but I do recognise Scriptures that contain the perspective that Christians should have towards it.

The observance of the law for salvation became a dead work because it denied the truth that Christ fulfilled the law, and that the righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled in us who conduct ourselves according to the Spirit, yes, thereby producing fruit of the Spirit. Anything else is of the flesh, and those who insist on legalisitic observances have only fed on the milk of the word and not the meat.

Rom 8:3-6
(3)  For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,
(4)  that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
(5)  For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
(6)  For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

To paraphrase what Michael37 said...

The last thing Jesus said as He hung on the Cross is,"It is finished!" ...that means He had fulfilled the Law, ...so then if Jesus is living inside of me:

To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:  Col 1:27

What must He be thinking about me, ...striving and obeying to keep the Law He has accomplished 2,000 years ago?

Just saying...,

Lord bless

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  0

13 hours ago, Not me said:

@Debp

I’ve been wondering recently whether the works James talked about, if they were not in fact, the fruit that was spoken about in Galatians. Seeing how they both are for the benefit of others.....

Anyways just my pondering.....

Be blessed Debp as we keep our eyes Heavenwards,  Not me  

Good thing to ponder.

Keep in mind that Fruit is what grows on the Tree.  Not through the will of the Tree, but as a result of its nature.

But I think you are on the right track.  What are the works of the Law of Liberty?  What is the Law of Liberty?

2 Trees. 2 Laws.  Is there a connection?

I fear that we are heading back into the law issues that Debp was encouraging us to take a break from. 

11 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Heb 6:1-3
(1)  Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
(2)  of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
(3)  And this we will do if God permits.

Excellent passage to quote in this context!

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,178
  • Content Per Day:  1.46

1 hour ago, lftc said:

Good thing to ponder.

Keep in mind that Fruit is what grows on the Tree.  Not through the will of the Tree, but as a result of its nature.

But I think you are on the right track.  What are the works of the Law of Liberty?  What is the Law of Liberty?

2 Trees. 2 Laws.  Is there a connection?

I fear that we are heading back into the law issues that Debp was encouraging us to take a break from. 

Thanks but  I’m not convinced 100% yet, waiting for the confirmation from above, but I lean that way. So waiting before God I wait. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don’t believe there are two laws or two trees.

There is only the law that was made for those that don’t know how to behave themselves, (the lawless).

I feel the law;  those instructions on what is sin..... is the law of liberty. For seeing how scripture says; he that sins is a slave of sin, so if one walks in perfect lawfulness (i.e. righteousness) that person would not be a slave, would  be walking in perfect liberty and freedom. 

My thinks????

Be blessed in your searching after Him, Not me 

Edited by Not me

4 minutes ago, Not me said:

Thanks but  I’m not convinced 100% yet, waiting for the confirmation from above, but I lean that way. So waiting before God I wait. 

The only place to wait.

7 minutes ago, Not me said:

My thinks????

I assume this question is directed to God as you are waiting on him.  I completely respect that.   I just wanted to clarify, in case you are asking that question of other people.  It is too easy to misunderstand in typed messages.

Jesus Loves us.  This makes me have Hope.  I hope that you are blessed with it too.