Is it ok to change your church?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Is it ok to change your church? I've been pondering this with my head for a year now. I've been with my current church for more than 20 years but had the need to change one due to some reasons. 

First I am diagnosed with Schizophrenia and Bipolar (there's no visible symptoms for a year now and I can say that I'm completely normal) and there have been times where I acted awful during a service and cause troubles etc. Also, in my relapse (psychosis breakdown) I messaged a member and have said weird things to her. I tried contacting her lately to apologize but she blocked me. Second, I don't feel so great about the church anymore, like the teachings doesn't work for me anymore and also, the pressure from my colleagues have been stressing me out. They (the church) ask too much about the money. And I don't like it when the church does that though I am aware that tithes is the Lord's will. 

Anyhow, I visited a church last year and it was so good, I can go on to do church alone and I can feel it was working for me until I had psychosis again. Now, I'm thinking of going back to my church but I don't want to feel the stress again. It's like I'm looking at the people but not to God entirely? And I know, which is bad but I want to be honest, if I want to commit myself into it then I need no distractions. Even Paul left those whom he was having a hard time if I remember correctly. 

Can I go to a new church? I'd like to renew my colleagues where I can do a fresh start. But if I get into trouble again with my new church? Is it worth to change one? 

Edited by Besofo Shel Yom

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Hi, a warm welcome to you!

It's ok to change churches if you feel led to do that.   It sounds like you have some good reasons for that, especially if the teachings aren't helping you anymore.

psalm-118-27-inspirational.jpg.4d5757f7def9b324f8b1561c981d5573.jpg

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

4 hours ago, Besofo Shel Yom said:

Is it ok to change your church? I've been pondering this with my head for a year now. I've been with my current church for more than 20 years but had the need to change one due to some reasons. 

First I am diagnosed with Schizophrenia and Bipolar (there's no visible symptoms for a year now and I can say that I'm completely normal) and there have been times where I acted awful during a service and cause troubles etc. Also, in my relapse (psychosis breakdown) I messaged a member and have said weird things to her. I tried contacting her lately to apologize but she blocked me. Second, I don't feel so great about the church anymore, like the teachings doesn't work for me anymore and also, the pressure from my colleagues have been stressing me out. They (the church) ask too much about the money. And I don't like it when the church does that though I am aware that tithes is the Lord's will. 

Anyhow, I visited a church last year and it was so good, I can go on to do church alone and I can feel it was working for me until I had psychosis again. Now, I'm thinking of going back to my church but I don't want to feel the stress again. It's like I'm looking at the people but not to God entirely? And I know, which is bad but I want to be honest, if I want to commit myself into it then I need no distractions. Even Paul left those whom he was having a hard time if I remember correctly. 

Can I go to a new church? I'd like to renew my colleagues where I can do a fresh start. But if I get into trouble again with my new church? Is it worth to change one? 

Blessings to you. I know what it is like to change churches, even asking my pastor if he thought I had reasonable concerns, and he said, yes. I think that after you pray to the Lord, and perhaps speak to some wise counsel, there is no boundary as long as you are hearing the true Word of God. But your last question, "Is it worth to change one," is a question whose motive you must answer. Jesus said he came to heal the sick, not the well. He was being a bit sarcastic because He knew that no one is well enough not to need Him. We are all "sick" and in need of the Doctor who is able, and willing, to make us well. 

When I left the church for another, I am ten times better for having done it, but each person must seek God's counsel to know for himself. Take care sister.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

9 hours ago, Besofo Shel Yom said:

Yes, you can go to multiple Churches to see which one fits well for you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom @Besofo Shel Yom

Yes and no :)

If your church has consistently poor teaching or is all about the money, yes, come out of her and go elsewhere. 

However, we shouldn't leave because of poor relationship issues. The church is a family and family affairs can get pretry messy. The real test of a disciple is within the church relationships and not in singing worship songs, witnessing or making tea. We need to be able to resolve matters, forgive and be at peace with each other rather than run away - otherwise I'm sure the problems with follow us and manifest in a different way as the Father lovingly disciplines us. 

But, again, if the teaching is consistently poor and money focussed, get out of there :)

Love & Shalom 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

wherever you go make sure that your pastor knows of your mental problem.    It might even be a good idea if everyone knows.   It makes it much easier for people to overlook the negative things that will come up when the psychosis pops up.     It is rather scary for the other folks if they don't understand why things are happening. 

• 8 months later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 10/27/2019 at 9:18 PM, Besofo Shel Yom said:

Changing church does almost nothing for you. It is the steps you take and the belief you have that makes the difference in spirituality.