• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

37 minutes ago, Who me said:

BB,

As I have said before and will say again.

If one is hurt by another who does not recognise the hurt or is unable to say sorry.

All one has to do is like Jesus on the cross is hand the situation, the people, ones feelings etc over to God for him to deal with.

In doing so one is starting to pray for them and it is upto you as to how far you take that.

What is your understanding of Jesus telling His disciples, "Forgive someone who wrongs you 490 times?" Were each of the 490 wrongs conditional?

If someone borrows money and doesn't repay it, I will never lend to them again, but I shall forgive them. Make sense?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

18 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

What is your understanding of Jesus telling His disciples, "Forgive someone who wrongs you 490 times?" Were each of the 490 wrongs conditional?

If someone borrows money and doesn't repay it, I will never lend to them again, but I shall forgive them. Make sense?

Luke17:“If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. 4 Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”

is the chapter and verse and as Jesus says you tell that brother what they have done and when they say sorry, it won't happen again. You forgive them, even though it has happen umteen hundred times before.

Our example is God. How often does God forgive you or me for the same silly sins daily?

How can we not continue to forgive an irritating brother who genuinly repents of his actions towards us.

• Group:  Diamond Member

On 11/9/2019 at 2:40 AM, Who me said:

Luke17:“If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. 4 Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”

is the chapter and verse and as Jesus says you tell that brother what they have done and when they say sorry, it won't happen again. You forgive them, even though it has happen umteen hundred times before.

Our example is God. How often does God forgive you or me for the same silly sins daily?

How can we not continue to forgive an irritating brother who genuinly repents of his actions towards us.

I remain confused by your stance. Do you never forgive someone who wrongs you and then dies before they can repent? Do you never forgive unbelievers who refuse to repent toward men or God? Doesn't Romans say the kindness of God leads to repentance?

I continue to try to forgive people who do NOT repent of their actions toward me, our Lord said, "Father forgive THEM, they do not know what they're doing."

13 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

I remain confused by your stance. Do you never forgive someone who wrongs you and then dies before they can repent? Do you never forgive unbelievers who refuse to repent toward men or God? Doesn't Romans say the kindness of God leads to repentance?

I continue to try to forgive people who do NOT repent of their actions toward me, our Lord said, "Father forgive THEM, they do not know what they're doing."

The biblical responce is seen in Luke 17 and in how Jesus responded while being crucified.

If someone sideswipes my car or some other action against me and I either do not know who they are, or a known person will not say sorry.

I hand that situation, my feelings and that person over to God to deal with.

I do not need to spend anyemotional energy on them or the situation. If it makes you feel good you can say 'I forgive you.' It does not make me feel good.

Your quote of Jesus is not Jesus forgiving them, but Jesus handing his murders over to God to deal with.

Every instruction found in the bible is given in the context of repentance, when we Must forgive.

4 hours ago, Who me said:

The biblical responce is seen in Luke 17 and in how Jesus responded while being crucified.

If someone sideswipes my car or some other action against me and I either do not know who they are, or a known person will not say sorry.

I hand that situation, my feelings and that person over to God to deal with.

I do not need to spend anyemotional energy on them or the situation. If it makes you feel good you can say 'I forgive you.' It does not make me feel good.

Your quote of Jesus is not Jesus forgiving them, but Jesus handing his murders over to God to deal with.

Every instruction found in the bible is given in the context of repentance, when we Must forgive.

I can agree with you if the scripture said:

"Father, I hand my murderers over to you to deal with, for I know they have not repented."

. . . And Stephen died, saying, "Lord, forgive them for what they've done, but only if they repent first!"

On 13 November 2019 at 1:41 PM, Billiards Ball said:

I can agree with you if the scripture said:

"Father, I hand my murderers over to you to deal with, for I know they have not repented."

. . . And Stephen died, saying, "Lord, forgive them for what they've done, but only if they repent first!"

It is still a request by both Jesus and Stephen.

What you chose to do regarding forgiveness is up to you. But it is when it is falsely taught that Christians must forgive and this is presented to those who have suffered real injury and they are expected to some how express a forgiveness they donot have that I make so much of a fuss about this.

No one here has presented a theology of forgiveness that accounts for how God forgives right through the bible and how we are to forgive, accept myself.

Edited by Who me

1 hour ago, Who me said:

It is still a request by both Jesus and Stephen.

What you chose to do regarding forgiveness is up to you. But it is when it is falsely taught that Christians must forgive and this is presented to those who have suffered real injury and they are expected to some how express a forgiveness they donot have that I make so much of a fuss about this.

No one here has presented a theology of forgiveness that accounts for how God forgives right through the bible and how we are to forgive, accept myself.

I appeal to you because I see Christians not forgiving as developing bitterness and pain further. Jesus has called us to freedom, not unforgiveness and bitterness.

57 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

I appeal to you because I see Christians not forgiving as developing bitterness and pain further. Jesus has called us to freedom, not unforgiveness and bitterness.

Appeal to me for what?

While I agree not forgiving and not passing that incident and emotions over to God leads to bitterness etc.

I am concerned that you do not see the otherside and are unconcerned by the pain and heart ache that is caused by those who think they must forgive, when there is no biblical command that says they must.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

In what has become known as The Lords Prayer, we read "And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors", and a few verses later we also read "For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.". Matthew 6:9-15

Seems pretty clear to me that we are to forgive others.

16 minutes ago, OneLight said:

In what has become known as The Lords Prayer, we read "And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors", and a few verses later we also read "For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.". Matthew 6:9-15

Seems pretty clear to me that we are to forgive others.

I have no problem with forgiving others, what you have not identified is when do we have to forgive others.

Please remember the whole bible teaches that before there is forgiveness there has to be repentance.