In need of some encouragement/exhortation

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Firstly, a big thank you again to those who welcomed me here. 

I'm in a bit of a complicated situation because several things are happening at once. 

I've been struggling the past few days with slipping back after a couple of comments were made to me by another believer.  I won't go into them as I've already had assurance that the comments were overly harsh and not warranted, but it made me realise that I am really not very emotionally resilient and have been too led by ups and downs of feelings and circumstances in my relationship with God, even though just before the remarks I had felt really positive. 

I don't work currently and haven't for some time.  I was going to push ahead and apply for something part-time.  However, the downward spin I've found myself in the past few days has alerted me to the fact that perhaps I am not really able to manage pressures in a secular environment at the moment .   There is a painting group that I'd love to go to, although it classes with one bible study class,  and I'm thinking that as for many years I've wanted to do something artistic that this might be a good opportunity.    I haven't done anything before, partly because it seemed to affect my relationship with one of my parents (who also has wanted to do art).  But its become even more evident, that distancing myself from my parents (non-Christian) might be best for my health.  

In addition, I've just come out of a church after a new elder came and a group I was going to stopped, although I have been told that I am welcome still to visit.   So I am not well knitted into a church family currently and if possible, would be grateful for prayer about this, especially that it would become really clear where I am to be.

Thanks for reading this far.   I've tried not to get overly deep, but at the same time highlight the fact that I've been struggling (again!).   

• Thanks 1
  • Praying! 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, sapphire15 said:

Thanks for reading this far.   I've tried not to get overly deep, but at the same time highlight the fact that I've been struggling (again!).   

Hi @sapphire15,

There's a lot of people with heart out there who find themselves in somewhat of an emotional instability from time to time. And it's also easy to become discouraged when allowing the cares of this world to overcome our faith in Christ. Regular church attendance can help immensely if the service and preaching of the Word is found to be edifying. It's an effort finding a church that's fulfilling for all our needs. 

Makes things difficult in this day and age, does it not? Things aren't expected to become all that much easier as the day approaches for the Lord's coming, and He understands our struggles. I'm so thankful to Him that He's our advocate before the Father, who continually intercedes on our behalf, all the time while watching carefully over us. This is an encouraging and comforting thought for me personally.  

If finances aren't a problem at this present time, it's okay to take the time to find just the right opportunity for an occupation or career. We can trust on His guidance and leading in our lives. We are His, and He has our future all arranged as we continually look to Him for our daily needs. We only have to live one day at a time, and not be overly stressed for the next day. Praying that you find the encouragement you're seeking. God bless. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

Hi Sapphire15,

Welcome again. Everyone needs encouragement and especially a Christian who is struggling in this worldly world of ours. Kindness and hope given can really lift up our hearts. My best advice is to keep your eyes focused and trusted on God.  You may not see it now, but God has a plan for you and everything you face is under His control.  I think you should pursue your interest in art. Painting, drawing or creating is a wonderful gift from God and will be a wonderful way to express your feelings in your work. Sometimes family can be a hindrance to what we want to do in life, but this is "your" life.  Strengthen and fortify yourself in God's word so you can stand on a firm foundation when other people are unkind or insensitive to you.

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, sapphire15 said:

Firstly, a big thank you again to those who welcomed me here. 

I'm in a bit of a complicated situation because several things are happening at once. 

I've been struggling the past few days with slipping back after a couple of comments were made to me by another believer.  I won't go into them as I've already had assurance that the comments were overly harsh and not warranted, but it made me realise that I am really not very emotionally resilient and have been too led by ups and downs of feelings and circumstances in my relationship with God, even though just before the remarks I had felt really positive. 

I don't work currently and haven't for some time.  I was going to push ahead and apply for something part-time.  However, the downward spin I've found myself in the past few days has alerted me to the fact that perhaps I am not really able to manage pressures in a secular environment at the moment .   There is a painting group that I'd love to go to, although it classes with one bible study class,  and I'm thinking that as for many years I've wanted to do something artistic that this might be a good opportunity.    I haven't done anything before, partly because it seemed to affect my relationship with one of my parents (who also has wanted to do art).  But its become even more evident, that distancing myself from my parents (non-Christian) might be best for my health.  

In addition, I've just come out of a church after a new elder came and a group I was going to stopped, although I have been told that I am welcome still to visit.   So I am not well knitted into a church family currently and if possible, would be grateful for prayer about this, especially that it would become really clear where I am to be.

Have a nice long talk with God. Tell Him everything that is on your heart. Give Him control of your life and sit back and see how He guides you and directs you in your life. 

