Praying Psalm over enemies

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

We are saved because we repented and are forgiven.

As Christians we are to forgive as God forgave us.

Do you agree with me so far?

But we are only forgiven because we repented.

God does not forgive those who have not repented.

You are saying that we must do what God does not do.

How is that to imitate God?

Where you are confused is we have to be willing to forgive, if there is repentance then we MUST forgive.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

Yes we are saved through receiving Christ Jesus as Lord of our lives and repentance ( the act of turning away from the sin in which we comitted) 

You said ( as Christians we are to forgive as God forgives.) The answer is yes. Just as Jesus forgave those who didn't ask for it as he hung dying for us on the cross.

In Luke 6: 27-39 explains how to deal with enemies. Just as those people who put Jesus on the cross that day and even today many remain enemies of Jesus Christ, we must as Christ himself forgave them for what they did and continue to do to him. This is not saying they are forgiven of their sins because they are not. Jesus forgave them for what they did to him, yet they were still his enemies. We MUST do the same. 

Another perfect example of Godly love and forgiveness with no conditions, is in Acts 7: 54-60 where Stephen is being killed (martyered) for the sake of Christ. What did he cry out? ( Do not hold this sin against them!!!) 

God does forgive people who sin against him personally, he holds no grudge against any man. They however are not forgiven of their sins because they refuse to receive forgiveness and a relationship with the one and only savior Jesus Christ. 

There is no confusion when you understand God is love, he is holy, perfect and has made it possible to walk like him through Christ. This is our daily walk to become more like Christ as we deny ourselves, crucify our flesh and walk in the spirit.

Confusion and not freely forgiving others is not of God, these are simply devices of Satan to destroy the gospel of Christ, to cause people to fall and to harbor forgiveness in their hearts. At a later time, Satan will mock and laugh at those who so sadly didn't forgive and has lived with hardened hearts. For as God declares: Matthew 6: 15, but if you will not forgive men, neither will your father forgive you.

I will still pray for you

1 hour ago, Revlori said:

You said ( as Christians we are to forgive as God forgives.) The answer is yes. Just as Jesus forgave those who didn't ask for it as he hung dying for us on the cross.

Another perfect example of Godly love and forgiveness with no conditions, is in Acts 7: 54-60 where Stephen is being killed (martyered) for the sake of Christ. What did he cry out? ( Do not hold this sin against them!!!)

Both of those examples are where the offended party asks God to deal with the offenders.

They ask God to forgive, but God only forgives when there is repentance, we do not know whether they were forgiven or not.

You talk of love, yet show no consideration for those who have suffered real harm at the hands of unknown attackers. By demanding that people who have been seriously hurt automaticly forgive their attackers you cause real harm to those who haven't had time to come to terms with their injuries.

The biblical procedure is to rebuke/inform the person who has cauised harm, if they say sorry to forgive them.

If they do not recognise they have cause harm to take it to the elders for them to talk to the offender and for the elders to apply church discipline, if that results in repentance to forgive.

You are saying no matter what happens one must forgive, despite the fact that God does not do that.

In seeking to be loving you are potentual very cruel.

You are very sincere, however you are sincerely wrong. 

Those real accounts written in God's word are complete unselfish acts of forgiveness because of divine love, mercy and grace, by our perfect savior and a devoted follower of Christ. There is no conditions. Jesus is God (the third person of the trinity) And so God did and does forgive people who sin against him without repentance. A sin so horrific as murder, those who were about to be murdered forgave them, they never asked for forgiveness or repented, they never thought they needed it. The murders believed they were in the right. Now afterwards I'm sure people realized they sinned and if they repented, God forgave them for killing. Paul did and was forgiven for ordering that death and for everything else he did. However Stephen already forgave him before his death.

I have only shown you God's love. God is love. God, Through Christ also gives us the grace to forgive people who have done horrific things  to us and others. He also heals wounds and put lives back together. Holding unforgiveness, bitterness and hatred produces a hard heart. This is not of God. With such things one can never begin to heal from their pain unless they let go of it through Christ, and forgiving those who caused it. 

Yes I am saying no matter what, we as children of God through Christ must forgive with no conditions. And Yes God does.

You sound as though you yourself are in pain, perhaps from something deeply hurtful or may be you know of someone who is. If this is the case, freedom comes through love and forgivness. God can and will help anyone who calls upon him. He gives grace and all things are possible through him and him alone. We can't forgive anyone if God doesn't help us, everything we do is by the holy spirit working in us. For it is not by my might not by my power but by his. It is Through his love working in us that we forgive, show mercy and apply grace. 

