I am afraid to pray aloud with unbelievers and other christians

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Why am I afraid to pray aloud with other Christians and unbelievers? 

Whenever someone asked me for a prayer I would decline it because I am shy and am anxious to say my prayers, as it if feels like I wouldn't be able to deliver the right words for that particular moment. 

Though, there have been times that I accepted the request and was able to pray well. It's just when I Was a kid, I was this shy not so talkative guy and my experience from praying aloud as awful! 

Lately, when I sing and worship and offer praises to the Lord I would say a prayer aloud but not too loud but I'm all by myself. 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom @Besofo Shel Yom

I don't think that's anything to worry about brother. 

When you become a follower, you don't cease to be you, or human and just conform to one "unified organism character type" with the church.  If you aren't feeling like you want to pray in front of others, then that's all it means - there's nothing to be concerned about. 

It could be that Yahweh would have you pray privately or alone for a significant reason. So, how ever you feel led naturally, that do. And don't try conform to others who may appear to be a "better" Christian. 

You are precious to Yahweh.  He asks us to change our sinning ways but not our natural character traits. So have confidence in your differences and try to understand them objectively, as they are often an indication of our calling/gift. 

Love & Shalom 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

13 hours ago, Besofo Shel Yom said:

Some believers in Christ have issues of timidity for some reason, and I'm sure you must have yours. When first becoming a Christian, I was also shy by nature. It is by His Spirit that we can have more boldness in the Lord. Ask and receive it by prayer and follow through by doing. It may seem like stumbling for a bit, but being reluctant to do this can be overcome. Then when someone requests you to pray with them, it will eventually become less fearful over time. God bless you, friend. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

16 hours ago, Besofo Shel Yom said:

Whenever someone asked me for a prayer I would decline it because I am shy and am anxious to say my prayers, as it if feels like I wouldn't be able to deliver the right words for that particular moment. 

Though, there have been times that I accepted the request and was able to pray well. It's just when I Was a kid, I was this shy not so talkative guy and my experience from praying aloud as awful! 

Lately, when I sing and worship and offer praises to the Lord I would say a prayer aloud but not too loud but I'm all by myself. 

I was once leading an adult Sunday school class and decided to end it in prayer. When I began to pray out loud, I had great difficulty finding words. I would say it's okay to decline a request to pray out loud.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 minute ago, johnthebaptist said:

I was once leading an adult Sunday school class and decided to end it in prayer. When I began to pray out loud, I had great difficulty finding words. I would say it's okay to decline a request to pray out loud.

Yes, this can be a really awkward situation, and I recall fumbling over trying to make an effective and meaningful prayer before a group setting such as this. It's an honor to be asked, and so a good thing to do would be to offer the best attempt one can make. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

Hi Besofo Shel Yom,

Romans 8:26, "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words." 

I used to feel self conscious when saying any prayer out loud, stumbling and not knowing what to say (when I knew what I wanted to say in my mind). It took practice and deciding to put my focus on the Lord and the person I may be praying for. Because I knew that as soon as I start thinking about what other people are thinking and if I'm saying the right thing, my prayer becomes hindered. Just speak from your heart and God will hear you. It's the quality of your prayer to God that counts not the length of the prayer. Sometimes my prayers are very short ie "Help us Lord"! and leave it at that.

• 8 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 10/27/2019 at 8:54 PM, Besofo Shel Yom said:

Praying to yourself is Ok, but praying for other people should be done with pride in who you follow and serve. If you are ashamed of Jesus he will be ashamed of you.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 10/27/2019 at 1:54 PM, Besofo Shel Yom said:

First of all why would unbelievers pray? It sounds like you are worried the prayer will not be perfect. God is not looking for perfection.