• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hey all.

Does anyone have experience being in a work environment where co-workers constantly take the Lord’s name in vain? This used to not bother me, but now with my work towards a relationship with God it makes me feel disheartened.

Is it possible to breach this topic and ask them to stop without bringing religion into the workplace? If not, does anyone have any meditations you would recommend to help me feel less bothered by this?

Thanks for any and all input — it is greatly appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,674
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

In my career field if you take offense at something like that. . .your better off staying home. Foul language is the norm and if you say something they will do it more just to get under your skin lol.

I don't know your environment but where I'm from the best advice is to take the verse "be in the world but not of it" to heart and just not sweat the small things. Remember you can't expect a non saved person to act like a saved person.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

4 hours ago, Jack Ruiz said:

Hey all.

Does anyone have experience being in a work environment where co-workers constantly take the Lord’s name in vain? This used to not bother me, but now with my work towards a relationship with God it makes me feel disheartened.

Is it possible to breach this topic and ask them to stop without bringing religion into the workplace? If not, does anyone have any meditations you would recommend to help me feel less bothered by this?

I think it is important to gently tell a brother or sister if they are misusing the Lord's name, but it is hardly meaningful to unsaved people. When I was an atheist, I could not have cared less. God was merely a word you mocked. However, after becoming a Christian, I worked at a school teaching computers. I could not talk to them, so I simply acted Christ-like. At the end of the year, one student hugged me and told me I was the best teacher. I asked why: "Because you're just different, in a good way." Students remember what someone does; words are forgotten quickly. I think people are searching for something they know in their lives is missing. They are not sure what it is. We can show them in a gentle way.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, The_Patriot2019 said:

In my career field if you take offense at something like that. . .your better off staying home. Foul language is the norm and if you say something they will do it more just to get under your skin lol.

I don't know your environment but where I'm from the best advice is to take the verse "be in the world but not of it" to heart and just not sweat the small things. Remember you can't expect a non saved person to act like a saved person.

I carry a notebook with me at work and I'm going to write that verse on the inside cover as a reminder. Thank you, I appreciate your advice! 

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

Good to see you here on the forums, Jack! I encounter this frequently so perhaps the following will help:

Pray to our Father in heaven for their sake so that they might be drawn to his Son. 

Remember that you were once like they were: careless, crude, self-absorbed, as well as ignorant and blind. God forgave you so forgive them of this offense. :)

At first it may be hard for me to remember forgiveness in the immediate moment, but that is something I am working on. But I can absolutely add this to my daily prayers so that it may become routine for me.

Being new on a journey of faith is frustrating in moments where I do not always remember these things the moment I need to take them to heart, but being reminded of them at the end of the day is so helpful. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Coliseum said:

I think it is important to gently tell a brother or sister if they are misusing the Lord's name, but it is hardly meaningful to unsaved people. When I was an atheist, I could not have cared less. God was merely a word you mocked. However, after becoming a Christian, I worked at a school teaching computers. I could not talk to them, so I simply acted Christ-like. At the end of the year, one student hugged me and told me I was the best teacher. I asked why: "Because you're just different, in a good way." Students remember what someone does; words are forgotten quickly. I think people are searching for something they know in their lives is missing. They are not sure what it is. We can show them in a gentle way.

Thanks for sharing that story! I'm going to start reminding myself before work how much His name means to me and that it may not mean the same to others and I cannot control them but I can always stay true to what is important to me.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

It sounds like you're having a sense of righteous indignation on the Lord's behalf. Not an unusual feeling to have, especially if there's continual cursings going on around you. Makes for a very negative environment, no doubt. You are being offended by all this, and certainly the Lord isn't pleased having His name slurred in such a manner. It's helpful to attempt at keeping your mind focused on God's love for them, and also His desire for their coming to Christ in repentance. May the Lord continue to bless your endeavors in seeking after His will for your life. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

P.S. Great to see you here in the forums, brother. 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

It hurts me to the quick when I hear it.  Sometimes I respond that He really loves you.   Usually I just pity them and pray for their salvation.  

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

7 hours ago, Jack Ruiz said:

Hey all.

I am retired now but I used to experience this. I used to pray for them then I would ignore it. 

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Willa said:

It hurts me to the quick when I hear it.  Sometimes I respond that He really loves you.   Usually I just pity them and pray for their salvation.  

Cool Willa. Just tell them Jesus loves them.
Just yesterday our UPS driver, whom I've witnessed to for several years, was talking in general about his job,
and suddenly every sentence was G--D-- this or that.
I have usually said if you keep saying that, He will.
I will remember and use your response instead, a blessing (instead of a curse).