• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,519
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Offered without  personal comment- for now

A pastor whose church is having their very first "Trunk or Treat" Shares his response to criticism of a church having any kind of association with a celebration called Halloween:

"This past week I received an email from an individual in our community asking why we as a church would celebrate a holiday like Halloween. Apparently this person had spotted our sign cruising down US 19, checked out our website, and was disturbed by the reality that our students would be coming together on October 31 for a Halloween party. So, the query came in and since I celebrate this holiday – granted, I pass on the blood drinking, Satan worship, and human sacrifices – I responded with my thoughts and decided to share them with you all. 

The darker origins of this holiday are primarily rooted in a Celtic festival, called Samhain, celebrated at the end of each harvest season. Samhain – literally meaning “Summer’s End” – was a time to reflect on the prosperities of summer and prepare for the dark, colder months ahead. During this time livestock would be slaughtered for the winter, and the carcasses of the dead animals would be set a blaze in large bonfires through the Irish countryside. Though not originally the intent, Samhain became know as the time at which the door to the “otherworld” was opened, and communication with the dead could occur. Souls of loved ones were beckoned to enter this world, which obviously gave rise to occultic activity. With this insurgence of demonic activity, many people in Ireland would disguise themselves during Samhain to “trick” the evil spirits. This custom was passed down through the centuries and became the fun tradition that it is today rather than the seemingly necessary ritual of the dark ages. Unfortunately when most Christians today hear the word “Halloween” they are inclined to think of it as an apple to the apple of Samhain. This though is a misnomer and it is important that we understand as much.

The name “Halloween” is actually a Christian term coming from the 16th century and meaning “All Hallows Eve” – the day before “All Saints Day.” All Saints Day was a time set aside each year on November 1 to honor and remember those who have served, lived for, and even been martyred for Christ Jesus. Though parts of “the church” have corrupted such a day, turning it into worship of the saints, the original design for this day was to remember Christians gone before and learn from their example (as we are called to do in Hebrews 12:1). 

All Hallows Eve also holds a special place in the hearts of those who celebrate the light that broke through with the Protestant Reformation. Martin Luther, a monk we would now remember fondly on All Saints Day, nailed the 95 Thesis on the door of Castle Church in Wittenburg, Germany, on October 31, 1517. This was a major spark to ignite the revival that swept across Europe, bringing about theological and clerical purity throughout the church and birthing the Protestant denominations of Baptist, Lutheran, and Presbyterian.

All of this being said, we celebrate a day like Halloween – though the world has corrupted it as the world has corrupted Easter and Christmas – because on it we remember the Reformation and the saints that have gone on before us, and we enjoy the holiday for what it should be, not for what the world has made it. This certainly does not mean that you have to celebrate this holiday, but if you choose to, do so with our created purpose in mind: “to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever.”

Soli Deo Gloria

Aaron"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I think it's ok for some to celebrate at Halloween and not ok for others, entirely dependant on how their heart is set on the matter. I dont think Halloween has any deep rooted meaning to anyone these days.

Witchcraft is a no no, satan worshipping is a no no....

Kids dressing up and carving up pumpkins, I dont see any harm in that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

There have been a lot of discussions on here in the past about Halloween. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,519
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, I guess I do see some potential harm in  the "nattering naybobs  of negativity" that get championed in the perhaps good or at least well intentioned cause against, well almost everything as the Champion against things see much as being evil and of evil spirits that they need to be correcting; especially in others.

With being told of the forever seeing of demons that need to be driven out, seldom do I hear or hear  of concern forwhat  happens when a  real demon is driven out and an emptied house is left behind. The zeal for ridding the demon from it's home  seems not to very often incorporate a filling of that now empty house. Instead there is the next demon to go after leaving yet another empty house to be filled.

I do wonder what the benefit of such a "ministry " might be if any. There might even be greater harm coming, for  the having of the exorcism of the "unclean spirit".

“When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none.  Then it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when it comes, it finds the house empty, swept, and put in order.  Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there, and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So also will it be with this evil generation.”

Seems to me there needs be some encouragement. Least some, sometime. Got to preach a little filler for the void. Learn what is real  of God and one need not be learning much of anything about what may be false.

13 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

There have been a lot of discussions on here in the past about Halloween. 

Yes and there will be in the future, God granting a future. There are two already that are active. I didn't wish to post on either. I am presenting a different take on the subject for consideration by anyone that may find it interesting to read.

Others that have no interest in the information perhaps different from what they already hold dear to them  may let it pass them by.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Nope

• Thumbs Up 3
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

It depends on the celebrations.  

My church holds a fall carnival in our gym for the community with the purpose of getting to know people and gather prospects for evangelism and inviting to join our fellowship.

We give away free hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.   We have games for the kids, cake/cup cakes walks for everyone, and people dress up in non-scary costumes.  My mother's church has a trunk or treat for community kids also with the free food.  Both churches are providing safe fun and entertainment as it's not so safe anymore to go trick or treating.

I have no problem with this.

What I have a problem with are all the TV shows and movies that involve the occult, the intensely gross, and demonic in October.  There's never a time for those things.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Great discussion here. Our church has an event for the kidlets but obviously the focus of the event is Jesus.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,794
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

Ok, I am curious. What does anyone think of churches that host horror houses that feature things like the torture of hell?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

3 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Ok, I am curious. What does anyone think of churches that host horror houses that feature things like the torture of hell?

Good question. I would be against it. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,173
  • Content Per Day:  1.22

No it should not be celebrated , its from the devil.

How can anyone after they are given so much evidence of the evil that goes on around at this time ever endorse such an evil, boggles my mind just how blind people can be

Edited by 1to3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1