• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

12 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Ah! Yes, it's called subliminal messaging. Some young man back in the 1970's with a reel-to-reel tape recorder, began duplicating numerous popular album oriented FM radio top hit songs of the day, and accidentally discovered backward-masking. It was a hypothesis of his that groups were sending secret and often satanic messages through their lyrics.

By playing back the songs backwards, certain lines to these songs were touted as satanic suggestions. I listened to quite a few of them, as this young man appeared on all the big television variety and talk shows. Some of them did sound very close to what was alleged, and some not so much. In the end, most came to the conclusion that it was merely coincidental.  

When I was a teen my church brought some guy in to speak to the youth group.  He had a bunch of fancy equipment and tried convincing everyone that there were messages on the music.  It was nothing but garbled noise to my ears, I think people hear what they want to hear with that stuff.  As far as lyrics themselves, they are pretty straightforward, some are blatantly wrong, some are a little more disguised, and some are straight from the bible.

God bless

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, wingnut- said:

As far as lyrics themselves, they are pretty straightforward, some are blatantly wrong, some are a little more disguised, and some are straight from the bible.

In 1965, a folk rock group named The Byrds, came out with a follow up hit song after covering Bob Dylan's Mr. Tambourine Man, and hit the air-waves with Turn, Turn, Turn. Many young people began pulling out their bibles at that point, as the lyrics were taken from the third chapter of Ecclesiastes.   

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.66
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

There were a few songs like that back then when us Jesus Freaks were passing out chick tracts in parks and street corners.

:-)

It was a great time. Bible study, playing acoustic guitars for praise songs and having what we called love feasts and baptizing new converts. The Lord was working. For a time, it was an organic church.

Thanks for the memory jog!

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, BeauJangles said:

Heavy metal ushered in a group from the UK known as, Black Sabbath in 1971. The lyrics were unquestionably satanic, though later on in the height of their popularity, lead singer Ozzy Osbourne claimed it was only a ruse to get them into popular mainstream FM radio and fame. He did play up the character of the alleged Prince of Darkness though.  

personally I don't consider heavy metal as rock....   always thought if it has a different name it's different music....    the only metal I ever liked was one of the first "Inna Gotta Divita"   Some call it rock and some metal....   still has good lyrics and the drums are special....

I only listen to music I have bought....   fortunately I took a whole summer's lawn mowing savings and bought a teak 10 inch real to real recorder.   As I bought records from the time I was 12 the first time the record was played was to record it on those tapes....    when 8 tracks came out I had all my music to put on 8 track tapes..     No radio for me.  Hate commercials

A few years ago I bought a good sound recording program and digitized everything I ever bought....   so I have about 1500 songs on my computers, phones and tablets and carbonite....

I don't even know how long those would play

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

37 minutes ago, other one said:

personally I don't consider heavy metal as rock....   always thought if it has a different name it's different music....    the only metal I ever liked was one of the first "Inna Gotta Divita"   Some call it rock and some metal....   still has good lyrics and the drums are special....

Yep. The long version which the band Iron Butterfly, presented this tune covered the entire LP of side one. And records in those days were about 20-25 minutes long. The title in Spanish was said to mean: In The Garden of Eden. My best buddy had this album, and we used to listen to it quite often.  

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/18/2000

A music genre as broad as rock, and even heavy metal, can't be so easily dismissed as Satanic. I thought this scare was over in the 80s.

Yes, there are some bands and songs that put lyrics with questionable content in them. No, not all bands and songs put lyrics with questionable content in them. It might be a bit harder to find with some genres, but it's almost guaranteed with any genre you visit that you'll be able to find some music to enjoy with clean lyrics. Even a band as raunchy as Death Grips has songs with clean lyrics.

Sometimes you just have to do a little searching, not all lyrics for genres are identical.

1 hour ago, BeauJangles said:

Yep. The long version which the band Iron Butterfly, presented this tune covered the entire LP of side one. And records in those days were about 20-25 minutes long. The title in Spanish was said to mean: In The Garden of Eden. My best buddy had this album, and we used to listen to it quite often.  

it's my all time favorite instrumental.   Not enough singing to even count 17 minutes long.

Interestingly the long version was pretty much an accident....  

In a gadda da vida, honey
Don't you know that I'm lovin' you
In a gadda da vida, baby
Don't you know that I'll always be true

Oh, won't you come with me
And take my hand
Oh, won't you come with me
And walk this land
Please take my hand

My understanding from watching interviews with them the whole thing was an accident....    supposedly several of them were really high on something.   It was the only thing they recorded that was any kind of hit that I know about.  I have a CD with several recordings of it and none of them are as good as the first.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

16 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Sounds maybe silly but is it? 

Seems to me the lyrics and images are set against that which is of God. Heavy metal especially. Also the attitudes towards love and sex. 

A friend of mine who is really into it says i am fussing about nothing. It's all just a show he says and fun. Yet the lyrics are full of bad words, anger and dark thoughts as far as i can perceive.

Music is a huge part of life and relaxation but it also heavily influences, especially young minds. Surely young boys into rock are shaped by that which they listen to daily. 

Rock music, in itself, is not bad. They lyrics sometimes are bad, though. That would be true of all secular music, I think.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, DustyRoad said:

I can explain why metal is problematic: it's Satanic in origin. I understand this from experience but needless to say, the world disagrees. I can't stomach the music of my youth now … it's horrific and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone else. It sounds awful!

That's how I feel about Polka music. Except for the satanic part. 

• Haha 2