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I've often said that I'm like Humpty Dumpty. No matter how much or how hard I try, I just can't seem to put myself together. You're only ever Humpty Dumpty to yourself, though. You know who can put those pieces back together? God. We all get a bit slippery and have times of difficulty, but they are learning opportunities, to turn to God and learn something new.

I guess I can't push you into a secular job, but keeping your body busy can be good. Some chores around the house, some exercise... You'd be amazed at how much it can improve your mood.

You might also consider online painting tutorials - that way it doesn't have to clash with the class. Any form of art can be nice; I like to try out poetry when the mood hits me.

I don't know what to say about the church part other than to maybe give it time. I hope things can come together for you at some point.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Hi @sapphire15,

There's a lot of people with heart out there who find themselves in somewhat of an emotional instability from time to time. And it's also easy to become discouraged when allowing the cares of this world to overcome our faith in Christ. Regular church attendance can help immensely if the service and preaching of the Word is found to be edifying. It's an effort finding a church that's fulfilling for all our needs. 

Makes things difficult in this day and age, does it not? Things aren't expected to become all that much easier as the day approaches for the Lord's coming, and He understands our struggles. I'm so thankful to Him that He's our advocate before the Father, who continually intercedes on our behalf, all the time while watching carefully over us. This is an encouraging and comforting thought for me personally.  

If finances aren't a problem at this present time, it's okay to take the time to find just the right opportunity for an occupation or career. We can trust on His guidance and leading in our lives. We are His, and He has our future all arranged as we continually look to Him for our daily needs. We only have to live one day at a time, and not be overly stressed for the next day. Praying that you find the encouragement you're seeking. God bless. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

hi David/BeauJangles,

Thank you for your kind and understanding reply to my post and also for highlighting the care of our Lord as he watches over us.  

I agree that regular church attendance can be really important - I do need to give this issue more thought.  I have been going but have often wavered over which was the 'right' place for me attend.  

Thanks too for reminding me that 'we only have to live one day at a time' and also not to be overly stressed for the next.  Sometimes it seems I need to hear things over and over!   I haven't been listening to many songs lately which probably hasn't helped - its quite quiet at home - thinking about it now, encouragement so often comes through Christian songs that I really ought to switch the radio on or perhaps listen to a playlist on youtube.

May God bless you and encourage you too,

Sapphire15

• Praise God! 2

5 hours ago, lovethelord said:

Hi Sapphire15,

Welcome again. Everyone needs encouragement and especially a Christian who is struggling in this worldly world of ours. Kindness and hope given can really lift up our hearts. My best advice is to keep your eyes focused and trusted on God.  You may not see it now, but God has a plan for you and everything you face is under His control.  I think you should pursue your interest in art. Painting, drawing or creating is a wonderful gift from God and will be a wonderful way to express your feelings in your work. Sometimes family can be a hindrance to what we want to do in life, but this is "your" life.  Strengthen and fortify yourself in God's word so you can stand on a firm foundation when other people are unkind or insensitive to you.

hi lovethelord,

Thank you so much for understanding and for replying to my post.  I think the art class might be on tomorrow - I'll have to check - yes, I think going to it is the right thing to do so hopefully I'll still be able to.  

I agree that I do need to strengthen myself in God's word.   I came across some helpful online videos about studying the bible, which have encouraged me not only to aim at studying much more carefully, highlighting verses and looking into word meanings - but also to just read every day, no matter how I am feeling - because whilst I am reading I am familiarising myself with God's word better and then God willing, things can come back to my remembrance better.   I realise that may seem obvious to most, but I'm typing this out to tell myself again before I go to sleep!   I had got into a negative habit of just opening the bible randomly quite a lot to read, so I still have not read it all the way through.

Thanks again and may the Lord bless and encourage you too,

Sapphire15

Edited by sapphire15
  • Praise God! 3

5 hours ago, Blue Lulu said:

Anyone who says anything negatively to you that is not spoken in love should be taken with a grain of salt.  Your relationship is with the Lord and although we are not where we may want to be we are growing in the right direction if we are following Christ.  In fact being exposes to these harsh people is a good way to learn to not live on the emotional roller coaster of feelings.  I find it is a slow process but being able to look back and see how I reacted poorly in the past helps me now.  Praying for you to find a loving and welcoming church family.  

hi Blue Lulu,

Thank you for that word of wisdom not to take to heart something which is not spoken in love, and thank you for your prayer over a church family.   

May God bless and encourage you too,

Sapphire15

• Praise God! 1

5 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Have a nice long talk with God. Tell Him everything that is on your heart. Give Him control of your life and sit back and see how He guides you and directs you in your life. 

hi missmuffet,

Thank you!!   I found your advice very grounding and encouraging and it helped me to get back where I needed to be - in prayer before Him.

May God bless and encourage you,

Sapphire15

• Praise God! 1