dhchristian

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  0

How long wilt thou go about, O thou backsliding daughter? for the LORD hath created a new thing in the earth, A woman shall compass (encircle) a man. (Jer. 31:22)

This passage is referring to the regathering of Israel in the Holy Land, and is one of the most Puzzling Phrases in scripture. some have suggested this refers to the virgin birth , with the Son of Man in the Womb being the Woman who encircles the man, Others have said this refers to an end time event of the repentant bride Israel "wooing" the messiah. Most commentaries leave this as open ended and unexplained with certainty. If you want to read some commentaries on this verse, here is a link with some of those commentaries. 

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/jeremiah/31-22.htm

The Question posed here is what do you see as the meaning of this "new thing" created in the earth? Is it like the Geneva Bible commentary says referring to the Womb of the virgin Mary? Or this a reference to something else entirely?

I Have some ideas of my own I will share after some responses here. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

It is a strong implication of a weak nation being surrounded and strengthened and brought home. Perhaps all the scattered nations and tribes because they are all God's inheritance. The rest of the passage seems to bear this out.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

10 hours ago, dhchristian said:

How long wilt thou go about, O thou backsliding daughter? for the LORD hath created a new thing in the earth, A woman shall compass (encircle) a man. (Jer. 31:22)

This passage is referring to the regathering of Israel in the Holy Land, and is one of the most Puzzling Phrases in scripture. some have suggested this refers to the virgin birth , with the Son of Man in the Womb being the Woman who encircles the man, Others have said this refers to an end time event of the repentant bride Israel "wooing" the messiah. Most commentaries leave this as open ended and unexplained with certainty. If you want to read some commentaries on this verse, here is a link with some of those commentaries. 

The Question posed here is what do you see as the meaning of this "new thing" created in the earth? Is it like the Geneva Bible commentary says referring to the Womb of the virgin Mary? Or this a reference to something else entirely?

Well, this is how I view it taking into account whom is being addressed in the passage.

Jeremiah 31:20 Is Ephraim my dear son?
    Is he my darling child?
For as often as I speak against him,
    I do remember him still.
Therefore my heart yearns for him;
    I will surely have mercy on him,
declares the Lord.

21 “Set up road markers for yourself;
    make yourself guideposts;
consider well the highway,
    the road by which you went.
Return, O virgin Israel,
    return to these your cities.
22 How long will you waver,
    O faithless daughter?
For the Lord has created a new thing on the earth:
    a woman encircles a man.”

For the majority of this chapter, the Lord is addressing Ephraim, which earlier on in the chapter is referred to as His firstborn.  Now keep in mind the Assyrian exile, where the northern kingdom was taken into captivity and the 10 tribes became "lost".  The final stronghold to fall in that conflict was Samaria, which was within the borders of Ephraim's portion of land.  Now consider this chapter from Ezekiel, though I'm only going to post the beginning segment, the rest I recommend reading on your own.

Ezekiel 23  The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, there were two women, the daughters of one mother. 3 They played the whore in Egypt; they played the whore in their youth; there their breasts were pressed and their virgin bosoms handled. 4 Oholah was the name of the elder and Oholibah the name of her sister. They became mine, and they bore sons and daughters. As for their names, Oholah is Samaria, and Oholibah is Jerusalem.

So, to answer your general point as I incorporate all the information available to us in scripture regarding Israel, and how God designates them, I see the woman encircling the man to be speaking to these two daughters in Ezekiel returning to God and resettling the area cities surrounding New Jerusalem.  I also think these two sisters factor into the understanding of the woman in Revelation 12 and 17.

God bless

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, dhchristian said:

I do not claim to know, But i got the impression of feminism and some woman taking on mens roles to be the money earner and provider and marrying a man who is a stay at home dad..

Anyway i would like to hear other peoples thoughts on this..

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

22 hours ago, dhchristian said:

Hi dhchristian

God is mentioning what I have been trying to explain for years, but so far nobody gets it?

This prophecy given was for way into the future and concerns the thousand years when God brings back Israel's captivity, meaning when mercy goes back to Israel and they are brought under God's wing again, .....only then will this happen.

This new thing that God will create in the earth, is that HIS woman, Zion, which symbolises God's law/his doctrine will be surrounding Israel.  His law will be taught throughout the whole land and his truth will be like a wall of protection.

The interpretation is a little further down in the chapter;

Jeremiah 31:33   But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Jeremiah 31:34   And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Israel will return to their true mother (metaphorically speaking) and this woman which comes from above is his doctrine.

Galatians 4:26   But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

• 3 weeks later...

Isaiah 28:9   Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

Psalms 87:5   And of Zion it shall be said, This and that man was born in her: and the highest himself shall establish her.

Psalms 102:13   Thou shalt arise, and have mercy upon Zion: for the time to favour her, yea, the set time, is come.

Isaiah 66:8   Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.

Jeremiah 8:19   Behold the voice of the cry of the daughter of my people because of them that dwell in a far country: Is not the LORD in Zion? is not her king in her? Why have they provoked me to anger with their graven images, and with strange vanities?

Revelation 12:1   And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

Isaiah 50:1   Thus saith the LORD, Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement, whom I have put away? or which of my creditors is it to whom I have sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away.

Still not many, in fact none that I can witness desire to understand who Zion is exactly?

She is God's woman.  She is his doctrine, ...his teachings.   God depicts his teachings as a mother guiding and nurturing her children.  God's woman (his teachings) are his spiritual city that we have been called to dwell in.

Isaiah 28:9   Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

When we come into ZION - to learn, we are like newborns who need the milk.  Not any mothers milk, but Zion's milk.  The milk is the very foundation that we find in the New Testament.  The milk will show us who Christ is, and all his commandments from the written Word.  If we keep feeding on this milk, we can grow, and our metaphoric mother will guide us into more truth, and show us same amazing things.

Zion was Israel's mother whilst she was walking in God's commandments, and now she is our mother if we walk in Christ's commandments.  She is just another word for God's teachings, which makes up his City where his laws and truth abide.  God speaks about his woman throughout so many scriptures in such a poetic way, because the highlight of God's kingdom are that his teachings are true.  His teachings stand by him, as a loyal wife stands by her husband.  Truth has always existed, but when we learn it, it becomes a teaching or a doctrine that cannot be broken. 

So when I mention "our mother", I am not speaking about Mary, or some female diety,...no I am speaking about our doctrine.  Not your doctrine, mine or Fred's, but God's doctrine which is given in the written Word of God, that he has given us to seek and find.

If we obey those basics that Christ taught us, it shows him that we are serious in our walk.  If we are accusing each other, not exercising brotherly love, ...and impatient with one another, then we need to go back to lesson no. 1 and learn how to love and forgive again as first instructed.  If we cannot do this, then our true mother will be taken from us, and we will miss out on so much truth that the spirit of God want's to show us.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

This is a prophecy about wayward Israel.  Through the Law covenant, God symbolically view this nation in a marriage relationship with Him.  At Jeremiah 31:21, He invites this nation to return to this relationship.  He uses the analogy of how a wife would press around her husband in order to get back into good relations with him; thus, likewise with God-their “husbandly owner.”-Isaiah 54:5, Jeremiah 31:32.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

Woman encircles the man?

I believe that this represents the feminist movement, which has the proclivity of make women into man.