IGNORED

Where do you sit?

In church. For years i got stuck next to a foolish talkative woman. She comes just to avoid being lonely on Sundays. I befriended her then could not escape. 

As i deepened in faith and understanding, she didn't. It became such a torture for me that i considered leaving our church. She kept talking, not even following the service and fidgeting during prayers. I tried encouraging her but always met uncomprehending blank nothingness. She regards church as a social outing. 

So i moved seats. It took great courage! It felt callous as indeed it was. Now i sit next to a quiet marvellous lady, a real believer. She appreciates my habit of sitting silently reading my bible before worship starts, no empty chat, We share my bible for readings, i get such joy knowing she appreciates every word of the service. Singing hymns next to her is doubly good. Afterwards we have coffee and catch up on life. At the right time. 

The other woman feels put out but has found others to sit with who are like her. I feel guilty but i had to do it.  Surely our sunday worship time is so precious we have a right to make the most of it? 

I feel so good going to church at last. Learning more weekly, able to relax. 

Who do you sit by and are you happy? Do you have a warm good feeling and look forward to your time in the house of the Lord? 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I started sitting by some folks I knew from another church, only the woman talked throughout the service and it was a bit annoying. That part of the church, the music was especially loud too. So I wanted to change seats. 

I had some misgivings about moving. I didnt want to offend. But I was not enjoying the worship time this way. 

We moved and its been good. 

My husband turns the pages of his bible so noisily and rapidly that I cant hear the sermon. He sits one seat away from me now lol. 

• Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

Yes some people are lonely and come to church for the company.

There is nothing wrong with moving from such people if they won't follow the service, but do go back afterwards and talk to them.

Even explain that you want to attend to the service. Is there a weekday womens meeting she could also attend?

The ladies in our church have a monthly evening meeting where  they meet for a meal and a good chat before settling down to hear a Christian speaker, us men are permitted to clear up and wash up. It is a great way of bring isolated ladies and those on the outside of church into church.

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Nothing wrong with moving. Now in that lady's case, I'm going to go out and say nothing wrong with her being there if for no other reason then to get company. I'd rather she be in church then home. But, on the same note if your not called to minister to her then it's a good thing you moved so that not only you can get what you need from the service, but also so that perhaps someone can sit next to her that is called to witness to her.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,448
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

15 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

In church. For years i got stuck next to a foolish talkative woman. She comes just to avoid being lonely on Sundays. I befriended her then could not escape. 

As i deepened in faith and understanding, she didn't. It became such a torture for me that i considered leaving our church. She kept talking, not even following the service and fidgeting during prayers. I tried encouraging her but always met uncomprehending blank nothingness. She regards church as a social outing. 

So i moved seats. It took great courage! It felt callous as indeed it was. Now i sit next to a quiet marvellous lady, a real believer. She appreciates my habit of sitting silently reading my bible before worship starts, no empty chat, We share my bible for readings, i get such joy knowing she appreciates every word of the service. Singing hymns next to her is doubly good. Afterwards we have coffee and catch up on life. At the right time. 

The other woman feels put out but has found others to sit with who are like her. I feel guilty but i had to do it.  Surely our sunday worship time is so precious we have a right to make the most of it? 

I feel so good going to church at last. Learning more weekly, able to relax. 

Who do you sit by and are you happy? Do you have a warm good feeling and look forward to your time in the house of the Lord? 

First going to my church, I selected sitting in the second closest pew to the pulpit by the isle. I always sit alone, as everyone else gravitates towards the back of the church for some reason? The members always seem to sit in the exact same places on Sunday and it would be an 'offense' to sit in their places it seems :noidea: I'd sit in the very front pew but, that's reserved usually for the Pastor, his wife and visiting guests, pastors, etc. it seems?

Kind hearten jabbing and fun has come my way for sitting up so close, and I take advantage of it. I tell them; to prevent the pastor from telling me, "Dennis, come right up here and sit there where I can keep an eye on you", like my teachers did in grade school; I voluntary do it to prevent them from embarrassing themselves from pointing out where they want me to sit, to keep an eye on me  :D

Being so close to the pulpit, I'm sure our Pastor can see where I need improvement in areas of my walk with Christ, with my 'squirming' when a principle hits home in my failings.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

It doesn't matter to me where I sit.  I don't have a specific area to sit in, or a special chair I consider mine.  God puts me where He wants me to be, for my sake as well as to others.  Its a new experience every week.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Sit? I often stand.

Seriously,  for many years I stood, my back pain not allowing me to sit very long.

But where do I sit when I can, wherever there is a seat available. I am not fussy. Today I sat at the far side, an awkward angle for me, it was  just beside and slightly behind the pulpit speaker and musicians (  I could just about read their music sheets) and off to the side of the screen that shows music lyrics, the lighting was very hard on my eyes, rather harsh spot lights shining straight down a shop  light LED I think. Oh it was awful. I loved it!

