• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/05/1968

This will most likely be my last post in Worthy.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers, support, and for welcoming me into your community. Thanks to this community, I was able to come to terms with my "religious fatigue." What wears me out is the concept of what is a "true" Christian? That adjective really fits well into contemporary cancel-culture schools of thought. It becomes a blanket statement that cancels another believer's relationship to God. There are core beliefs shared by all Christians: that Jesus was the Son of the one and only God, crucified as a sacrificial lamb to pay a blood atonement for our sins, risen from the dead, and ascended into Heaven to be with the Father, etc. Not having a fundamental belief in Christ certainly would call one's "Christianity" into question. But, for Christians who believe in Christ, they have accepted "the truth." Pilate asked Jesus, "What is the truth?" 

37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.38 Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.

"Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice." A true Christian simply is one who has heard the calling to Christ's salvation through the grace of our Creator. When I joined the forum, I said that I was just a normal Christian. I believe that any Christian who professes that Jesus is Lord and Savior is a true Christian. We may disagree about understanding, interpretation, once saved always saved, and even go so far as to question Paul or Biblical inerrancy without denying "the truth" in any way. "The truth" is Christ. We each hear His voice differently, but we know it is His voice. 

Judging other Christians as "true" or not, according to our own understanding, leads to division and to people leaving our communities. 

Edited by TraceMalin
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Truth is when one's words and deeds are in alignment with God's Word. Thanks for sharing such a personal post. I am praying for you wherever life takes you next. God bless you!

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I think I just posted not long ago on a very similar topic.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

Trace, I hope you decide to stay. I was thinking about some of the stuff happening and it made me reflect on what Jesus said.  A house divided can not stand and I think this can also be applied to Christians. The Body of Christ should not be divided against itself, yet many times we are arguing with each other over beliefs or any belief that differs from ours. Paul spoke about the gifts of the Spirit and how they should all be working together. I believe that we all have unique gifts and talents that can benefit others here. We just have to remember to do everything in love and with much patience for others.

1 Corinthians 12:25, “that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other.”

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Hey Trace - we have not had much in lines of a discussion, but allow me to encourage you to stick around.  Take a break if need be, but don't close the door behind you.

I've been here many years and there will always be those judgmental people telling everyone that they are not true Christians if they don't agree with them because they have the correct answer and everyone who disagrees does not.  That is their pride and arrogance shining through their words, trying to do what the Holy Spirit was sent to do, which is to teach us the truth, convicting us when we are wrong, and encouraging us to be more like Jesus --- not like another member here or anywhere else.  I know it's hard to ignore them.  It makes no difference if they are right or not because how they post does not reflect Jesus as it is not done in love, but in prideful arrogant manner, demeaning the person they are posting to.  The flesh is a hard obstacle to overcome, allowing the old man to die. 

Anyway, I have not seen a time where there was not someone like that.  I know I was when I first got here, but as I matured in Christ I realized the truth and depth of Colossians 4:6 ... Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.  Some have not learnt that yet.  They are more like a bull in a glass shop.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,904
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 hours ago, TraceMalin said:

This will most likely be my last post in Worthy.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers, support, and for welcoming me into your community. Thanks to this community, I was able to come to terms with my "religious fatigue." What wears me out is the concept of what is a "true" Christian? That adjective really fits well into contemporary cancel-culture schools of thought. It becomes a blanket statement that cancels another believer's relationship to God. There are core beliefs shared by all Christians: that Jesus was the Son of the one and only God, crucified as a sacrificial lamb to pay a blood atonement for our sins, risen from the dead, and ascended into Heaven to be with the Father, etc. Not having a fundamental belief in Christ certainly would call one's "Christianity" into question. But, for Christians who believe in Christ, they have accepted "the truth." Pilate asked Jesus, "What is the truth?" 

37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.38 Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.

"Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice." A true Christian simply is one who has heard the calling to Christ's salvation through the grace of our Creator. When I joined the forum, I said that I was just a normal Christian. I believe that any Christian who professes that Jesus is Lord and Savior is a true Christian. We may disagree about understanding, interpretation, once saved always saved, and even go so far as to question Paul or Biblical inerrancy without denying "the truth" in any way. "The truth" is Christ. We each hear His voice differently, but we know it is His voice. 

Judging other Christians as "true" or not, according to our own understanding, leads to division and to people leaving our communities. 

Thanks for all your diving stories, Trace.

As a young boy I read a lot of adventure fiction in a series by an author who always wrote about diving and of course I wanted to live out the stories when I grew up. Unfortunately my bad eyesight and killer headaches caused me to change course but the childhood pleasure of reading about deep sea diving in big helmets and suits, and goings on around various reefs, caves and wrecks remains a fond memory for me. 

Feel free to leave this forum without a trace, but God always knows where you are at, and offers the gift of His love to all who will receive it.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

@TraceMalin

Nice summary.

I understand the frustration.  It would be nice to have true fellowship, but in a public forum the conflicts will always be present.  And they are necessary: the decisions we make about what we believe are reflected in how we act towards each other at every level, from snubbing someone at a tea, all the way up to capital punishment and genocide.  All human decisions, all claiming right.  In the end, UNDER THE SUN (as the Teacher in Eccl says), might is right.  Those with the power to do so enforce their view on all others.  The tea snubbee, simply does not invite the tea snubber to the next tea.  The court systems send people to death or imprisonment for actions that are a crime in their area, but not a crime in the next area.  Church groups line up behind doctrines and either despise people of other doctrines or even kill them (many examples to be seen). 

What does this have to do with this forum?  At least we can try to learn to communicate.  I'm trying.  My belief as to the meaning of the Gospel leads me to recognize Love and Mercy as the only mitigating factor in this world.  I am trying to learn how to communicate my pearls bought at great price (you truly have no idea) to others. 

I hope to not post too long here as well.  It is draining.  And many of the things said here can get people killed or destroyed by government and other power groups.  The world is not safe.  Hence, this forum is good as it allows true anonymity.

I have enjoyed your tales of adventures and your unreserved way of communicating.   I loved the advice you gave to John about going to the dive club for help.  A true grasp of truth.

I hope you get many more years of adventures.