Your in my prayers

16 hours ago, Revlori said:

You are very sincere, however you are sincerely wrong.

Those real accounts written in God's word are complete unselfish acts of forgiveness because of divine love, mercy and grace, by our perfect savior and a devoted follower of Christ. There is no conditions. Jesus is God (the third person of the trinity) And so God did and does forgive people who sin against him without repentance. A sin so horrific as murder, those who were about to be murdered forgave them, they never asked for forgiveness or repented, they never thought they needed it. The murders believed they were in the right. Now afterwards I'm sure people realized they sinned and if they repented, God forgave them for killing. Paul did and was forgiven for ordering that death and for everything else he did. However Stephen already forgave him before his death.

I have only shown you God's love. God is love. God, Through Christ also gives us the grace to forgive people who have done horrific things  to us and others. He also heals wounds and put lives back together. Holding unforgiveness, bitterness and hatred produces a hard heart. This is not of God. With such things one can never begin to heal from their pain unless they let go of it through Christ, and forgiving those who caused it.

Yes I am saying no matter what, we as children of God through Christ must forgive with no conditions. And Yes God does.

You sound as though you yourself are in pain, perhaps from something deeply hurtful or may be you know of someone who is. If this is the case, freedom comes through love and forgivness. God can and will help anyone who calls upon him. He gives grace and all things are possible through him and him alone. We can't forgive anyone if God doesn't help us, everything we do is by the holy spirit working in us. For it is not by my might not by my power but by his. It is Through his love working in us that we forgive, show mercy and apply grace.

Your in my prayers

How individuals react is entyrely up to them, but Christians are commanded to imitate God/Jesus, there forgiveness is ONLY given when there is repentance.

You say there is no condition, if the requirement is to repent then there is a condition.

Look at MKatt 5:23+24 when about to offer a sacrifice, if one realises there is a disagrement etc between one and another. That sacrifice is to be left at the alter an one is to journey to find that person and be reconciled. That means someone has to say sorry.

Matt18:21-35 the unjust servant. He repented before the king and was forgiven. His debtor repented but because he would not forgive, he was judged.

The theam runs right through the bible, we repent/say sorry/make amends call it what you like then as Christians we must forgive.

What is interesting is you do not take up the problem of a severly hurt person who is being told to forgive the offended, even though they have not had time to come to terms with their hurt.

No where have I implied that by not forgiving an offender, that one has to hang on to feelings of hurt, anger, resentment etc.

By saying that is the alternative you show you do not understand the topic of forgiveness.

You lack understanding of God's love.

Jesus clearly forgive those who had beaten him, spat upon him, and hung him on the cross. This was a personal attack upon Christ, HE forgave them when they never asked.

Their sins were not forgiven, this does take repentance and they had to go before God at that time for forgiveness for there personal sin. But Jesus had forgiven them for what they did to him.

When one comes to you and slaps you in the face, you have the choice to forgive that person for slapping you,as a christian, you forgive them and turn the other cheek ( those without Christ  wont forgive) as a christian,you can also choose not to forgive however you aren't displaying the very character of Christ and you now are quirky and are in need of forgiveness yourself. God is very clear, if you don't he won't. 

You ( if a born again Christian, lover of God, an ambassador of Christ )and I ( being the same)must forgive others as Jesus did. For those who sin against you personally don't have to ask you. They won't in most case's, because just like those who crucified Christ they believe it's alright to do what they have done. 

Without forgiveness one can't let go of pain, hurt,anger or resentment. The word forgive means to let go. You can't let go of you dont forgive. 

You are going against God's word, you are going against God himself and you are in great error for telling anyone not to forgive those who hurt them unless they ask. This is wrong.This is a sin.

Read 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 to understand love. 

Read Matthew 18: 21:35 to understand forgiveness from the heart of those who will not repent. ( FORGIVE)

Read Colossians 3: 12-17 to understand your new nature as a born again Christian. ( forgiving one another)

Read Ephesians 4: 25-32 to understand not to grieve the Holy spirit (forgiving one another)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

A word of advice.

The Bible does have imprecatory prayers in it. But, if memory serves, they are all Old Testament.

Jesus commanded we pray [for] our enemies... IMHO as the New Testament makes believers in Jesus

temples of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 3:16).

Even in our "sick 'em" prayers we can conjure up evil in our hearts and grieve the Holy Spirit. And we do enough

of that from our sins already. Add to this the bitterness (self destruction) of hate and resentment...

