missmuffet

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

Fyi, not all dna testing companies are good. Some results have been false or not detailed. Check the credentials of any you consider using.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, OneLight said:

Thanks Neighbor - I asked because both of my parents history is very very short.  I didn't know if most depended on the test to determine what nationalities they encompassed.

You are welcome.  The DNA gave indications that kept getting narrowed down by the company 23 and me I think it is called, as they added more and more medical propensities from their studied.  Their ancestry help was not as good as Heritage has been.

What has happened is other families are searching out the same people, we get linked  by the companies and gain information we never would have picked up on our own, and the tree it grows and grows, more a family bush  than a tree. I saw the picture of an old car wreck I knew my great aunt was killed in that car, and so I was able to share of who was in that vehicle nearly 80 years ago.  That has helped another in their search for  part of their tree. It is a lot of linking like that  the companies make possible. A good service if one  is interested.

Plus we share pictures and ask who is this, others say hey that is my great a uncle so and so and so on the hnt goes and many join in sharing. It was fun, but just was taking too much  of my own time. Plus I know some things best left alone. Nothing that would help as far as chasing ancestry, but the why of some relationships and family animosities. Those kinds of things are best left as dead ends.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

What are your roots?

From what is known, my great grandfather came to the United States from Italy. This would be on my mother's side of the family. And my grandfather from my understanding had some French/Cajun on his side of the family. 

My father's side had a last name indicating descendants from the United Kingdom, so that much has also been established. One of my doctors did a DNA test to discover his origin and was surprised with the results. 

He is from India, and of the Brahmin caste (class) - the highest in that country. His results came back with some roots from Afghanistan of all countries, which he did find quite interesting. It would be nice to try DNA also. 

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, OneLight said:

Dis all of you take some sort of DNA test to determine this or is this passed down through the generations?

Ancestry.com and others have a deal where you send them your DNA, they analyze it and send you your heritage and genetic makeup. It's become extremely popular. In this day and age, crime investigators are solving many old and current crimes using DNA through the governments DNA bank. Everyone who ever just gets arrested has to submit to a DNA collection for that database. What do you suppose companies like Ancestry does with your DNA, other than for the intended purpose you submitted it for? Dollar to a doughnut they're selling your bio-metric information to that database. 

See where my conspiracy theory mind is going on this? I'll not even mention what medical insurance companies can do with this information for premiums and denial.

Edited by Dennis1209

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

No DNA test here, just word of mouth.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

I'm 33% Irish, 31% German, 27% England/Wales, 6% European Jewish, and 3% Eastern European/Russian.

Edited by Lolly

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

UK for me, specifically Scotland, Ireland, and Wales.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Appalachian hillbilly. That's good enough for me!  :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

8 hours ago, ayin jade said:

I didnt take a dna test. I would like my dad to, since there is a strong likelihood his mother/my grandmother was sephardic jewish. What I know came from family records. My norwegian roots are fresh. Ive seen the ancestral farm and met all the relatives there, the cousins aunts and uncles. 

I also would like to know if my roots contain Sephardic Jewish traces.

My father's grandmother was an Isleños from south Louisiana.  That's Hispanic with roots to the Canary Islands.  He, with the help of a lot of other people over years, have that line traced back to the 14th century in Spain.  It's all documented when they left Spain for the Canary Islands in the 15th century and to Louisiana in the 18th century.

They were/are very Catholic and very Hispanic.  

But....the Catholic church of Spain has kept record for centuries of those that were not Spanish, but Sephardic Jews either posing as Spanish but retaining Jewish religion and traditions in secret during those days of great persecution or having converted to Catholicism by personal choice,  yet retaining Jewish ethnicity, obviously.  My g-grandmother's family name is in those records, but that does not mean all those Isleños are Sephardic Jews.

Several years ago, it was not possible to trace the mother's mitochondrial DNA in anyone, period.  So he asked a young relative in south Louisiana to get tested because he was descended from my g-grandmother's brother.  My dad spent a long time with him discussing the whole Jews from Spain thing, but the young man refused because he didn't want to know if he had a Jewish background.

But, I understand that 23 and Me CAN reach the mitochondrial DNA.  I've not had mine tested, but would love too.

On my mother's side, it's British all the way.  But my dad's side - it's German and Spanish [or Jewish].  My g-grandmother's two sons were very swarthy looking.  So was my dad's brother, but not my dad.  I have the dark hair, but not the swarthy complexion.

I really enjoy watching you-tube videos of people who have had theirs tested.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

7 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

Though I had no interest in the subject I had dna done by two of the chase your own ancestry companies because, I am the male survivor of an age group and the females wanted my  ancestry to confirm some trait. So I did it. Then I started doing the research of my lineage and got interested for awhile. It is time consuming!

By way  of US census records and English records I am able to trace back to the early 1600's. Seems to be that  I am English and French. And American by way  of early family that made it to Nova Scotia, English Canada, and then into the USA, via the timber industry enterprise, ship building, and the shoe industry flourishing at Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. Had Canadian ancestors hire on to raid the English army posts and had seamen do battle during  the American revolution. All interesting for a bit, but really became a so what issue  for me.

Mostly I learned many of the "secrets" of who bedded whom that should not have and what became of the relationship. We even found we had a living cousin we never knew, and two of us found out  of a half brother that was not known about until last year when they met after doing ancestry research, They never knew  they were related a though he was a school classmate and friend of two in the family, and they have all lived in the same town all their lives. We learned much of this while having a grand time at a reunion celebration while celebrating my mother's lifetime  here on the planet.

Oh, I did also learn some medical traits and propensities from the DNA, but again at age 75 it is a so what issue for me. I guess it was fun, but nothing I will continue to pay  for to companies in order to continue on researching. After all I can not go backward, and I can't really know of tomorrow either. So I take today  for what it presents and give thanks to God for it all.

Actually as I type I realize I do have to add that it has been helpful to me in my reading of the Bible and seeing the affect of the genealogy. Perhaps I am more attuned to following and picking up on what those genealogies reveal in the Bible, now that I have  done some research about myself.

Did the two companies that did your DNA both come back with the same results ? 

I wonder how accurate they are.