• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39,879
  • Topics Per Day:  6.47
  • Content Count:  44,256
  • Content Per Day:  7.18
  • Days Won:  2

Worthy News Brief - October 28, 2019

Friend, simply abide in Him!

John 15:5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Living in Israel all these years, I often encounter amazing stories of God’s deliverance and grow increasingly fond of listening to the fascinating ways He shows His power. During our tour in England recently, we met a man whose family experienced a great miracle during WW1. He tells this incredible story...

That era evinced a dramatic and historic change in the tactics of warfare. Battle lines were formed by trenches and widespread use of chemical weapons often determined the outcome, since chemical warfare had not yet been banned by the Geneva convention.

During one such battle, the British faced a German attack with mustard gas. The British regiment, insufficiently equipped with gas masks, was addressed by commander Lt. Colonel Ernest Vaux (our friend’s great-great grandfather). He stood up and said to his battalion, "Friends, there is no use running… come up here and let us sing a hymn". In that dark and desperate moment, with poison filling the air and all hope evaporating, the soldiers rose out from the trenches and began to sing the powerful lyrics of "Abide with Me" in one accord.

“Abide with me, fast falls the eventide
The darkness deepens Lord, with me abide
When other helpers fail and comforts flee
Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day
Earth's joys grow dim, its glories pass away
Change and decay in all around I see
O Thou who changest not, abide with me

I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness
Where is death's sting?
Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if Thou abide with me

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me
Abide with me, abide with me

As they sang, awaiting their undeniable fate, the wind suddenly began to blow the mustard gas in the other direction. Not a single one of those soldiers died that day. When the war was over Captain Wade (then Private Wade) recalled the miracle of that day and made a painting of the men who rose up singing "Abide with Me." The painting entitled, "The Miracle of Ypres" features a silhouette of the Lord watching over the soldiers in that darkest hour; rescued by Him to fight again another day. (See the image of the painting)

Friend, often when it seems that all hope is lost, God will miraculously intervene for those who abide in Him. We are told in Psalm 11 that He "tests the righteous". Though it may seem to you that His eyes are closed, be assured that He neither slumbers nor sleeps, and that abiding in Him is the securest place on Earth; so that whether He intervenes miraculously or not, you will be safe in Him, who will never leave nor forsake you.

Your family in the Lord with much agape love,

George, Baht Rivka, Elianna & Obadiah
Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Editor's Note: Our preliminary US and UK speaking tour calendar are now online. We have quite a few more dates to add as soon as they are confirmed. If you would like us to minister at your congregation, home fellowship, or Israel focused event, be sure to let us know ASAP. You can send an email to george [ @ ] worthyministries.com for more information. 

Editor's Note: If you have a prayer request, or if you'd be interested in becoming an intercessor, be sure to visit the Worthy Prayer Team!

Friend, if our ministry has blessed you, consider supporting our work online and in Israel! Thank you for your prayers and gifts! Together, we are making a difference for the Kingdom!
Around the World
Dead end: Inside the two-hour Delta Force raid that killed ISIS leader Baghdadi
More than five years after the Islamic State first took root in Iraq and Syria, President Trump confirmed on Sunday its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, was killed in Syria during a raid by U.S. special operations forces.
EU likely to agree Brexit delay as PM Johnson seeks an election
The European Union is likely to agree a 3-month flexible Brexit delay on Monday as British Prime Minister Boris Johnson pushes for an election after he was forced by his opponents to request an extension he had pledged he would never ask for.
U.S., China say they are 'close to finalizing' part of a Phase One trade deal
U.S. and Chinese officials are 'close to finalizing' some parts of a trade agreement after high-level telephone discussions on Friday, the U.S. Trade Representative’s office and China’s Commerce Ministry said, with talks to continue.
Defying Hezbollah, Lebanese take to the streets for 10th day
Demonstrators in Lebanon blocked roads and trickled into streets across the country for a tenth consecutive day Saturday, defying what they said were attempts by Hezbollah to defuse their movement.
Defying Crackdown, Hundreds of Iraqis Protest for Third Day
Hundreds of Iraqi protesters remained in Baghdad’s central Tahrir Square on Sunday, defying a bloody crackdown that killed scores over the weekend and an overnight raid by security forces seeking to disperse them.
US: Talks progressing with Saudis on possible nuclear program
US Energy Secretary Rick Perry said on Saturday that conversations with Saudi Arabia on a nuclear program are going forward.
US still pressing Turkey to nix Russian missile purchase, official says
The United States is still in talks with Turkey to get Ankara to 'walk away' from the Russian missile defense system it bought, a senior State Department official said on Friday, but warned Turkey that the risk of sanctions over the issue persisted.
Chile government promises reform after a million take to the streets in biggest protests for decades
Chile’s president called for a major cabinet reshuffle a day after widespread protests against inequality saw a million people flood Santiago’s streets.
Catalonia crisis: Separatist protest draws 350,000 in Barcelona
About 350,000 people have protested in Barcelona over the jailing of separatist leaders from Spain's Catalonia region, police say.