There I was  with saints that were so taken  up by the worship ( music) that  when the lyric sung was come bow at the altar many were already there bowed in humility and worship. The pastor under the new facility's lighting look positively garish. I suspect that will be corrected. I loved, it there was a man who had spent his week preparing so that I may hear.  I was part of church,  I was with the church, where would I rather be? Been looking  forward to it all week.

The Pastor Jim was speaking on the book of Acts. I do enjoy his insights they are helpful to me. I am so overjoyed even now to be  a new part of this local body of worshippers of Jesus. It is exciting. I'll be there this Tuesday to join with other in just cleaning up, a simple chore.  

I might bring a ball cap or a visor for next chapel service just to help my eyes a bit. Can hardly wait for the opportunity should God allow me the week. Where might sit? Hmm, wherever God provides I guess. I just hope to get there timely, or really early I had miscalulated how long it would take to travel there this rainy morning on the mountain roads. I do want so to meet some people that are forming a new service for special needs adults ( some autistic others have various processing disabilities) to be able to worship Jesus as their Lord and savior. Perhaps, just perhaps I may find a wauy to fit in there and be  of some little service.

So sit? Well I am really quite happy to see a roof that does not leak and to know that I do not have to  get up and tend to it if it does. I will sit or stand as God provides and meet whomever God leads me to meet. People are such wonderful creatures to meet, so diverse,  each with their own joys and sorrows, most  at church there to worship their creator bringing their personality as they do.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

8 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Sit? I often stand.

Seriously,  for many years I stood, my back pain not allowing me to sit very long.

But where do I sit when I can, wherever there is a seat available. I am not fussy. Today I sat at the far side, an awkward angle for me, it was  just beside and slightly behind the pulpit speaker and musicians (  I could just about read their music sheets) and off to the side of the screen that shows music lyrics, the lighting was very hard on my eyes, rather harsh spot lights shining straight down a shop  light LED I think. Oh it was awful. I loved it!

There I was  with saints that were so taken  up by the worship ( music) that  when the lyric sung was come bow at the altar many were already there bowed in humility and worship. The pastor under the new facility's lighting look positively garish. I suspect that will be corrected. I loved, it there was a man who had spent his week preparing so that I may hear.  I was part of church,  I was with the church, where would I rather be? Been looking  forward to it all week.

The Pastor Jim was speaking on the book of Acts. I do enjoy his insights they are helpful to me. I am so overjoyed even now to be  a new part of this local body of worshippers of Jesus. It is exciting. I'll be there this Tuesday to join with other in just cleaning up, a simple chore.  

I might bring a ball cap or a visor for next chapel service just to help my eyes a bit. Can hardly wait for the opportunity should God allow me the week. Where might sit? Hmm, wherever God provides I guess. I just hope to get there timely, or really early I had miscalulated how long it would take to travel there this rainy morning on the mountain roads. I do want so to meet some people that are forming a new service for special needs adults ( some autistic others have various processing disabilities) to be able to worship Jesus as their Lord and savior. Perhaps, just perhaps I may find a wauy to fit in there and be  of some little service.

So sit? Well I am really quite happy to see a roof that does not leak and to know that I do not have to  get up and tend to it if it does. I will sit or stand as God provides and meet whomever God leads me to meet. People are such wonderful creatures to meet, so diverse,  each with their own joys and sorrows, most  at church there to worship their creator bringing their personality as they do.

My eyes tend to sting after a bit from lights. Especially now since chemo meant I lost my eyelashes. Some havent grown back. I shut my eyes halfway through the service. Im not asleep lol. That eases the discomfort from the lights.

• Praying! 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

12 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

My eyes tend to sting after a bit from lights. Especially now since chemo meant I lost my eyelashes. Some havent grown back. I shut my eyes halfway through the service. Im not asleep lol. That eases the discomfort from the lights.

Yes, I am very familiar with that, my own beloved of 50 years went through much of the same that you presently endure. She too had to close her eyes at worship serives. So sorry for your having to go through such hard to endure disease and medical treatment .

I also have had laser surgeries for vision issues related to  retinitis. I have near constant eye irritation and pain. Fact my Peach stopped and bought me some eyedrops on the way home from worship I was rubbing my eye so much ( eye drops don't help, but she wanted to do something). Fortunately people at the bodies I am part of are very casual in their attire. I will not have to explain wearing a cap or visor in church. Though my present Bride my Sweet Texas Peach tells me  no real cowboy wears his hat inside.:) But then I'm not a cowboy anyway.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  0

20 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

She comes just to avoid being lonely on Sundays

This breaks my heart. I am very sensitive to loneliness. I wonder how the Lord would want us to react in this situation. 

Edited by ReneeIW