douge

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  354
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  964
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

2 Timothy 3:10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,

Paul is the pattern for salvation in this dispensation of grace (Colossians 1:25). Paul is the pattern for doctrine, manner of life, purpose and faith to the church, the body of Christ (1 Timothy 1:16).

Romans 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

Doctrine is delivered to the church and is to be obeyed.

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

The church is to exhibit unity in regard to doctrine (Ephesians 4:3 Ephesians 4:13). Division in the body results from disobedience to delivered doctrine.

1 Timothy 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

Only the delivered doctrine given to the church is to be taught.

1 Corinthians 4:15 For though ye have ten thousand instructers in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

The church, the body, is formed by believing the gospel revealed to Paul by the Lord Jesus Christ (Galatians 1:12). The body is to follow Paul for a pattern for doctrine and manner of life. The church is to follow Paul, as he follows Christ (1 Corinthians 11:1).

4:17 For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.

Paul is teacher to all the churches in the body.

2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Paul is a pattern of doctrine and teaching whose teaching is to be passed on to others in the body.

2 Thessalonians 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

Paul taught by word or epistle the doctrine and instruction delivered to the body. It is in the epistles of Paul where the body finds the commands and teachings to hold and obey.

Galatians 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

It is in the epistles of Paul we find the gospel of our salvation unto eternal life.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Paul is just one example of who we need to follow in Jesus.  Even Paul himself tells Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 

Paul also tells us in 1 Corinthians 3:1-11

And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ.  I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men?  For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal?

Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one?  I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.  So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.  Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building.  According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it.  For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Be careful not to exclude other scripture because it was not written by Paul, nor put Paul on a pedestal where he himself does not want to be.

• Well Said! 1

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:14 PM, OneLight said:

Paul is just one example of who we need to follow in Jesus.  Even Paul himself tells Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 

Paul also tells us in 1 Corinthians 3:1-11

And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ.  I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men?  For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal?

Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one?  I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.  So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.  Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building.  According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it.  For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Be careful not to exclude other scripture because it was not written by Paul, nor put Paul on a pedestal where he himself does not want to be.

Paul said to follow him as he follows Christ 1 Corinthians 11:1

25 minutes ago, douge said:

Paul said to follow him as he follows Christ 1 Corinthians 11:1

Why not just follow Christ Himself?

15 hours ago, OneLight said:

We follow Christ by observing what was revealed through Paul by him......that is following Christ.

7 minutes ago, douge said:

We follow Christ by observing what was revealed through Paul by him......that is following Christ.

Paul is one example of following Jesus, not the only example.  Paul himself denounced anyone who claimed to be of Paul.  How is it that Paul tells us to follow Jesus, but you say to follow Paul only?

1 Corinthians 1:11-13

Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.  For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you.  Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.”  Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Again I warn not to put Paul on a pedestal he does not want to be on.  Paul is a great example, but not the only example.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

15 hours ago, OneLight said:

As written in the NT , repeatedly,   why not live daily,  walking in the LIGHT,  walking IN UNION (ECHAD) with the Son and with the Father DAILY,  all the time ?  

This is noted of the Ekklesia throughout the NT,   but not so much today, eh ?

@douge - have you ever stepped back to consider how people lived during the 1st century?   Notice that there were no bibles and only the synagogues and the very rich had copies of the Tanakh?  Everything was taught by word of mouth outside of the synagogues.  To the Gentiles, Paul was there only example of what a true christian was for there were many false teachers during that time.  People did not have the privilege of opening their bible to see what was true or false.  So, for those whom Paul taught, yes, they were to follow his example.  Today, we are blessed with scripture, OT and NT, where we can read and study ourselves.  Like Paul, we also have the Holy Spirit to teach us the truth.  It is not all Paul and nobody else.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, simplejeff said:

As written in the NT , repeatedly,   why not live daily,  walking in the LIGHT,  walking IN UNION (ECHAD) with the Son and with the Father DAILY,  all the time ?  

Depends on who you are discussing this with.  Rarely do I come across someone who claims the only way to find salvation is to follow Paul's example.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

On 10/28/2019 at 10:05 AM, simplejeff said:

On 10/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, OneLight said:

@douge - have you ever stepped back to consider how people lived during the 1st century?   Notice that there were no bibles and only the synagogues and the very rich had copies of the Tanakh?  Everything was taught by word of mouth outside of the synagogues.  To the Gentiles, Paul was there only example of what a true christian was for there were many false teachers during that time.  People did not have the privilege of opening their bible to see what was true or false.  So, for those whom Paul taught, yes, they were to follow his example.  Today, we are blessed with scripture, OT and NT, where we can read and study ourselves.  Like Paul, we also have the Holy Spirit to teach us the truth.  It is not all Paul and nobody else.

Always been difficult,  very difficult, thru all the centuries AND TODAY,  to find anyone faithful and true.  To find ANY EXAMPLE...

and no,  Paul was NOT the only example they had.  But yes,  there were few examples.  Same today.   Few living examples.  Scripture is required to see what is truth,  to verify what is true,  to know with a witness - assurance,  confidence,  peace - all Scripture confirms all Yahweh's Plan and Purpose. 

There are many false teachers today.   If not for the falseness in the world,  there likely would not be internet at all ("Thy Will Be Done, on earth ..."  does NOT include electronic media, nor anything at all that pollutes)

People with 10 , 20, 30, 0r 40 Bibles at their fingertips,  on the forums,  are and have been totally hoodwinked by the demons - they talk with demons !   (NOT cast them out),  talk!,  as if with 'friends'!    Totally deceived and totally deceiving others.....

On 10/28/2019 at 9:57 PM, OneLight said:

Depends on who you are discussing this with.  Rarely do I come across someone who claims the only way to find salvation is to follow Paul's example.

Notice,  the first century,  the accounts in Scripture,  the lives of the true believers, Ekklesia, born again by the WILL OF THE FATHER IN HEAVEN,  not by the choice, effort, work, nor will of man, nor of blood.

Stick with Scripture.   All those people no matter their testimony,  who live opposed to Scripture,  opposed to Jesus,  living lives against His Word,  contrary to His Word,   all those people are false witnesses leading others astray as much as possible.