Israel-Palestinian Conflict
Kushner back to gauge political climate to determine plan rollout...again
US presidential adviser Jared Kushner is expected to meet on Monday with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and prime ministerial hopeful Benny Gantz to test the political waters here and determine when it will be possible to release the oft-delayed US peace plan.
Netanyahu, Gantz government talks bear no fruit
Blue and White leader MK Benny Gantz and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met in Tel Aviv Sunday to negotiate terms for the establishment of a unity government in a round of talks that did not lead to any new developments besides a promise to meet again for further negotiations.
Hezbollah chief warns of civil war, says Israel exploiting Lebanon protests
Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah on Friday warned that ongoing massive anti-government protests in Lebanon could plunge the country into civil war, and accused Israel and other countries of working to take advantage of the demonstrations to fuel unrest.
Israel and Jordan mark 25 years of imperfect peace
The Naharayim park was established 25 years ago as a symbol of the landmark peace agreement between Israel and Jordan.

Inside the United States
U.S. Budget Deficit Hits $984 Billion, Highest In 7 Years
The federal deficit for the 2019 budget year surged to $984.4 billion, its highest point in seven years, and is widely expected to top the $1 trillion mark in coming years.
Al-Baghdadi takedown catches Dems flat-footed, blunts criticism of Trump's Syria pullback
President Trump's successful operation to take out Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi sent Democrats scrambling on Sunday, as several top party leaders had complained publicly in recent days that the White House had no 'real plan' to combat the terror group following the U.S. pullout in Syria.
Rep. Katie Hill of California Resigns Amid Ethics Probe
Democratic congresswoman Katie Hill of California has resigned amid an ethics probe and revelations of an affair with a campaign staffer.
Trump says he kept details of ISIS operation from Pelosi to avoid leaks
President Trump said Sunday morning that he did not tell House Speaker Nancy Pelosi about the U.S. military raid in Syria that resulted in the death of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi because he was worried about leaks that could have compromised the mission.

Letters to the Editor

Editor's Note
If you would like to submit a note to the editor, simply hit reply. Be sure to add your name and location!

We're looking for intercessors to pray for our ministry online and in Israel. If you're interested, please send an email to george [@] worthyministries.com.

Friend, help spread WORTHY BRIEFS, now reaching 126 countries daily! Forward this brief to a friend!

IMPORTANT NOTE: To ensure delivery of your Worthy Brief please add worthynewsbrief [@] worthynetwork.com to your address book or approved senders list.

If you're having problems receiving your Worthy Brief, click here!

Follow Us on Facebook
Worthy News
Worthy Devotions
George Whitten
Lazman Hazeh Music

Support our Ministry
Friend, if our ministry has blessed you, consider supporting Worthy Network with a tax-deductible gift! You can give online OR send gifts to:

Worthy Ministries
106 Sheffield Place
Franklin, TN 37067-4437

Please include your email address in the memo section of your check or money order so we can keep in touch a bit easier than sending mail overseas.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>

unsubscribe from this list | Update Subscription Preferences

Worthy News · 106 Sheffield Place · Franklin, TN 37067-4437 · USA