I know, I spent MANY years doing just this.

Then I came across a prayer in the movie (of all things) Fiddler on the Roof when asked if there was a blessing for the Czar,

the rabbi replied "May the LORD bless and keep him... far away from us!"

Intended to be a humorous pause in a song, there the answer was before me. 

BLESS and keep our enemy(ies) far away from us.

It obeys the command of Jesus, and it puts God's dealings with them in God's hands (where they belong).

Even still, at times I brood and get sullen and grumble at the way some have treated me or my family and I have caught

myself then (realizing I am trying to take it out of God's hands again). On a couple occasions I even "felt" the Spirit ask 

me if I wanted to take over on how he would have otherwise dealt with them (and my own inadequacy came quite clear).

"No, no I can't. I confess this sin, O Lord and pray you bless and keep them far away from us."

He let me know he was willing to stop and let me take the reigns if I wanted, but I realized then how stupid I was being

and relented.

Jude 9 (AV)
9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

This is also my response to those who believe they can shout down Satan or his demons.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 10/31/2019 at 3:47 PM, Revlori said:

I know someone who is continuing to pray many verses from the book of Psalm over there enemies. Those who they consider there enemy have continued to reject every invitation of salvation and claim they are an atheist. They are causing many problems for this person and there family by spreading destroying lies, causing harm and it looks like bureau of man, they have gotten away with it and continue to do so ( however we know nothing is out of God's sight and all is recorded) however my question is: is this the right way to pray for one's enemy like this?

Thank you, you friend in Christ

The right way to pray for an enemy--forgive them, pray for their salvation (above any other blessing you'd pray over them)!

On 04 November 2019 at 1:00 PM, Revlori said:

You lack understanding of God's love.

Jesus clearly forgive those who had beaten him, spat upon him, and hung him on the cross. This was a personal attack upon Christ, HE forgave them when they never asked.

Their sins were not forgiven, this does take repentance and they had to go before God at that time for forgiveness for there personal sin. But Jesus had forgiven them for what they did to him.

When one comes to you and slaps you in the face, you have the choice to forgive that person for slapping you,as a christian, you forgive them and turn the other cheek ( those without Christ  wont forgive) as a christian,you can also choose not to forgive however you aren't displaying the very character of Christ and you now are quirky and are in need of forgiveness yourself. God is very clear, if you don't he won't.

You ( if a born again Christian, lover of God, an ambassador of Christ )and I ( being the same)must forgive others as Jesus did. For those who sin against you personally don't have to ask you. They won't in most case's, because just like those who crucified Christ they believe it's alright to do what they have done.

Without forgiveness one can't let go of pain, hurt,anger or resentment. The word forgive means to let go. You can't let go of you dont forgive.

You are going against God's word, you are going against God himself and you are in great error for telling anyone not to forgive those who hurt them unless they ask. This is wrong.This is a sin.

Read 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 to understand love.

Read Matthew 18: 21:35 to understand forgiveness from the heart of those who will not repent. ( FORGIVE)

Read Colossians 3: 12-17 to understand your new nature as a born again Christian. ( forgiving one another)

Read Ephesians 4: 25-32 to understand not to grieve the Holy spirit (forgiving one another)

Jesus asked his Father to forgive them. He did not forgive them.

God only forgives us when we repent and that is the pattern found through out the bible.

read the two parables Jesus taught that I quoted.

No where have I said that one holds on two the bitterness, anger, resentment etc etc that follows being hurt.

I have repeated said that we follow Jesus example when he was on the cross of handing the situation, the hurt, anger, etc etc over to God.

I'll ask again. A parent has lost their child and are greiving. Is it right that that parent should be asked to forgive a hit and run car driver or should they be counselled to hand the situation over to God.

Which is the more compassionate course of action?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

2 hours ago, Who me said:

Jesus asked his Father to forgive them. He did not forgive them.

God only forgives us when we repent and that is the pattern found through out the bible.

read the two parables Jesus taught that I quoted.

No where have I said that one holds on two the bitterness, anger, resentment etc etc that follows being hurt.

I have repeated said that we follow Jesus example when he was on the cross of handing the situation, the hurt, anger, etc etc over to God.

I'll ask again. A parent has lost their child and are greiving. Is it right that that parent should be asked to forgive a hit and run car driver or should they be counselled to hand the situation over to God.

Which is the more compassionate course of action?

I would counsel the couple to hand the situation over to God and their anger also, via forgiveness. Quite a few hit and run drivers have gotten saved after such forgiveness was exhibited!

• Well Said! 1